How do you deal with (and prevent) mischief?

I was on the phone today with a friend of mine who is a SM in town. He congratulated me for my son crossing over to another troop 2 weeks ago. His troop, say Troop 2 has a fine boy lead, outdoor oriented program. The troop my son joined is getting there, let's say Troop 3.

SM friend was talking with some of the scouts in Troop 3 at a local event recently. He warned me today that the scouts in Troop 3 like to burn bamboo (found in the area) because it pops and they like to put cans of beans or corn in the fire to watch it explode. He said the same boys mentioned that the adults who camp hang out in some trailer and drink coffee while the boys are outside. I'll be camping on the next outing in March, to set an example, I'll be outside in a tent. How can I let the scouts know that putting cans in fire is wrong and burning bamboo isn't a bright idea either?

This will be my first experience outdoors with this troop.

Thanks in advance.

Gonzo1

Let the Scoutmaster and SPL know what the possible consequences could be, and let them spread the word. I would alos descretely investigate, and make sure that this practice is really happening, or if it is just a case of boys telling stories to impress other boys.

Not at all off base, prairie. That was goin' to be my answer. You prevent mischief by gettin' the adults out the trailer!

Gonz, don't take this the wrong way, buddy, but this isn't your fight yet. You are a new member, and the surest way to sabotage your experience and your son's is to come to the first campout and start telling people what they should or shouldn't be doing. No matter whether you're right or have the best intentions! If you want your son to have a fun, long-term relationship with this program, you must do not an ounce more than politely nudge the SM. If that!

Take the time to observe the good things, and build relationships, before you start tryin' to address the bad things. One whole year. If yeh know you can't manage that, stay home.

But no matter what, don't go to a campout with prejudices based on hearsay. Yeh don't know what the Troop 3 scouts have to say about your friend's Troop 2, after all!

Beavah

One whole year? No. I remember the "first" troop we were associated with. That was their approach. We were allowed to register, but were literally told to sit back and quietly observe. We observed for less than 6 months and every new scout that had joined left for a different troop. If adults are sitting in trailers and boys are exploding cans in the fire, something needs to be said the first time you see it happen. I'll agree that you don't come charging in sight unseen and make accusations based on hearsay. But if you do indeed see it happen, you'd be crazy to just sit by and allow it to continue.....no matter how long you have been with the troop. Safety first, and making things explode in the fire is never safe. It might be "fun", but it isn't safe.

No prairie, not off base at all.

I'd be an observer more than anything. Remember, what you heard was from another leader in another unit. Wait until you have something to talk about before you jump in.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Well a lot has changed in thirty years, most troops at camporees didn't even have trailers then. I don't have enough district or council events under my belt lately to know what accepted practice is now. Glad my gut feelings are still okay!

Beavah, Ed, SR540,

I agree, I'll observe and only comment if there is a flagrant safety issue involved.

OGE,

I'm not sure, I haven't been to this property before, I haven't camped with this troop before, so, I don't know. The COR is a friend, the adults seem nice, here in the South, we call 'em "good ol' boys".

The troop trailer for hauling gear is one that has a kitchen in it, once used for selling food from, kinda like a "roach coach". I plan on tent sleeping, just seems right.

Prairie,

You're not off base, but I'll be interested to see what happens. It's one thing to camp some distance away, to observe, it's another to hide. prairie, a little background, I'm an Eage Scout, been to all the usul courses, been cmte member, ASM, SM, WDL, etc, but recently joined this troop. It should be interesting.

Then there's the whole smoking cigarrettes issues, what to do if the adults start lighting up?

Gonzo, I think you do have to choose your battles carefully as a new parent in the troop- to that extent, I tend to agree with Beavah (though, not necessarily about sitting back and watching for a whole year). Exploding cans in the fire - bad, and something most of us wouldn't want to stand by and ignore. Adults smoking away from the boys - bad, but probably not something you're going to change.

I don't necessarily doubt what other leaders may say, unless there's an on-going feud. I've found that most of the time, other leaders have a pretty good idea of which troops are doing what, especially which ones have problems. Of course I also find that there's a lag. That is, a troop that WAS having problems but has since resolved them, takes a while to shed that reputation among other local troops. So an open mind is a good thing. This might have been a one-time incident a year or two ago. Or not. Be interesting to hear what you think after you have a chance to observe for a bit.

Lets all heed Beavah's advice, it may be time to stop speculating and let Gonzo go and find out whats what for himself, until then its speculation and hearsay (and I speculated a lot, I understand) but if we dont put the brakes on pretty soon we will be convinced they rituallistically sacrifice humans at campfires

Yah, yeh know, I probably couldn't sit still for a whole year either. But it's a good resolution, and it helps folks make it through at least six months. ;)

I think you have to be around long enough to understand and appreciate the good stuff, recognize the stuff that's just different, and of what remains, pick the one or two things that are most important to fix - if you're willin' to do the work to help fix 'em. Mostly, you should focus on buildin' on the good things, eh? So you're not allowed to do anything until you've identified those. Except safety, of course, but truly emergent safety that can't be tipped to the SM/SPL is fairly rare.

I think it usually takes a year to get the whole picture. I reckon it takes at least that long to be seen as a competent friend to be listened to, rather than a problem to be dealt with. So all us critters who tend to be quicker on the draw also have to take extra effort to be gentler on the touch.

Gonzo1,

ouch! hearing "dirt" from a "friend" knocking down the troop your boy choose had to start the negative juices flowing a bit...but please stop take a deep breath...and observe first. Keep in mind that It is not your place to tell the scouts anything...there is a chain of command that only gets "Adult trumped" in a truely "dangerous"or outrageous set of circumstances...

As a new adult before you get down on folks you don't know give them a chance...perhaps there is a reason your son picked this group that is below your radar...maybe he thinks he will have fun and these boys helped him feel that way.

Rumors sometimes are not correct...some times "rough and tumble" troops evolve but the old "rep" hangs on...

little story...our last SM (a true "RGG" - really good guy) freely admits that he was sure his son had made a BIG mistake choosing our rural, rogue troop...a bunch of redneck hard cases...This RGG had been a PM for his cub pack (a good catch for any troop) and had been told that our boys did pranks, were jocks and were intimidating to civilized troops and our scouts made new scouts sing stupid songs....on and on ....

Funny thing is, his son visited several troops twice but only felt truely welcomed by our rough and tumble meanies. Well I guess we brainwashed his dad cause a couple years later "RGG" stepped up as our SM and later walked along side my oldest as he passed his Eagle Board and just last month his own son "scored" an Eagle! (darn jocks!)

Safety first of course...but LOOK things over before you worry about being a back seat driver...pay some dues before you step on toes...its always easier for the old guard to accept "instruction" from someone who is in the program for the long haul than getting a kick in the seat from a "newbie"...just take your time a bit...

And just maybe the "needed adults" watch over the scouts and the "excess adults" get chained up next to the coffee pot...A situation I'd (sometimes)like to see more of.....

good scouting

Anarchist