Norton Software can keep you off Scouter.com

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I have had a similar problem...

I live here at school in the dorms and have no norton. I have been able to connect to scouter.com fine here.

But on a few trips home, when I tried to acess the site, I could not. I could not click on any topics in any of the forums...no idea why...but now come to think of it...I do have norton on the computer at home... Is that the problem? Norton?

Anyone else ever encounter this?

I have Norton on my home computer and haven't been able to connect to Scouter.com since last Friday (23 Apr). I've had Norton on my pc for a few months and everything was working fine. Something's obviously changed either with this site or with my latest Norton update.

This site is the only one I'm having trouble with. I've followed all the troubleshooting suggestions in the Norton manual and I've checked my pc security settings, I even have Scouter.com set as a Trusted Site. Nothing as yet has worked.

All I know is that I was able to connect at approx. 6:30PM Friday (central time) but couldn't connect later in the evening.

The only step I haven't tried is to disable Norton. I'll try that this evening.

I am absolutely loaded with security and firewall stuff by Norton and other vendors. I have been able to access nearly every site I have tried (the ones that are still active) and I've never had a problem with this one. I think the problem may be something other than the Norton software. I think Norton (Symantec, whatever) is excellent.

I left town last Saturday. Friday evening I decided to pay one last visit to Scouter.com from my home PC (which has Norton). It couldn't connect, I assumed the site was down. I got back in town yesterday. Last night I decided to pay a quick visit to the site. Again, it was still down. I decided to try it from my work PC, and here I am. So, something had to have changed. Has Scouter-Terry replied to anyone?

The problem is with Norton.

I disabled Norton last night and was able to connect instantly. When I re-enabled it I immediately lost access to the site -- I get a "501 - Not Implemented" error.

The question is why in Norton barring access to the site? Was it caused by an update in the Norton software or a change to the site?

Packsaddle, stupid question: when did you last update your Norton security software? I believe (didn't have time to check last night) mine updated right around the time I began having problems. Can any other Norton users confirm this?

Also, has anyone else noticed that every thread began after Apr 23rd shows "Read 0 Times"? In other words, every new thread started after last Friday is not counting the number of times it has been read. Check it out. As of this moment there are 35 active threads on this site and 22 of them are not counting visits -- all of them began after the 23rd.

It appears that something changed on this site o/a Apr 23rd -- the day a few of us began having problems. Is it a coincidence? Scouter Terry, where are you?

ManyIrons, no it's a good question. My security guys require daily checks for updates - I set it up to do this automatically. I'll do it manually right now and see what happens.

Edited part: Upgrades to all features complete. Seems to be working fine.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)