Eagle Scout isn’t Everything

From the link

“The goal of Scouting is to guide each Scout to reach First Class rank, which provides the Scout the basic first-aid skills, outdoor skills, and water safety in swimming skills and canoeing. This, plus memorizing the words of the Scout Oath and Scout Law with the gradual understanding that these are not just words to memorize but words to live by for life.”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
2 hours ago, MattR said:

I did receive some email about how eagle isn't the only purpose of scouts. Maybe there's a bit of change?

From my perspective, that realization should bee part of the mentoring.  Far too many units have put Eagle as the ultimate success, and often pushed other out that were more in it for the adventure or fellowship.  So, when they did not advance fast enough, or at all, they became ignored for the most part.  Yet, I have been priileged to have a number of youth stay to and past graduation, never going beyond First Class.  But they were great scouts and leaders, and they encourage younger scouts to work on advancement, even as they chose not to.  A couple had physical issues that they chose to either overcome or not do some things, and at least one just could not deal with swimming, but refused to use it as an excuse.  He, ironically, became a carreer army officer, but he is also the one that di the mile swim using the elementary backstroke, since that was the only one he could do well.  Character development and learning to roll with difficulty.  Thats the ticket.

If Eagle is included, great.