Jobs in the troop for older scouts

I'm looking for tasks for older scouts in upper ranks to keep them engaged. My reason is the following: While patrols cook and clean on campouts I constantly repeat "everyone has a job", and it works. While something needs to be done everyone has to help out. There's no arguing, it's easier for PLs to lead, team work develops, the scouts have more fun, it's great. I've also noticed that older scouts, when they have the right responsibility in the troop, also thrive. Scouts that were ready to drop out all of a sudden really get into scouting once they are matched with the right task to do. So I was wondering about taking "everyone has a job" and extend it to the entire troop. Specifically, I'd like to give older scouts in upper ranks an opportunity to own a task to do for the troop. I don't want to make them do it but I want to help them find something they can get into. It could be a cooking instructor, helping younger scouts set goals, organizing a trip, putting together a list of good games, or whatever. It might be a regular position of responsibility or it might not. I don't care as long as the scout sees it as important, he sees that it can be done, and he owns it. This could also be seen as preparation for doing an Eagle project (come up with an idea, create goals and a plan, see it through).

So what kind of tasks does everyone else have for their older scouts?

If you actually use the Patrol Method as measured by the traditional BSA standards of a "Real" Patrol, the most competent older Scouts should be Patrol Leaders, rather than allowing younger boys to switch every six months so that "everybody gets his turn to be a leader."

- Leave No Trace Trainer. This will reportedly become its own POR soon. Promotes LNT techniques in the unit; partners with other trainers in the district or council; runs workshops at special events or in broader community;. Could be placed in charge of a special LNT-themed campout.

- Piggybacking off SM52, try Trailmaster... in charge of trail maintenance projects wherever you go, on conjunction with the local land managers. Studies maintenance techniques and needs; trains Scouts and leaders in same; coordinates special trail projects at summer camp with camp director.

Generally, whenever you have a Scout who's top-notch at a particular skill, who practices and researches that skill on his free time over and over, that Scout should be an instructor of others - whether formal or informal, it doesn't matter. Tap into their passions and let them run with it.

I can think of tasks that boys could be responsible for either as a one outting at a time deal or how ever long you want to make it...

1)tent helper - some of the shorter guys will sometimes have trouble with some tents because they just aren't tall enough to do a couple of the connections

2) camp fire planner and mc - if you do a campfire entertainment then this scout makes contact with the different patrols and finds out what they are doing, makes sure people aren't duplicating, plans the ofder, and works as an MC... I believe this will also tie in with the communication MB

3) free time game planner - boy or group of boys are assigned to plan some sort of game(s) during free time... can be just "fun" games like a game of touch football, a team building game where patrols have to work together to complete tasks, a scout skills game, or well you get the idea.

4) make sure your instructors that are coming have some time if it's appropriate venue to teach some of their skills

What a wonderful problem to have.

We have scouts performing what we call Scout Skills Coordinator(s). Their responsiblity is to have one meeting a month planned as a scout skills relay or game. Each meeting that they run is based on a single skill, could be knots, first aid or any of the skills any t-foot thru first class should know. The winning patrol earns a ribbon to put on their patrol flag.

One of our scouts is writing up a proposal for a POR (scoutmaster approved) to be a POR Mentor. His job will be to work with the SPL to make sure each scout with a POR knows his job and performs it.

A couple of our new Eagles are working with our adult Eagle Coordinators on service project writeups.

Keeps them productive and makes the job of SM a bit more fun. All of these PORs were thought of and proposed (in writing to the SPL and SM) by the scout doing the job.

yis

red feather

JASM

SPL

Why are you the one calling out "every boy has a job?" Sounds to me like the Adult-Run Method. Isn't that your SPL's job?

An alternative is to have them plan somewhat independent activities of the troop, using a venture patrol ... and they are up, fed, and out of camp early on. Their example of getting it done will inspire the younger members.

JASM, Instructor, Troop Guide, QM, Webmaster. I have overseen the new scout patrol program in our troop for several years and now assist the guy I turned it over to. My "preference" for Troop Guides are guys around 15 and up, Life to Eagle. We take guys younger and at lower ranks, but the young boys really look up to and respond to the older guys better. Guys can let us know they are interested in TG, but they have to be selected to serve. They "are the troop" to these new boys and their leadership and example is what sets the tone for every new scout coming into the troop. To me, it is probably one of THE most important positions in the troop.

