Outstanding Eagle Scout Award from NESA; Thoughts

http://www.nesa.org/outstanding_eagle.html

Thoughts please; let's try and be nice, and make rational judgment rather than simply knee jerk comments based on animosity or something.

Our council has given a local adult award for a long time very similar to this. It is presented at the annual Eagle Dinner and the recipient is honored as the "head of the class" for that year. Suspect other councils have similar awards. Ours of course is one per year, period, whereas this one can multiply based on number of Eagles in a council the previous calendar year.

I went back and re-read the intent of the award, "Often, these men have devoted a lifetime to their profession, avocation, community, and beliefs, at great sacrifice to themselves and their families. Each recipient should receive recognition worthy of a lifetimes accomplishments."

Clearly, the award is for adults, and not the newly-minted Eagle. I have no problem with it. The award criteria are "made a positive impact", therefore this award would cover those who are not necessarily involved in Scouting. Those Eagles who are involved in Scouting are already eligible for the DAM, SB and other council level awards. I would hate to see it become used to "reward" large donors, however.

As with the Council awards program, which I have been involved with in the past, the challenge will be getting nominations which are written well enough to be worthy of the award, and not just "he's a real good guy".

My understanding is that it is supposed to be the council equivalent of DESA. DESA recipients are not eligible for the award. I think this is an example of "Scouting is Local" being actively encouraged: it allows councils to recognize their own distinguished Eagles (yes, lower-case) without making them compete with other Eagles nationally. The number presented is also linked to the annual number of new Eagles in the council.

"Each council NESA committee may present one NOESA per year, with the option of awarding an additional NOESA for every 100 Eagle Scout awards in excess of 200 awards certified the previous year."

"In addition, DESA recipients may not receive a NOESA, although a NOESA recipient may be nominated for the DESA once he has achieved prominence at the national level and meets the 25-year time requirement since earning Eagle."

Thanks for starting this thread, Skeptic. Like yours, my council has been awarding an "Eminent Eagle" recognition at our annual Eagle Dinner to one local adult who earned the Eagle rank at least 25 years ago and who we feel best exemplifies the life of service and professional achievement we'd like to encourage our new Eagles to emulate. The award recipient is not required to be currently registered in Scouting. Sounds a lot like the intent behind NOESA, with the exception of no 25+ years of required tenure.

Like the DESA, councils aren't required to nominate for it. My council's Eagle Dinner committee decided to stick with what they've been awarding rather than switch over and possibly cause confusion. I think if a council hasn't already been presenting this kind of recognition, the NOESA is as good as any to use.

Eagle707, I'm not too concerned about the danger of giving the award to big-money donors, since the James West, 1910 Fellowship, etc. and the council-level Northern Star recognition can be given to non-Scouters, though I admit the possibility of abuse is always there.

Moxieman, it sounds to me like the balance NESA is trying to strike between DESA and NOESA is the same as between a Lifetime Achievement recognition and a Meritorious Action recognition. A series of meritorious actions in a career might eventually merit a lifetime achievement award. But some single meritorious action shouldn't be overlooked, either, if such public recognition might spur others on to emulate them.

I'm not too sure about the need for linking the number of nominations to the number of Eagle Scouts in a given year, though. One per council per year should be plenty, and I think Papadaddy is spot on with his observation about the challenge of obtaining "nominations which are written well enough to be worthy of the award, and not just 'he's areal good guy'."

Eagle707 scripsit:

NEPA, I think you may have misread my comment. I didn't say anything about donors. I'm completely in favor of this award and have been since it was announced.

D'OH! I had Papadaddy in my reply, then got messed up while I was editing, and put your name in its place. Sorry Eagle707!

I am starting to receive the recognition I most desire.... From the youth I serve.

At the grocery store boy see me and come running up to chat.....At school the come to say hi and chat....They introduce me to their non scouting friends....The boys teachers are beginning to know who I am....Oh your the scout guy....

The best final recognition will be when one of my scouts introduces me to his son who is also a scout..... That is the only recognition I will ever need.....Just one.

If you all need little strips of cloth.....chase them.....I need more than that.....

Right on, basement! I still am "friends" with most of my former Scouts on Facebook...one is now a Midshipman at the Naval Academy. Two brothers are serving in Afghanistan, one Army, one Air Force, and another just got "Sailor of the Quarter" in the Coast Guard. Another graduated from Mass. Maritime and is a licensed 2nd Asst Engineer with the Military Sealift Command. Lifelong friends with many of the parents. Seeing them grow up to be responsible members of society is the best reward...better than a chest full of square knots.

When I first started getting recognized by peers in the program, rather than training, I tended to feel embarrassed for some reason, as I felt somehow it took away from the kids. It took me a long time to understand that peer recognition "is" important, as making contributing individuals feel appreciated is likely to encourage longer service, as well as a hard to describe form of respect from the youth, as well as newer adults.

The key is to understand that recognition is not why you are there, and strive to not make that the focus of your service. It is important to do all we can to stay humble, even when given an honor we may not feel we are equal to or maybe do not deserve, as long as it is not the result of our own direct plotting or planning, so to speak. It is a fine line sometimes, but please do not put an onus on recipients of special awards. That does not reflect well on you, or others grumbling about certain selectees.

I am not sure we will consider this award since we have something very similar, but maybe more prestigious in our own area, already in place. The two could be tied together as well, which would then make the award more visible to the rank and file. Currently, other than those in regular attendance at council events, especially the Eagle dinner, are really aware of who receives our local award. Time will tell.