2023-2024 fees? Any rumors?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll reserve judgment until I read their plan for implementation. There is a chance (albeit a very slight one, IMHO) that national may have an elegant solution. I know, I know... I'm laughin

This is going to be a CF on a large scale.  It briefs well, but the reality is different.  We're now going to have to spend time randomly to get parents to pay for their Scout to recharter rather than

I may get another naughty notice but......this is just another example of how the Boy Scouts of America is a rusty machine that is grinding itself to pieces.  This whole BSA thing is being administere

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

No one is allowed. Pros won't even talk to the school system.

"On January 8, 2002, President George W. Bush signed the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. Part of No Child Left Behind is the Boy Scouts of America Equal Access Act, Section 9525 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, as amended by Section 901 of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (the Boy Scouts Act), which applies to public elementary and secondary schools, local educational agencies (LEAs), and State educational agencies (SEAs) that receive funds made available through the Department of Education. Under the Boy Scouts Act, which became effective on January 8, 2002, no such public school, LEA or SEA that provides an opportunity for one or more outside youth or community groups to meet on school premises or in school facilities before or after school hours shall deny equal access or a fair opportunity to meet to, or discriminate against, any group officially affiliated with the Boy Scouts of America, or any other youth group listed in Title 36 of the United States Code as a patriotic society.

OCR is charged with enforcing the Boy Scouts of America Equal Access Act. Complaints alleging violations of this law may be filed using the OCR online complaint form or by contacting the OCR office with authority to handle complaints where the institution or entity you are complaining about is located."

While this isn't a preferred method since it would cause a lot of tension between the professional and the school, this is something they can use. 

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

@OaklandAndy,

Which is why no groups are allowed to recruit, meet, etc at the schools. 4-H, GSUSA, etc also do not have access.

So even clubs and regular sports are not allowed to use any of the school districts facilities? 

12 minutes ago, Tron said:

So even clubs and regular sports are not allowed to use any of the school districts facilities? 

We and other groups were allowed to meet but not recruit. One of the issues at least where we are is that the number of organizations that are seeking to use the school community as a marketing channel for their offerings has increased exponentially over the past 5, 10, 15 years. Schools cannot handle the onslaught and many districts feel the volume of messages can compete with their own important school related news and events directed at families. Many manage it by saying no  to everyone that isn't school based. School based clubs and sports, yes. Outside organizations like scouts, no. 

The Crossroads of America Council in central Indiana appears to have finalized on a new fee structure.  From a PDF council volunteers received last week:

image.thumb.png.4e83a09eb018293353eeecf7b061c6e1.png

A couple of things to note.  When this plan was first introduced back in February the yearly amount was not $160 but $240,   with the preferred payment mechanism being $20 a month automatically charged to a families credit or debit card.   There was such an outroar over this the council leadership retreated for several months and have returned with this.    Yay.  I still hold to my personal opinion that this will decimate membership in the outlying rural counties of the council, which is where I currently serve as a volunteer.

• Thanks 1
On 7/14/2023 at 3:11 PM, yknot said:

We and other groups were allowed to meet but not recruit. One of the issues at least where we are is that the number of organizations that are seeking to use the school community as a marketing channel for their offerings has increased exponentially over the past 5, 10, 15 years. Schools cannot handle the onslaught and many districts feel the volume of messages can compete with their own important school related news and events directed at families. Many manage it by saying no  to everyone that isn't school based. School based clubs and sports, yes. Outside organizations like scouts, no. 

So the question you need to ask is, who are the coaches and club sponsors; are they school district staff or outside entities? If any of the coaches and club sponsors are outside entities the school has to give you the same recruiting access as those sports and clubs. 

On 7/17/2023 at 6:44 AM, MacBrave said:

The Crossroads of America Council in central Indiana appears to have finalized on a new fee structure.  From a PDF council volunteers received last week:

image.thumb.png.4e83a09eb018293353eeecf7b061c6e1.png

A couple of things to note.  When this plan was first introduced back in February the yearly amount was not $160 but $240,   with the preferred payment mechanism being $20 a month automatically charged to a families credit or debit card.   There was such an outroar over this the council leadership retreated for several months and have returned with this.    Yay.  I still hold to my personal opinion that this will decimate membership in the outlying rural counties of the council, which is where I currently serve as a volunteer.

There was even scuttlebutt about this on reddit a while back. Bringing that council fee down to match national was a good move. Why did it change from Council Insurance Fee to Local Council Fee ? Being vague always invites question and suspicion. Breaking it down 12 council insurance fee, 68 council operations fee would make this much more palatable. 

I grew up in the CAC. I don't think my family could afford scouting at today's prices. 

I saw a posting where CAC is sponsoring an air show as a fundraiser in October. The parking fee is $150. And you can't walk in, you must drive (and pay the parking fee). I wish them luck, but I think attendance will be poor.

1 hour ago, prof said:

I grew up in the CAC. I don't think my family could afford scouting at today's prices. 

I saw a posting where CAC is sponsoring an air show as a fundraiser in October. The parking fee is $150. And you can't walk in, you must drive (and pay the parking fee). I wish them luck, but I think attendance will be poor.

Bring a school bus with all your friends?

But yes, it's unfortunate that the BSA is going through this denial phase that things have changed and they'll have to change with it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, prof said:

I’ve shared this before. I asked my grandfather, who was born in 1917, if he was a Scout when he was little. He said “no, Scouts was for rich kids.” 😞

5 hours ago, Tron said:

So the question you need to ask is, who are the coaches and club sponsors; are they school district staff or outside entities? If any of the coaches and club sponsors are outside entities the school has to give you the same recruiting access as those sports and clubs. 

School based means school based, so they are not outside entities. Frankly, I understand it. A lot of schools are being overwhelmed by a fire hose of requests for access to students and facilities. 

• Upvote 1
On 7/18/2023 at 2:14 PM, prof said:

Yes, the air show is one of the yearly "free special events" that this adventure fee is supposed to provide to units.  For this event units will camp at Camp Belzer then bussed to the Air Show site, about 8 miles away.  Meals are provided.  Units are also expected to volunteer for some kind of service at the air show, although I yet to see exactly what this service entails.

Thanks for the info @MacBrave

I didn't realize the scouts could go as part of camping at Belzer. 

I only saw the Facebook ad where they were trying to get the general public to go (at those high prices)

Most who responded on Facebook indicated they would go to the Dayton Air show, which was a lot cheaper.

I wish the CAC well with this activity.