Membership fees increasing again

Right. And then national sends out (today) a plea to donate money. So...increase fees AND more direct solicitations to members (bypassing councils) for even MORE money???

I think it's clear BSA has no concept of money. You don't raise fees AND solicit for more donations from the SAME group in the SAME week. That's either stupidity or gross incompetence...or both.

That reminded me of this:  http://dilbert.com/strip/1995-10-02    It's amazing what you can find on the Internet.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the most "official" message I've seen, so far. https://www.facebook.com/CommissionersOfTheBoyScoutsOfAmerica/?hc_ref=ARS7UnPtgmsiMVjgzkPmke6C8ZqWfDJVmjhOEtY-ZwGGJZBnI2cCkQ3qC2DIkDJ59m8&fre

They added a FAQ that made them look particularly dumb. Yes, there have been increases an average of once every 5 years. But in this case it's been twice in 7 years and the total has doubled in 5 year

2.2m memebers x $9 increase just about covers shortfall of 180,000 LDS kids not registering. What I object to most is 1) the steep increase (last time we went from $18 to $24 with the same excuses), 2

They added a FAQ that made them look particularly dumb. Yes, there have been increases an average of once every 5 years. But in this case it's been twice in 7 years and the total has doubled in 5 years? Didn't it used to be $15 five years ago? And yes, soccer costs $400 some place and that doesn't even include uniforms, but guess what, the $33 doesn't include uniforms either, or summer camp, or any camp, or anything within the council. So the $33 national gets just because is suddenly not so far off the $100 the council wants everyone to donate to FOS. For people that don't have much money this has just lowered the amount of money a lot of people will be giving to their council.

Truth be told, if national had less money they might have to focus on what's important so anyone that wants to complain ... go for it. Yes, I'll still pay for it but something about Thrifty is what bothers me about this. What expenses have doubled in the past 5 years? Be honest.

Yes BSA needs to stop using that argument - the soccer and other programs provide paid coaches etc. 

We need to get the volunteers, those of us actually  running the units to take back BSA.  Fewer HIGH paid professionals, more scouting.

While this is true, it is like our the continual statements from many that "we need to get our elected representatives to do their jobs".  Many agree, but few have any real answer or are willing to jump in deeply enough.  My ready response to most issues is to review how my unit, and maybe district/council can improve, and to attempt to do my small part.  As to the political stuff, try and make actual choices based on the best info available, then try to not stress when so often it seems to have little effect.

Well, this is not official, but it has been stated in this forum that the LDS negotiates its own fee structure with the BSA. (Presumably less per Scout.) Evidently it is the only CO that is permitted to do so, but it is also the only CO where the national hq of the CO writes the BSA a single check each year to register all of their units and members in the country.  I am not an expert on this, but I know that's what I have read.

The BSA is self-insured. That's the reason for this proposed increase: the insurance fund is depleting.

Here is the text of what our council sent out regarding this proposed increase:

This increase is due to the number and the size of claims made against the General Liability Insurance Plan (GLIP). As a movement we are self-insured, so every time there is claim or litigation the GLIP takes a hit.

Thanks - good to know.