Troop adding/changing requirements for Eagle project

Yes, there are all kinds of adults in volunteer positions. For that particular post, I was referring to adults who jump into a volunteer position purely for the stature of the title. It makes them feel good about themselves. You can find them in all positions in volunteer organizations. We talk about them a lot here on the forum in the CM, SM and CC positions because the level of responsibility is so high and important. But there are plenty of volunteers like this under the ASM and committee member titles.

They likely don't have the skills for the responsibility, but don't really care because what they wanted was the title. They will try to perform to the best of their ability, but their skills fall well short. If left alone, they often do  more harm than good.

These are the volunteers that district committees seem to attract, I don't know why. I found they can do a lot of good when they are given step-by-step instructions. I was close to a situation where a district committee chairman was awarded the the Silver Beaver for bringing a complicated district program online. We all knew she was just a puppet for someone who'd rather stay in the shadows of recognition, but she did work very hard none-the-less. The Silver Beaver is the highlight of her life. 

Barry

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting comment. It is an Eagle Board of Review, not an Eagle Board of Inquisition.  The EBOR should be an opportunity to have an Eagle Scout to talk about himself, talk about how Scouting ha

UPDATE:   The story has a happy ending.  With the help and wisdom from people that read about the predicament faced by my sons, wheels became unstuck and the channels were cleared for them to proceed.

Thanks for the reply. Over the past couple of years, there have been multiple instances of this SM using the phrase "our troop requires it" and I've always let it slide although I shouldn't have. I've

Carbenez:  "The sad thing is....the guy is not intentionally malicious or obstructive"

Please help us all understand how this guy is not being an obstructionist given your multiple postings detailing your sons proposal.

There are procedures for handling this and you have to decide to either inform him that you are going to use them or live with his antics 

Best of luck to your sons.

3 hours ago, PACAN said:

Carbenez:  "The sad thing is....the guy is not intentionally malicious or obstructive"

Please help us all understand how this guy is not being an obstructionist given your multiple postings detailing your sons proposal.

There are procedures for handling this and you have to decide to either inform him that you are going to use them or live with his antics 

Best of luck to your sons.

Poorly worded on my part....it should have read "in HIS MIND, he is not being malicious or obstructive." Thank you for your thoughts!!

• 2 weeks later...

I serve on Eagle BORs for our district. They are 45 minutes max and we tend to focus on 3 areas - the project, leadership and the Scout's relationship to Scouting as well as plans for the future. We also do a uniform inspection and  the Scout leads everyone present in the Oath and Law at the beginning.  

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:   The story has a happy ending.  With the help and wisdom from people that read about the predicament faced by my sons, wheels became unstuck and the channels were cleared for them to proceed. My oldest son completed his Eagle Board of Review and his application for Eagle Scout is now at National.  My youngest got his proposal approved, and his project was completed this weekend. 

Massive thanks to any and all who took the time to read and reply.  My guys are invigorated, and once again engaged in Scouting!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1