Which square knots to wear and why

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no formal order of precedence of square knot awards, but mine are starting to accrue in an unattractive way.  It got me thinking about how to sort and rank them for the purpose of shaving the

Boy, I feel as if I have covered this topic SO MANY TIMES over the past few years ... but suffice it to say, I think that to ask "what's the harm?" is to ask the wrong question. The better question is

The timber hitch should be the "learning the tautline hitch"

The square knot, which symbolizes the unity and brotherhood of the movement throughout the world. Even as one cannot undo a reef knot no matter how hard one pulls on it, so, as it expands, the movement remains united.

The District/Division Award of Merit is unique is that it is a national award which honors Scouters for their service to youth at the District or Division level over a period of time.

The District Award of Merit (DAM) knot is the only one not a square knot.  I never knew there was an orientation of it. I need to check my uniform.

The symbology of the award is also unique. The silver border and overhand knot (which by the way, should be worn with the ends DOWNWARD) is symbolic of the District and local Council service to youth. The dark blue background represents the dark blue of the local Council’s flag and refers to the fact that it is awarded at the local Council — District — level. The overhand knot. Those who are familiar with how a square knot is “made” — right over left, then left over right — understands that the overhand knot is “half” or a “part” of the complete square knot emblem. In a likewised manner, a District or Division is “half” or “a part of” the local Council; and that Scouters who receive this award still have “work to do” to “complete the process” (or in other words, receive down the road the Silver Beaver/Fawn (when we had it as a BSA local Council award) ) for their continued service to youth through Scouting.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, The Latin Scot said:

I have ALWAYS wondered this! Why not use different knots to represent different types of awards? Square knots for youth achievements, bowlines for heroism awards, two half-hitches for training awards, et cetera. It would add both variety and specificity to the insignia which merely using colors doesn't convey as effectively. A well-spent $0.01!

We often tell the new Scout that the square knot symbolizes joining and call it the "joining knot", later the Second Class Scout learns the sheet bend is the "joining knot".

I like @The Latin Scot knot symbolizations - the bowline as the "rescue knot", maybe tautline hitch for camp repair service, timber hitch for trail service,....

...symbolism follows function...and all of a sudden the Knots become fun again.  :D

Another $0.01,

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...
3 hours ago, le Voyageur said:

I’ve elected to keep it simple by not wearing any,.....staying incognito and blingless keeps one from getting volunteered....

yeah yeah   let us know how that works out for ya.