Jump to content

69RoadRunner

Members
  • Content Count

    521
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    14

Everything posted by 69RoadRunner

  1. If that requirement isn't removed by July 1, Philmont will cancel treks. Really, that requirement needs to end much sooner than that for rangers and staff flying in to be there in time to be trained.
  2. That's a good question. Philmont is a different animal and BSA has some political pull. They MIGHT get an exception.
  3. We were set to do Powhattan there. We're discussing taking the option of Summit this summer. Their merit badge schedule looks odd to me. Either I'm reading it wrong or they're doing some, like canoeing, in 3 hours. Here's the schedule. Am I reading it right that canoeing is done in 3 hours? http://44qx633l2wnm2ire6p28zc8u-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/JSC-2020-Program-Schedule.pdf
  4. We're now in a bit of a pickle. We have 7 scouts and 2 adults who want to go. We can only have 8. We could probably get enough scouts to make 2 crews with scouts outside of our troop. Getting 2 more adults is the challenge.
  5. Smug, condescending scouters. It's one of the biggest reasons I don't like camporees. That and the troops at camporees who decide cooking breakfast in their troop starts at 4:30am.
  6. What is the coffee situation at NT? Do they provide instant coffee and you boil water in the morning? There isn't much info on this important safety item.
  7. They're all the same. Our NT trek this year is at the end of July is on. We paid for 2 crews, but can only fill 1. We've signed up for Sea Base next year and made the first payment. We've made our deposit. If your trek is still on this year, but you can't make it, you can get a refund minus 10% or apply the payment to an HA trek next year. I'm hoping that we can take 100% of our fees for the NT crew we're cancelling this year and apply it to our payment due for Sea Base next year.
  8. After polling our troop, we only have enough scouts and adults for one NT crew. We'd signed up for 2. Between financial issues (including not having our fundraiser) and peoples' concerns about travel, many chose to drop out. I'm not sure where we are on payments for Sea Base next year and if we can transfer the NT credit for one crew to that or we'll get the refund minus 10%.
  9. Well, it looks like they're going to operate this summer. I'm relieved they'll waive the WFA & CPR requirements. I also like their very reasonable policy of not just allowing people to apply to a later 2020 trek or 2021 trek but also refunds minus 10% if you just can't make it. We're going to poll our troop to see who can/is willing to still go. Losing our mulch fundraiser is going to be an issue for several scouts, I'm sure. We might only be able to fill 1 crew for NT and we registered for 2. http://www.ntier.org/Covid-19/ https://www.philmontscoutranch.org/coronavirus/
  10. I can certainly understand your situation since you've committed the funds. We were just about to do that when everything shut down and we've been in a holding pattern since. I just don't see how the HA camps can expect to operate this summer. Still no WFA classes. People can't get physicals. Financial situations for many people will make it a challenge, too. It's not just the virus risk, it's all the other aspects that will vary greatly troop to troop. I hope we have the option of a refund. We've paid for Sea Base next year, so we can't just push it off a year.
  11. We're going to poll our troop to see who can still afford Northern Tier. We have a very successful mulch fundraiser that was cancelled due to Covid-19. Families were counting on money earned from that to pay for part of the cost. Combine that with people who may be hurting financially and fear of sending their scouts on planes and we likely will have many decline to go. We had a virtual CM last night to discuss our finances in light of no fundraiser along with the summer camp and NT issues. While neither summer camp nor NT is currently cancelled, we're all thinking they most likel
  12. I'm in VA. They're very poorly trying online schooling and there's no talk of going back in the summer.
  13. I hate to say this, but if I ran the camp, I wouldn't allow someone with a high risk condition to attend. It's not worth the risk. And I hate that it's the case.
  14. That assumes there are flights to where we want to go when we want to go. A lot are cancelled. Too far to drive with scouts (we're in VA). It would take multiple days by scout rules.
  15. Our trek is end of July. If it's going to be cancelled, I'd rather know now. I want to go. I want the scouts to enjoy it. I fully understand BSA not being able to give definitive answers. Right now, I have little respect for people who claim to be certain of what the right call to make is for late July. We have a committee meeting (virtual) next week to discuss this.
  16. Northern Tier sent basically the same update, which provides little for us. We had to cancel our mulch fundraiser. We raise a lot of money for scouts to use as Scout Bucks based on the hours they work. We also provide stipends for high adventure and summer camp. That's gone and families were counting on that to pay for both summer camp and Northern Tier. Combine this with the economy taking a hit and we might have some crew members not able to attend. We committed to 2 crews for Northern Tier. I don't know if we'll be able to fill 2 crews. We haven't purchased airfare yet. R
  17. It would certainly be more hygienic to end the handshake in general, not just scouts. As society learned about germs, we made changes to reduce the spread of disease. Civil War "doctors" didn't sterilize their saws when doing amputations. We learned that was a bad idea. It's not unreasonable to discuss ending the handshake. There are people in my office who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom. Some think 2 seconds of water and no soap is good enough. There are many people like this. Do you want to shake their hands?
  18. I agree. I can't see that working. Our state (VA) is on a stay at home order until June 10.
  19. Will my fishnet stockings work or should I get something classier?
  20. I used the low version at Philmont and loved them. I bought the mids to possibly use at NT this summer, assuming that happens. Unfortunately, I can't yet tell you how they'll do. I've also been looking at some tactical boots on Amazon. These Altamas are out of stock, but look like a good option. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07VRCJY3V/?coliid=I31U4HYRJGXFKU&colid=L6ENNQRT388W&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it Another possibility from Under Armor. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B076SRKVFW/?coliid=I2TEB3Q5ITAQYL&colid=L6ENNQRT388W&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_i
  21. Here's another fun problem. One of our adults tried to schedule his annual physical for summer camp. His doctor and many others aren't scheduling well patients. So getting a physical done might be a challenge.
  22. Even if they can, they shouldn't. I hope Philmont is able to operate this summer. This particular crew is just going to have some solo tenters. It's fine. All you're doing is sleeping.
  23. It's good they're working on this. We have the same issue for NT. My son and I are the only ones with current WFA and we have 2 crews. If necessary, I guess he could go on the other crew. This all assumes we're able to fill our 2 crews if NT is open.
  24. Then you'd have to be closed to people coming from areas that are having outbreaks. I don't think the HA camps could do that. They can shut down for certain dates, but there's no way they could close just to certain regions.
×
×
  • Create New...