2023-2024 fees? Any rumors?

While this thread is worth reviewing, I have to say I continue to somehow be put off by the question about any "rumors".  Am not sure that we want to encourage that, as too often it becomes a problem.  Old guy being picky (?).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll reserve judgment until I read their plan for implementation. There is a chance (albeit a very slight one, IMHO) that national may have an elegant solution. I know, I know... I'm laughin

This is going to be a CF on a large scale.  It briefs well, but the reality is different.  We're now going to have to spend time randomly to get parents to pay for their Scout to recharter rather than

I may get another naughty notice but......this is just another example of how the Boy Scouts of America is a rusty machine that is grinding itself to pieces.  This whole BSA thing is being administere

Posted Images

20 hours ago, skeptic said:

Am not sure that we want to encourage that, as too often it becomes a problem.  Old guy being picky (?).

Sadly almost 100% of the "rumors" I read here and elsewhere turn out to be spot on correct.

What I find funny is when I cite documentation from national, or more specifically the court case documents, I get angry looks, and am told I am a rumor monger.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

$140 per youth / $100 per adult in our council this year.  Not a rumor.

Also moving to an annual renewal vs. everyone renewing at one time.  I presume to avoid the "crush" that comes from every unit in council submitting paperwork at one time.

Also, I have come to 100% rely on the roster at my.scouting.org - I think this will be the norm.  Just as you use it to manage training expiration (which have all been different for a long time) you will now use it to manage membership expiration.

Edited by curious_scouter
25 minutes ago, curious_scouter said:

I assume that is total?

I also assume the $140 is for returning youth and not new? New would be $165?

This came to National Capital Area Council  a bit ago, but I've been away at camp and rushing a guy to Eagle before that, so sorry for the delay:

June 30, 2023

Your National Capital Area Council (NCAC) fulfills BSA’s mission, “To prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law.” 

NCAC works tirelessly to deliver a safe and high-quality Scouting program to our families in a cost-effective manner. Today it annually costs $240.00 per youth to deliver this quality Scouting program.

In prior years, NCAC has subsidized 100% of this cost through corporate donations, major gifts, foundations, fundraising events, board donations, and our Family Friends of Scouting campaign. However, in recent years, the combination of a steady decline in participation in our Family Friends of Scouting and the volunteer and professional costs required to maintain this campaign has made it impractical to continue this model.

After an intensive 18-month strategic planning process, NCAC’s volunteer Executive Board determined that our Scouts would be better served by a local Council Participation Fee that would provide consistent revenue and be more equitable to those who support our Scouts. Nationwide, we have seen many other local councils successfully transition to a similar fee, while achieving membership growth.

Beginning January 1, 2024, an annual Council Participation Fee of $80.00 will be assessed to all youth participating in Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing, and Sea Scouts programs.

• For Scouts currently registered, the Council Participation Fee will be collected as part of your unit’s next annual re-registration, often referred to as “rechartering.” 
  • Families with three (3) or more Scouts will be capped at paying three (3) Participation Fees.
  • Scouts participating in more than one program will pay one (1) Participation Fee.
  • No youth will be turned away for an inability to pay the Participation Fee. NCAC has always provided financial assistance when needed and will continue to do so.

Additional information about the Participation Fee, including a guide, one-page overview, and FAQ, is available on the NCAC website at: NCACBSA.ORG/PARTICIPATION-FEE.

Please click to view this short video message by Participation Fee Committee Chair, JP Morgan.

bec23e9c1c2e4a02513c9d2c811ed73f.png

The Scouting movement continues to grow across the National Capital Area Council and we are thankful for your ongoing support.

Yours in Scouting,

Council President Morgan H. Sullivan

Council Commissioner Julia Mae-Shen Lesko

Scout Executive/CEO Mario A. Pèrez

We seen to be on the low end of the spectrum as far as our council program fee goes; and on the high end as far as what benefits we see as a result of that program fee:

During our Fall Membership Recruitment season, the newly recruited Scouts will pay (which includes the National Council’s one-time youth joining fee of $25.00) $165 for a 12-month membership cycle.  Thus establishing their membership anniversary month.       

Later in the Fall, Scouts and Scouters currently registered in the Central Florida Council will recharter for the 2024 calendar year in the amount of $140* for youth and $100* for adult leaders…please note the adult fee provides enhanced background checks and general liability insurance.   

*Members are excited this registration fee includes the Central Florida Council Program Fee which covers the event fee for Scouts and Scouters to attend:

• District Cub Scout Shooting Sports and or Adventure Days 

• District Cub Scout Family Campouts

• District Webelos Woods

• District Scouts BSA Fall Camporees

• District Scouts BSA Spring Camporees

• Annual District Banquets

• Certain District Adult Leader Trainings

• Central Florida Council University of Scouting

The Central Florida Council Program fee also provides a subsidy for each registration for NYLT and Wood Badge courses. 

Some councils are really going big with their fees which I think is the bigger problem; especially the councils that have found a way around the council cap at nationals level. Overall the program is rather cheap compared to other programs for youth; however, if council fees get too high I think they will kill FOS. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Tron said:

Some councils are really going big with their fees which I think is the bigger problem;

Agreed. In our troop, and with existing cubs, this is not a big problem. They likely have fundraising to help and understand the value equation. 

The hard part, that is very clear on the front lines of cub recruiting, are families who aren’t sure of the value. The big upfront dues and fees, before unit dues, is pretty killer to recruiting. 

• Upvote 1

Cub Scout fees should be lower.  I don't see how you recruit many new scouts when those parents are looking at:

$140 Council Fee

$80 National Registration

$25 New Scout Fee

$15 Scouts Life

$xx Pack Fee

$75 Uniform/Book

Total $335+ to join an organization to build a pinewood derby car, run around a room a few times a month and visit a local police station.

• Upvote 4
26 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

Cub Scout fees should be lower.  I don't see how you recruit many new scouts when those parents are looking at:

$140 Council Fee

$80 National Registration

$25 New Scout Fee

$15 Scouts Life

$xx Pack Fee

$75 Uniform/Book

Total $335+ to join an organization to build a pinewood derby car, run around a room a few times a month and visit a local police station.

And the most valuable resource you are asking any adult for is their time!

Cub Scouts is family oriented, and requires a good deal of time from each family to make the program successful.

They'd rather put their kids in an organized program that doesn't then require them to run it.

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

I'll add... You kill Cub Scouts recruiting you kill the entire organization in a few years. 

THAT IS THE BIGGEST UNDERSTATEMENT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( Yes i am shouting so I can get the attention of any pros here.)

My council has been unable to recruit in the public schools for 9 years now. My county went from 8 packs to 2 packs. <u old pack went from 60+ to less than 20.

As for troops, we had 8 troops with the average of 28 Scouts. We are down to 5 troops with an average of 9 scouts per troop.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
On 7/6/2023 at 7:43 AM, curious_scouter said:

$110/$90 for our council here in Seattle. Our pack actually charges a bit less than this per Cub, and none per leader AFAIK, making up the difference through fundraising.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

THAT IS THE BIGGEST UNDERSTATEMENT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( Yes i am shouting so I can get the attention of any pros here.)

My council has been unable to recruit in the public schools for 9 years now. My county went from 8 packs to 2 packs. <u old pack went from 60+ to less than 20.

As for troops, we had 8 troops with the average of 28 Scouts. We are down to 5 troops with an average of 9 scouts per troop.

Are other groups (including rec leagues) allowed to recruit in the schools at all?

• Upvote 1