5 hours ago, cocomax said:

Wood Badge
Day Four: Generations in Scouting
(Troop Presentation)
Time Allowed
60 minutes
Learning Objectives
As a result of this activity, participants will be able to
■ Understand generational differences as another aspect of diversity.
■ Consider how these differences impact each group.
Understand the “adult led, youth run” aspects of a unit.
Learn ways to work together across generations for a better future.
Materials Needed
■ Adhesive notes labeled with generationally diverse character names
■ Small group activity worksheets/situations
■ Handout with characteristics of each generation
■ Flip chart pad and markers

I’m curious to learn how “adult led and youth led” tie in with “working together across generations“?

Barry

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks to @RememberSchiff @Sentinel947 @Eagle94-A1 @desertrat77 @willray and @DuctTapefor the warm welcome back. 😎 This summer I do hope to participate in a few threads like this, but with the go

If the premier training of the BSA, the mountain top experience for adults, uses the term "ADULT LED, YOUTH RUN" in it A) whoever  came up with the WB21C course was never a Scout as a youth and has no

I think I can somewhat answer this. Folks who aren't fans of NYLT/Wood Badge feel free to chime in. Full disclosure: I've been to Wood Badge and NYLT. I've staffed NYLT, and I've just signed my life a

2 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

I’m curious to learn how “adult led and youth led” tie in with “working together across generations“?

Barry

Commonly confused. It says "adult led and youth run" . Many people use "youth led" and "Youth run" interchangeably, but there is a specific meaning in this context. It means that the adults give needed leadership, mentor the youth, and take responsibility for ensuring things are safe, meet objectives and follow laws and policies. While the youth execute the program. 

I'm sure we could have a whole OTHER thread where people strongly disagree on the topic of what "youth led/run" means and how much involvement adults should have. 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Chris1 said:

Commonly confused. It says "adult led and youth run" . Many people use "youth led" and "Youth run" interchangeably, but there is a specific meaning in this context. It means that the adults give needed leadership, mentor the youth, and take responsibility for ensuring things are safe, meet objectives and follow laws and policies. While the youth execute the program. 

I'm sure we could have a whole OTHER thread where people strongly disagree on the topic of what "youth led/run" means and how much involvement adults should have. 

We run a scout led, adult mentored troop. 

43 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

This was one of my favorite sessions from Wood Badge.  The biggest thing I walked away from the session was understanding better that different generations communicate & see the world differently.  Scouting is the unique mix of generations and I remember these lessons a lot.  Very helpful.

A bit off topic, but this was on its way to being one of my favorite sessions at Woodbadge, but it instead became a symbol of what I came to really dislike about Wb.  Just as we were in the midst of a great discussion it was cut short because we had run behind on time and needed to move on to the next activity.  What was so urgent that we had to cut the discussion short --- a make-believe PLC where the main topic of discussion was what percentage of uniform inspection we should adopt that day to constitute a passing score.

4 minutes ago, T2Eagle said:

A bit off topic, but this was on its way to being one of my favorite sessions at Woodbadge, but it instead became a symbol of what I came to really dislike about Wb.  Just as we were in the midst of a great discussion it was cut short because we had run behind on time and needed to move on to the next activity.  What was so urgent that we had to cut the discussion short --- a make-believe PLC where the main topic of discussion was what percentage of uniform inspection we should adopt that day to constitute a passing score.

The BSA best training I ever had as just sitting around with old timer scout masters and newly minted scout masters at summer camp talking for hours about the game of scouting, and life in general.  We talked about the fun times and bad times, what worked and what didn't.   Oh, the stories!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
15 minutes ago, Chris1 said:

I would enjoy that discussion, infact I was the presenter of the boy run session at WB 15 years ago. My question is really more how this WB course uses “adult led and youth led” and “working together across generations“ in the same discussion.

Barry

43 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

I would enjoy that discussion, infact I was the presenter of the boy run session at WB 15 years ago. My question is really more how this WB course uses “adult led and youth led” and “working together across generations“ in the same discussion.

Barry

It the intersection between the concept of "adult led, youth run" and "how do adults and youth of different generations work together".

For example - often adults have the overall responsibility for something such as an event.  The Scouts will be running the event and probably making the bulk of the decisions.  Yet, there will most certainly be times when the adults responsible for the event need to figure out how to work with the youth running the event.  It's an exploration of how to do that effectively.

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, ParkMan said:

It the intersection between the concept of "adult led, youth run" and "how do adults and youth of different generations work together".

For example - often adults have the overall responsibility for something such as an event.  The Scouts will be running the event and probably making the bulk of the decisions.  Yet, there will most certainly be times when the adults responsible for the event need to figure out how to work with the youth running the event.  It's an exploration of how to do that effectively.

Effectively in terms of executing event or teaching scouts?  Exploration in terms of seeking a balance between the two?

Edited by RememberSchiff
9 hours ago, cocomax said:

The BSA best training I ever had as just sitting around with old timer scout masters and newly minted scout masters at summer camp talking for hours about the game of scouting, and life in general.  We talked about the fun times and bad times, what worked and what didn't.   Oh, the stories!

I can believe that.

If the premier training of the BSA, the mountain top experience for adults, uses the term "ADULT LED, YOUTH RUN" in it A) whoever  came up with the WB21C course was never a Scout as a youth and has no idea about the program DESPITE their credentials and B) It explains a lot of the problems I am seeing with units, even ones with WBers.

Why can't people today understand the simple concept of "Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!" ? Why does our society want to treat teenagers and young adults under 26 like children?

• Upvote 4
50 minutes ago, HelpfulTracks said:

“Adult led, youth run” is absolutely consistent with “Train ‘em, Trust ‘em, Let Lead” 

Please tell me you are joking?

If you are not, please get SM Specific training ASAP!  

And if BSA training is encouraging this, and from reading the WB syllabus it is, then the BSA is truly dying. The Patrol Method will soon be in name only as patrols will no longer be allowed to do day activities on their own. And as Old School Scouters leave or die off. We will have a generation of Scouters who have no idea what Scouts are capable of, and should be doing. Scouts, BSA will truly be a Webelos 3, or AOL2, program with adults making all the decision, and the Scouts doing nothing. 

This is something I have been fighting with my troop for a few years nows: adults making all the decisions. The Scouts I've talked to are tired of it. The next camp out was arranged at the last minute, and it was done by the adults. It is something almost all of them have done, they are tired of the campsite, and won't be going as a result.

17 minutes ago, DuctTape said:

How? if the adults are leading then by definition the youth are following.

https://scoutmastercg.com/where-is-it-written-that-troops-are-boy-led/

Good link. I hope someone at National is reading his stuff. It appears as if the Patrol Method will truly die on October 1st, 2018 in the US.

38 minutes ago, DuctTape said:

How? if the adults are leading then by definition the youth are following.

https://scoutmastercg.com/where-is-it-written-that-troops-are-boy-led/

Someone one explained it to me that Scouting is different than many other places.  In Scouting, our goal is not to get tasks done.  In Scouting, our goal is to develop youth.  As a result, the way we approach leadership is different here. 

The Scoutmaster wants the Scouts to take of as much responsibility for running the troop as possible.  So, while the Scoutmaster is a leader to the boys, he practices that leadership through coaching and mentoring as much as possible.  He recognizes that the Scouts learn the most by doing things for themselves, so he challenges to run the troop.  But, he also recognizes that we all benefit from coaching and mentoring, so he walks a line and judiciously advises the Scouts in an effort to challenge them to push through their perceived boundaries.

NOTE: Moderators - I think this whole aspect would be a great spinoff topic.