Jump to content
gblotter

Scouting Magazine - betting the farm on girls

Recommended Posts

Just now, FireStone said:

What data says that either opinion was the minority opinion? 

Yes - we would all like to see the data. But even if released, the survey was crafted to be so manipulative, designed to elicit only one response - any data from a survey like that would be pointless, in all reality. Can you at least give me room for rage over such an insulting process?

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HelpfulTracks said:

My experience is like that of FireStone's, most people I see are supporting it.

What you see depends on where you sit. I see exactly the opposite from my vantage point. I know of many Scouting families adopting a "get done and get out" strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gblotter said:

Yes - we would all like to see the data. But even if released, the survey was crafted to be so manipulative, designed to elicit only one response - any data from a survey like that would be pointless, in all reality. Can you at least give me room for rage over such an insulting process?

can you handle it when not everyone joins in your rage?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gblotter said:

Yes - we would all like to see the data. But even if released, the survey was crafted to be so manipulative, designed to elicit only one response - any data from a survey like that would be pointless, in all reality. Can you at least give me room for rage over such an insulting process?

Certainly. I'm not happy with the survey and how it was conducted either. 

But a bad survey doesn't mean there's no support for girls in Scouting. The idea that it's "all lies" is simply not true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HelpfulTracks said:

Calling it a minority does not make it so.

Claiming popular support does not make it so.

Five years should be enough time for the dust to setting on the LDS exit and judge whether Surbaugh was the savior or the executioner of BSA. I am not optimistic. BSA's current membership is not robust enough to survive another disaster like the Improved Scouting Program of the 1970s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FireStone said:

The idea that it's "all lies" is simply not true. 

I never said "all lies". Surbaugh is lying when he claims popular support drove the girl decision while conveniently ignoring huge resistance.

6 minutes ago, malraux said:

can you handle it when not everyone joins in your rage?

Sure. What's your point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, malraux said:

there are times when I feel like the point of this forum is for people to complain.

Bingo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gblotter said:

I never said "all lies". Surbaugh is lying when he claims popular support drove the girl decision while conveniently ignoring huge resistance.

Again, where's the data to support that? You're calling someone a liar based on what? Your gut feeling that the numbers aren't there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FireStone said:

You're calling someone a liar based on what?

Surbaugh lies by claiming popular support while completely ignoring huge resistance. It's no more complicated than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ianwilkins said:

Bingo!

Its weird when the reddit community is the reasonable and uplifting one...

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gblotter said:

Surbaugh lies by claiming popular support while completely ignoring huge resistance. It's no more complicated than that.

That's just not true. It's a popular opinion that girls should be in Scouting. How popular? I don't know. But it's not some small fringe group.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FireStone said:

That's just not true. It's a popular opinion that girls should be in Scouting. How popular? I don't know. But it's not some small fringe group.

Its also likely fairly regional in the different opinions, so hard for anyone to estimate its exact popularity.

I'm also appreciative of the idea that sometimes organizations have to change even its not what a majority of its current members want.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FireStone said:

That's just not true. It's a popular opinion that girls should be in Scouting. How popular? I don't know. But it's not some small fringe group.

If Surbaugh wanted to be honest (not lie), he could at least acknowledge that this was a divisive decision driven by declining membership rather than hiding behind an insulting and manipulative survey. Wouldn't some honest discussion coming from the top be refreshing for a change?

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, malraux said:

Its also likely fairly regional in the different opinions, so hard for anyone to estimate its exact popularity.

Yep. Like I said, what you see depends on where you sit.

1 minute ago, malraux said:

I'm also appreciative of the idea that sometimes organizations have to change even its not what a majority of its current members want.

I have no problem with that concept. Can't Surbaugh then at least be honest about the reality of BSA's situation driving this decision? That would be a position I could respect. I cannot respect the insulting manipulations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gblotter said:

Surbaugh lies by claiming popular support while completely ignoring huge resistance. It's no more complicated than that.

Popular support does not mean unanimous or even majority, but that said, even on this board it is the same few that are opposed.

Just curious, if my experience tells me that there is popular support for this program, am I justified in calling you a liar because your experience is different? Am I justified if the my district and council's internal data shows popular support, am I justified in calling you a liar if yours doesn't?

I disagree with National on a many issues, and at times I think they could screw just about anything up, but as a Scouter, I am beyond frustrated with Scouters calling people liars based off supposition, personal bias and no evidence.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×