RememberSchiff

Buzzfeed - CSE Surbaugh - Girls - Scouter.com

25 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

We give out the rank badges at the end of the meetings when the scouts complete the BOR.  Scout does BOR and bam...he is recognized and goes home with the new rank patch.  Neat thing is seeing them with the new rank on their uniform at the next meeting.  At the COH they are awarded the card and small pin.

I love this idea and will suggest it to our troop committee. I guess it necessitates having a surplus of rank patches that can be drawn upon before advancement paperwork is actually submitted to the council, but that should be doable. How do you manage the quick award of merit badges? Having a surplus of merit badges is not so easy.

3 minutes ago, gblotter said:

I love this idea and will suggest it to our troop committee. I guess it necessitates having a surplus of rank patches that can be drawn upon before advancement paperwork is actually submitted to the council, but that should be doable. How do you manage the quick award of merit badges? Having a surplus of merit badges is not so easy.

No merit badges, only rank patches.    Merit badges would be a nightmare.  As the Scouts go through BOR we get the patches so SM can award at end of meeting.  We try to carry some of the rank patches on outings so if they complete a rank when camping we can do the recognition

1 minute ago, Jameson76 said:

We try to carry some of the rank patches on outings so if they complete a rank when camping we can do the recognition

Do you conduct a BOR on the fly during a campout? Our advancement chair is bit more structured than that.

9 minutes ago, gblotter said:

Do you conduct a BOR on the fly during a campout? Our advancement chair is bit more structured than that.

Absolutely.  If a Scout wants to advance and we have two or more committee members on the outing, we have the BOR.   The scout does need to have their handbook which should have the dates.   These are conditional as we need to verify dates, etc. for merit badges, time, to make sure the book agrees with troop records.   Many times the Scout has completed or completes on the outing all requirements for a rank, they come over to the leader area and request the SM conference, then we do the BOR.

Usually at the campfire on the outing we award the rank or at the closing as we depart.

Much higher percentage of lost badges out in the woods......

3 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

Absolutely.  If a Scout wants to advance and we have two or more committee members on the outing, we have the BOR.   The scout does need to have their handbook which should have the dates.   These are conditional as we need to verify dates, etc. for merit badges, time, to make sure the book agrees with troop records.   Many times the Scout has completed or completes on the outing all requirements for a rank, they come over to the leader area and request the SM conference, then we do the BOR.

Usually at the campfire on the outing we award the rank or at the closing as we depart.

Much higher percentage of lost badges out in the woods......

Did you mean three to 6 committee members?

9 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Did you mean three to 6 committee members?

Sure

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gwaihir said:

Boys have enough major challenges their facing down statistically (lower college graduation rates, higher HS drop out rates, higher suicide, higher and younger drug abuse, etc) in this country at the moment.

Why I wish BSA did not go coed. One FB there is discussion on this topic, and now the word is single gender dens within coed troops. That's from a well known volunteer, but he's been right on the money in the past.

7 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

...and now the word is single gender dens within coed troops. 

Do you mean single gender dens within coed packs, or single gender patrols within coed troops?  Or both?

16 minutes ago, NJCubScouter said:

Do you mean single gender dens within coed packs, or single gender patrols within coed troops?  Or both?

I think he meant Single gender patrols in coed Troops, which is what I was hearing rumblings of prior to the Buzz-Feed article... 

1 minute ago, Gwaihir said:

I think he meant Single gender patrols in coed Troops, which is what I was hearing rumblings of prior to the Buzz-Feed article... 

That's what I think he meant too, but I just wanted to make sure.  @Eagle94-A1?

After all, if we are going to get upset over rumors, we should at least make sure we understand the rumors correctly.  :)

• Upvote 1

In all the news stories I have been reading about girls joining boy scouts the one quote that I keep seeing over and over again from scouters that sums it all up and sticks with me is:

"It doesn't matter what boys think, it only matters what girls want."

That should be the new scout motto. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

It's gonna be a free for all.   Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave!.... dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

I think you left out "human sacrifice!"  I have seen that movie more times than I care to admit.

More directly to the point, I think that does pretty much sum up the attitude that some people have been taking towards all of this.  Which, of course, people are free to do.  People are also free to take more of a wait-and-see attitude, which is what I choose to do.

1 minute ago, NJCubScouter said:

I think you left out "human sacrifice!"  

We try to keep the human sacrifice on the DL