Scout left camp without permission

Happy Friday All

Our Council is in the middle of our Summer JLTC course. I got a call last night about 10:30 from my JLTC Course Director checking to see if I saw anyone leave camp when I was visiting earlier in the evening. One of our 35 participants drove to camp. While this is unusual, we didn't really think much of it until he just up and left during the freetime swim. The course director called me back a few minutes later to explain that the parents knew their son was leaving camp for the evening to go to a party. Would have been nice if somebody told us the plans. The dad promised he would be back by 5:00 AM this morning. Wisely my course director told him to let the scout sleep in so he would not danger himself making the two-hour drive back.

We are already talking about new policies for future youth drivers. Between this and a few other things going on, this has been one weird week.

Hey, have a great weekend and if anyone wants to listen to a great talk about JLT, I know of a really good one tomorrow morning at Camp George Thomas.

Ahhh, I love this Scouting stuff.

Barry

I've had dads do it, but never heard of a scout doing it. Sounds like some policy revisions... (1) must have permission to leave camp (parental and camp director), (2) must sign-out and sign-in at camp office.

Left during a free time swim? What about his buddy? Isn't there buddy checks at the waterfront/pool? Sound like a serious violation to me and should be dealt with! No one - adults included - should be allowed to "just up and leave" camp without informing anyone!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

How do you think we learned it happened? He told his buddy he was leaving. Yes there were adults around watching the pool area. The scouts had to set that up from the safe swim training we gave them. I don't know how he got out of the pool area, but the parking lot is only 50 feet away.

Barry

Our council camps send us permission forms specifically for this purpose with a statement to the effect that no one may leave camp property without signed permission and without signing out. They may need to be accompanied by an adult as well--I'd have to check that. Since I work mostly with Cubs, we only have to worry about those families who leave just prior to cleanup. The Scouts have the same policy though from all that I have read in paperwork sent home.

I will look at that. We are so used to camp staffs driving to camp that this G2SS didn't cross our mind. Not sure a council event wouldn't be considered reginal. Hmmm

I think EagleInKy and Laurie have good suggestions but I willmake sure Council doesn't already have the forms. Like I said, he kind of caught us off guard with this although we get a lot of 17 year olds.

Barry

Council events are run by Councils. Regional events are run by Regions. Big difference.

This is one of the silly and unclear BSA rules. Under a strict reading of the rule, a Scout cannot drive to a troop meeting.

FOG,

I just looked at the G2SS section you are talking about. Unfortunately I have a lot of experience in looking at other peoples' writing and realizing that while they thought everybody would know what they meant by using a particular word, the fact is that most people aren't mind-readers and give words their normal meaning. The word in question here is "driver." I'd be willing to bet that the person who wrote the sentence in question used the word "driver" to mean "a person who drives a vehicle with other Scouts in it." Whereas, you and I see the word "driver" and figure it means "a person who drives a vehicle." I guess the other way to put it is, the G2SS is talking about "driving" as a BSA activity which it really only becomes if the driver is transporting other Scouts. Otherwise the person is just showing up, whether at camp or a troop meeting or whatever, and assuming he has a license and his parents' permission if its their care, it's nobody else's business how he got there.

But you are correct that if read literally, that's not what it says.

Barry, I double-checked our council's camping policies. JLTC is held at one of the council camps, so this is a campground policy, not necessarily designed for any one particular activity. FYI, since you're looking into this, here is what this council states:

Council camping policy:

B. Intermediate Exit and Return - Should your unit (or any individual) need to leave camp either temporarily or permanently, you must notify the Camp Ranger (or Campmaster) if available, or record your exit (and return) in the camp log book.

I also looked up the driving portion of the G2SS because I thought Scouts could drive to events. The on-line page addressing this is here: http://www.scouting.org/pubs/gss/gss12.html .

4. The driver must be currently licensed and at least 18 years of age. Youth member exception: When traveling to and from an area, regional, or national Boy Scout activity or any Venturing event under the leadership of an adult (at least 21 years of age) tour leader, a youth member at least 16 years of age may be a driver, subject to

the following conditions:

a. Six months' driving experience as a licensed driver (time on a learner's permit or equivalent is not to be counted)

b. No record of accidents or moving violations

c. Parental permission granted to the leader, driver, and riders

As for bikes, I was fortunate enough to have Health and Safety Training offered about a month ago, and this was our small group challenge: biking. There's plenty in the G2SS on bikes, just not under the heading transportation or camping.

Since there are 13 detailed policies in bold print, I'll just provide the link: http://www.scouting.org/pubs/gss/gss09.html .

scoutldr, IMO the difference in how one gets to a meeting and how one gets to a camp depends upon whether it's a unit activity or not. The G2SS begins with:

The purpose of the Guide to Safe Scouting is to prepare adult leaders to conduct Scouting activities in a safe and prudent manner. The policies and guidelines have been established because of the real need to protect members from known hazards that have been identified through eighty-plus years of experience.

Some kids walk to meetings, others come with friends, others drive themselves--but the bottom line in this is that until they reach the meeting place, they are not part of a unit activity.

If I'm off in my understanding, I trust I'll be corrected :)