Kudu,

If you are holding elections, the patrol is choosing who is elected. A 6 month term does not ensure that everyone "gets a turn". We've had guys run every 6 months and they have been the PL for 2+ years. If they do a good job, they get reelected.

Cheermeister, game master, hike master, cook instructor, dutch oven instructor, backpacking master, campfire mc instructor, leave no trace instructor, service project lead, webmaster, color guard master. I like these. Thanks.

Red feather says "All of these PORs were thought of and proposed (in writing to the SPL and SM) by the scout doing the job." I'd like to hear more. How do they come up with ideas? Do they have to set goals for each position? Do the scouts need help defining the position? Can other scouts help them with this? How much mentoring/coaching do they need?

SR540Beaver, I do ask older scouts if they'd like to be troop guides and they're great with that. In fact that's what started this because I had a scout go from almost dropping out to wanting to become SPL after he was troop guide.

I've turned several older scouts around by matching them with the right task. Some like leadership, some like to be the best at something, it depends on their personality. While this really helps these scouts, I'd rather the scouts figure this all out on their own. I'd also like most of the 14-17 year olds having some specific responsibility. So this process needs to be part of the culture of the troop. You know, we have a planning session for the calendar that gives us a very specific set of events but we don't have a planning session for responsibility that would give each scouts a specific set of responsibilities. What if after the calendar is made, or every 6 months, the SPL makes a list of all the PORs he needs, and any scout can propose something they want to add to this list? There's a responsibility planning session (the older scouts are encouraged to go), and other than the PLC, the SPL matches scouts to responsibility. Scouts walk away with a list of goals and the SPL knows who's doing what. Everyone has a job, the calendar is set, scouts can than plan their own time, and then the fun can happen.

Matt,

For each outing we decide on for the annual claendar, we have a scout planner and adult mentor. These are voluntary jobs. The boy who agrees to be the planner is actually responsible for planning the outing. He makes reservations, makes sure he has a MC for the campfire, that the Chaplain's Aid will be prepared or has a substitute, creates the program schedule for the weekend, etc. We usually couple this boy with a less experienced boy who needs to learn the ropes on planning an outing. The mentor is there to assist and guide, but not actually do the work. In my time with the troop, we have only had one outing go south for lack of planning because it was an older boy who said he had it under control and his mentor took him at his word. In the end, we could not go where we had intended to go for a climbing program and had to resort to a spur of the moment plan B. It was a failure at all levels. The mentors are still hands off, but do a better job of asking the scout planner to show them what they have done.

Matt, most of the scout proposed PORs have been their ideas. They saw something that needed done and asked how it could be done. Normally this is brought up in PLC and the SPL takes the idea and brings it to my attention. If it merits a POR then the scout is asked to do a proposal writeup stating the need and what the goals of the POR will be. This writeup usually takes a couple of rewrites to get it up to speed. Once apprpoved the scout, SPL and SM sign it and the scout is then responsible for its duties. Sometimes the POR does not get renewed but usually it does.

Hope this helps.

yis

red feather

What a great way to give the scouts ownership, Red Feather. Do you set expectations that all upper rank scouts need to give service back to the troop? More than just the 4 or 6 months for the POR. It wouldn't have to be as time consuming. Tie that in with them setting their own goals and everyone helps out. I've been talking to some other people about doing this and working the goal setting in with the calendar planning. I'm just not sure what the pros and cons are.

Not sure if 'set expectations' is correct. The scouts started doing this about 9 months ago when the number of scouts needing PORs were more than PORs available. The troop that I serve has traditionally stayed away from some of the 'make do' types of PORs and when these earlier scouts came to me asking for a POR I sent them to the SPL for ideas. Then this just developed into what it is today. Maybe it will last maybe not, but it is what the scouts came up with to fulfill the need. Seems to be working. We do task each new Eagle with a task however. The latest one for expample is responsible for getting the information for and starting a religious award program for the scouts in the troop. His first taste of being on the Road of Eagle not just the Road to Eagle.

We do have high expectations of each scout being personally responsible for their own advancement and of trustworthiness.

They are reaching for the bar that has been set by the troop and I am just holding on and watching them go for it. ;)

yis

red feather