• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And then you join and realize 90% of BSA activities are meetings and merit badge clinics where you have to write reports while adult leaders argue if googling information for your report was sufficien

How about going back to an earlier version?

I would say my troop is pretty outdoorsy. We camp 10/12 months, with a lock in IF possible in December and 2 weekends of Scouting For Food in February, being the 2 months we do not camp. Even during C

Posted Images

Name changes and minor program tweaks won't make a significant impact.  I'm seeing a complete collapse of scouting in my area.  Multiple Packs ending, others seeing limited growth.  Multiple Troops in my area are also near collapse.  Summer camps, camporees are losing attendees.  The answer from National... A name change?  I think the change is fine, but hopefully I hear about their plans to reverse the decline.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

A name change?  I think the change is fine, but hopefully I hear about their plans to reverse the decline.

I don’t like it since I feel like it is a distraction. I assume “they” feel like it is “action”, when it really is just a district from the real work. Very disappointing. 

• Upvote 3

Does this mean the BSA has joined with Scouts Mexico and Scouts Canada to form Scouts America? That would be fun. Oh wait, what about South America?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
Posted (edited)

A broader welcoming?  a distraction? ... maybe a lifeboat for upcoming Supreme Court and bankruptcy decisions. Old brand sunsets, new brand rises.

Remember the old 5 year plans with metrics (largely not met). Now we have 5 month plans developed from "surveys" with no metrics.

How much will this cost? What youth membership numbers will we see by Feb, 2025. So is local option void? Patrol method? Does the Federal Charter for the BSA end?

What restructuring will be done to improve efficiency and reduce costs? Could we start with completely new Bylaws?

Will we see a return of past BIG corporate sponsors who left due to our past membership policies?

My $0.01,

Edited by RememberSchiff
clarify

It's like the Army changing the name of Ft. Hood to Ft. Cavasos.  Guess what, nothing else changed and it is still a terrible, depressing place.  Frankly, this sounds like some staffer getting a bullet on an evaluation.  Someone recently went through and changed the names of several organizations in the Army.  Nothing else changed and we're still not getting recruits.

• Upvote 2

I think a lot of you guys who are saying that renaming does nothing haven't quite appreciated how important this is for growing membership and strengthening the program again.

I don't expect to convince you now, but hearing not just that the organization is changing name, but what Krone said about the rationale and the context he put it in, makes it clear to me that Scouting America leadership is willing to do what it's going to take to keep delivering a quality scouting program, but to more young people.

I'll be out there helping make that happen. Back to basics - Scout Oath, Law, outdoors program. No exceptions or faking on the Scout Law and Oath anymore. Everyone is welcome.

https://apnews.com/article/boy-scouts-new-name-scouting-america-d583f5712680f155b4f6b762128734d3

I fully expect Scouting America to overtake GSUSA as the scouting program of choice for girls in 10-15 years now.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, AwakeEnergyScouter said:

Scouting America leadership is willing to do what it's going to take to keep delivering a quality scouting program, but to more young people.

You can’t convince me now because all it ends up being is a name change. Money and time spent. How about some plans? Some actions to really move the needle? And I don’t mean the plans / actions around renaming. Renaming is easy. Success is assured with the renaming. Plans can and will be completed. Growing numbers is hard. How about a review of the 5 year plan and where we are at? Like another said, basically failed. 

23 minutes ago, AwakeEnergyScouter said:

keep delivering a quality scouting program

Tell that to those that went to the Jamboree. I’d like to see how the next WILL be a quality program vs 2023’s meh program. 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

I don’t like it since I feel like it is a distraction. I assume “they” feel like it is “action”, when it really is just a district from the real work. Very disappointing. 

I feel like the name change helps remove a distraction, the constant complaining from folks who still felt like the name "Boy Scouts of America" was some kind of mandate that girls not be allowed. Removing the basis of that argument ("Boy" in the main organization name) means there is no argument anymore. It's part of the org name, it's codified into the primary brand identity. It's done, we can (finally) move on from having to defend the contradiction in the name.

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

Tell that to those that went to the Jamboree. I’d like to see how the next WILL be a quality program vs 2023’s meh program. 

Well, ok.. you have a point. I didn't want to get into program weakness details because I see this as a big picture reframing that will allow us to get to that with good windhorse. Of course, we do have to actually get to that, and I could be mistaken.

But check this brand new marketing video out - this is like a US version of Scouterna's We are raised by adventure video. This is our wheelhouse, we can "sell" it, and people want it. And I'm sure my unit isn't the only one that can deliver (age-appropriately) almost everything in that video to anyone that signs up today. 

7 hours ago, FireStone said:

I feel like the name change helps remove a distraction, the constant complaining from folks who still felt like the name "Boy Scouts of America" was some kind of mandate that girls not be allowed. Removing the basis of that argument ("Boy" in the main organization name) means there is no argument anymore. It's part of the org name, it's codified into the primary brand identity. It's done, we can (finally) move on from having to defend the contradiction in the name.

I have found "duty to God" more of a stumbling block for potential members and their families than the name "Boy".

“It (the rebranding) sends this really strong message to everyone in America that they can come to this program, they can bring their authentic self, they can be who they are and they will be welcomed here,” Krone said.

Will atheists also be welcomed? Will the DRP be removed from the youth membership application (524-406)? Will the BSA Scout Oath (duty to God) and Law (A Scout is Reverent) be changed?

DRP.jpg.68523190916ef0d1cd4cb6511b2d5535.jpg

What was learned from girls BSA membership pilot program from 5 years ago that will be applied to this pilot program?

A lot of questions.

Another $0.01,

• Upvote 2