I work for a large retail store that opened in March. I both sides of our enterances we display a US and state flag verticly. We have received a lot of flack over the correct way to display it. Every referance I have found says US flag on the left, higher than the state flag, and union{blue field) on the top left. We have had several veteran complain about this is in correct, saying the union is displayed in the top right in time of war. I have yet to find a referance verifying this. Has anyone else heard about this, and give me a referance?

Thank you

Ditto F Scouter....

Pull out any Scout Manual...

Hung on a wall, horizontally or vertically, Blue Union hangs on flags own right, the left of the viewer.

Peace (preferable) or war, makes no difference.

"Urban legend" stuff, uh.

Let's go to the ultimate source, the US Flag Code.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=browse_usc&docid=Cite:+4USC7

(i) When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall,

the union should be uppermost and to the flag's own right, that is, to the observer's left. When displayed in a window, the flag should be displayed in the same way, with the union or blue field to the left of the observer in the street.

The US flag doesn't need to be higher than the state flag, it rules only say that the state flag cannot be higher.

I found the following on the Veteran Affairs website,

When the U.S. flag is used to cover a casket, it should be so placed that the union is at the head and over the left shoulder. The flag should not be lowered into the grave or allowed to touch the ground.

When viewed from the foot of the casket the blue field would be to the viewers right. This is my only guess as to where this comes from as I was unable to find anything else where the flag would be with the union on the right.

I served on a funeral/honors detail in the USN and as we were trained that the blue field of our flag is ONLY placed and displayed on a casket of a veteran as being symbolic of the flag embracing the deceased and the blue field covering the heart of the deceased in honor of their service.

If you have any doubt, contact the local American Legion and ask for their assistance. They should be glad to help.

For those that are wondering why the flags on the military uniforms are backwards, here is the reawson.

They are displaying the flag of the advancing military. Meaning when the units are moving foward the flag would naturally have the stripes pointed to the rear. Think of whe a flag is on a car that is going down the road.

Here is another question for all of you. Why do the flags on Naval Ships have the stripes pointing to the front of the ship???

"Here is another question for all of you. Why do the flags on Naval Ships have the stripes pointing to the front of the ship???"

Not always the case as it was in the days of iron men, wooden ships and canvas sails. If a carrier is doing 30 knots, even a 15 knot wind from astern isn't going to blow the flag forward.

On a sailing ship, if the ship in running with the wind, then the flag will stream towards the bow. If you're reaching, the flag will stream toward the leeward side.

Arrrh!

Here is another reference...

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#173

Position & manner of display

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#175

(i) When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and to the flag's own right, that is, to the observer's left. When displayed in a window, the flag should be displayed in the same way, with the union or blue field to the left of the observer in the street.

Concur with all above... follow the flag code as referenced above - plenty of links already.

Some of us Vets get cranky and think things ought to be the way we want them to be...and that people care about the sacrifices we and our brothers made; if you print out the reference and show them that you have researched the answer and are trying to do the CORRECT thing AND that you CARE about doing so, those two factors together should get them to go away thinking well of you AND your business. :)

Better than ONLY showing them that you were right - because they may still not be convinced(we tend to be a hard-headed lot at times) - without the caring part may send them away badmouthing you even though you are correct. :( Wrong but it's the way it often works.

From the United State Code, Title 36, Section 10, Paragraph 175:

(f) When flags of States, cities, or localities, or pennants of societies are flown on the same halyard with the flag of the United States, the latter should always be at the peak. When the flags are flown from adjacent staffs, the flag of the United States should be hoisted first and lowered last. No such flag or pennant may be placed above the flag of the United States or to the United States flag's right.

I would go with what my brother vet Gunny wrote.

briantshore, its not up to you to prove the complainants' case -- if they claim you're doing it wrong, its up to them to produce evidence of that.

Until then, you're doing it right as far as I'm concerned, and until they can produce something to the contrary, with all due respect, I wouldn't waste another second worrying about it.

If you are going by the flag code then you have to know why the flags are hanging there. So briantshore, why are there two large flags draped on either side of the door?

(This message has been edited by Bob White)