2 hours ago, Urbanredneck said:

Well thats quite an interesting process mentioned. It says over they get 400 ideas a year and take years to make changes. I dont think they have added a new "craft" item in a while.

If any of you are curious, my idea for a new merit badge was : Paracord

You see I figure the scouts already do something similar, leathercraft, pottery, and basketry. All of which take a basic product like leather, clay, and grass, and use it for different things. Paracord is a very useful product not just in making bracelets but also helpful objects like tent fobs, tent lines, using paracord for repairs, using paracord as fire starter, use as emergency fishing line, axe handle wrap, makes a good shoelace for your boots and such. Here is a website with ideas.

All I know is that it would be the most popular craft badge.

I'm still waiting on Skateboarding Merit Badge. I've been tempted to submit a proposal but surely they've already gotten plenty of requests for this one by now.

It's always been interesting to me that it's a key marketing feature of any Summit promotions, and yet there's no badge for it. Maybe now with it becoming an Olympic sport, the BSA will finally make it available as a merit badge. 

51 minutes ago, FireStone said:

I'm still waiting on Skateboarding Merit Badge

If anything, that would (or should) be incorporated with the existing Skating Merit Badge. Just add a 4th option to the existing list of three (ice, roller, in-line).

• Upvote 1

Well look at leatherwork. Come down to it, thats one of the old holdout merit badges. Yes its cool but most of us dont use leather much anymore.

Paracord though, as said above, is so versatile. It touches on art, knot tying, weaving, and survival.I'm thinking some of the requirements could be:

1. making a survival bracelet including 10 feet of paracord, a compass, whistle, and firestriker using a solomon or other weave.

2. making a 10 foot fishing line from the inner strands,.

3. making a tent stake fob.

4. wrapping a hatchet, axe, knife, or ax handle in paracord.

1 hour ago, Urbanredneck said:

Well look at leatherwork. Come down to it, thats one of the old holdout merit badges. Yes its cool but most of us dont use leather much anymore.

Paracord though, as said above, is so versatile. It touches on art, knot tying, weaving, and survival.I'm thinking some of the requirements could be:

1. making a survival bracelet including 10 feet of paracord, a compass, whistle, and firestriker using a solomon or other weave.

2. making a 10 foot fishing line from the inner strands,.

3. making a tent stake fob.

4. wrapping a hatchet, axe, knife, or ax handle in paracord.

We used the same kit in leather working that I used as a kid! :laugh:

I still do some leathercraft. Not so much the art, but more functional. Just this year I have made sheaths for knives and masks for axes. I would agree that many probably dont use leather in everyday life, but that is true for most mbs. Most people don't canoe in everyday life or play the bugle, or...

Interestingly, I dont ever use paracord as other cordage is much better suited for practical applications. The craft use of paracord for survival bracelets may be fun and a current trend, but in general those arent used in everyday life, or even in any outdoors activities. IMO they are just a current fad.

$100 on the spot would go the the scout who could fashion me a wide brim (3.5") leather hat ... or patch the gaping hole in my old one.

I can't even find my make and model in any western store or online.