Slingshot at pack event

I had a situation at a pack event where one of the boys brought a wrist rocket and was chasing and shooting acorns and other objects at people. I didn't hear about this until a few days after the event, but I want to address it right away so that is doesn't happen again. I'm thankful that nobody got hurt. I don't believe this type of weapon or even a toy weapon has anyplace at a scouting function. I plan on having the den leasers speak about the seriousness of this in front of their boys and their parents. I also want to state that if it happens again, there will be some sort of disciplinary action that needs to be taken. Has anyone had this situation happen before? If so, what did you do about it? Also, are there any scout guidelines that talk about this that I can bring up or refer to?

Thanks

No, your correct. I put those types of devices in the same catagory as Archery, BBGuns and Knives. Leave them at home. Knives you have the Whittlin Chit, the rest are done at Council/District Camps/events. Our council had a slingshot range the past couple of years, but it's ran as you would expect.

I have no problem with this.

" Also, are there any scout guidelines that talk about this that I can bring up or refer to?"

As far as I can tell, the G2SS doesn't specifically address slingshots. But the principle is the same as in archery. And archery for cub scouts is limited to scout camp activities, not even allowed as a pack activity outside of day camp or similar situation.

I think if those involved will merely exercise a few neurons they'll understand that this is something that should be prohibited.

G2SS aside, if YOU think it's unsafe, and YOU want to prohibit it, then that's YOUR prerogative! Make sure everyone knows it next time! Personally, I think slingshots should be treated the same as Bow & Arrow, and BB, and should be used only as an organized event.

I agree that it would be considered the same as BB's and Bows and arrows. My main issue is that they weren't just shooting things to shoot. They were shooting other boys and someone could have gotten seriously injured. Personally, if my son was doing this, I would ground him in my own way, but I want it to be know that this is not tolerated what so ever. Bringing it is one thing, but shooting it at others is another. I will come up with some rules of things that are not allowed at scouting events. The sad thing is that this should be common sense and the parents should teach their kids this. Since the bears are allowed to earn the whittlin chip, we will have to keep close watch on this because knives are even more dangerous.

I am not sure I would need a guideline to quote other other than shooting acorns and the like at other people is not very scoutlike at a pack event or other venue

As far as "Punishment" at the next unit meeting levels of behavior have to be established and I am not talking about writing rules, just establishing that an action causing pain and possible injury is not a good idea, under any circumstances

I am not sure I would need a guideline to quote other other than shooting acorns and the like at other people is not very scoutlike at a pack event or other venue

As far as "Punishment" at the next unit meeting levels of behavior have to be established and I am not talking about writing rules, just establishing that an action causing pain and possible injury is not a good idea, under any circumstances

Several years ago I had a new Scout (who really didn't know any better) bring a wrist rocket on a campout. Another kid (who DID know better) had the entire new scout patrol cowering behind their patrol tub while he shot at them with acorns. Several had large welts one was bleeding from a shot he took to the shin.

The idiot doing the shooting went home and got a month off from the troop. In retrospect, malicious injury like that was probably deserving of dismissal.

I don't think you need a rule or set of guidelines or having all the den leaders speak to everyone. You need to talk to the idiot parents and son who did this. He shouldn't have had it, he shouldn't have shot it at anyone, he's never allowed to bring it again, and that's all there is to it.

Probably everybody else in your Pack has enough sense to not let their son bring a wrist rocket to a scout event, let alone let them shoot it at anyone. So there's no reason to chastise everyone or come up with a set of rules or guidelines. Keep it simple, solve the problem you have --- this kid, this family, and that will probably be the end of it.

What's your role with the Pack? I ask because if you're the Cubmaster or Committee Chair, as much as I'd be wondering how to handle this, I'd be wondering if I could trust any of the leaders that was on that event that didn't take action then and there. It seems to me you need to get all your leaders on the same page when it comes to things like this so there wouldn't have been any question that someone wearing a leadership patch from the Pack stepped forward without any hesitation.

Calico,

I'm the CM. The problem was there weren't any leaders that saw this because they were busy with running the activity. One of the boys told me that it happened. I plan on telling the leaders if this does happen in the future to take away the weapon and notify me and we will have to speak with the parents.