Canada Girl Guides restricting scout unit travel to USA

Another reason I always keep the seat belt fastened. 

:)

In that photo, I just noticed the traffic cone on the other side of the airplane.  It can't be more than a few feet from the plane.  Did they think someone wasn't going to notice the airplane sitting there and needed a traffic cone to warn them?

Speaking of traffic control, I am noticing how far, far away this thread has gotten from its original topic, not that we have an actual rule against that.  It's more of a guideline.  :)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, if they visit some college campuses, and they are conservatives, they might not be afforded the acceptance of diversity that the law and society requires, so I see their point.

How is this nonsensical? I think it's a reasonable precaution. I'm a natural born US citizen, but I wouldn't take a scout unit into Canada in the current environment as I'm not sure I would be able to

Given the temporary nature of the travel ban I think that the Canadian Guides are indeed jumping the gun.   But as per Rick's comments it is something that organisations around the world, whether th

Well, then let's keep pushing the boundaries.

The cones are for people in vehicles that can't easily look up. The cone is likely by the wing tip, not the engine.

Please continue with bombing girls scouts, or whatever it was you were talking about before.

Since I was OP,  a summary so far.

- international scouting groups may have concerns about entering the US - whether certain members will be denied entrance or treated in a less than friendly manner based on religion or national origin. Should the State Dept respond to these concerns?

- these scouting groups might pass on US trips, including World Jambo 2019.

- traveling with electronics (laptops, lithium-ion batteries, cameras,..) internationally is becoming more problematic. Maybe this is a friendship opportunity for Jambo hosts or US scouts to share smartphones and laptops? 

Another Canadian school board cancels future trips to the US.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/03/23/tdsb-wont-approve-new-student-trips-to-us.html

Canada’s largest school board will not approve any new student trips to the United States in the wake of controversial travel restrictions proposed by President Donald Trump.

However, 25 trips involving about 900 Toronto District School Board students that are already scheduled for this spring will go ahead as planned unless circumstances change, TDSB education director John Malloy wrote in a letter to principals Thursday.

Given the uncertainty over the proposed travel restrictions, “we strongly believe that our students should not be placed into these situations of potentially being turned away at the border,†Malloy said.

It's nice to know that there are people out there that are more paranoid than us Americans.  The goal of a terrorist is to promote fear and hostility among people.  They are succeeding. 

You missed:

- Opportunists looking for a reason to complain about a non-issue because they hate the politics of half of the US.

Considering only about 50% of voting age American's vote, it's more like 25% of the population.

And who are you to decide it's a non-issue for other people?  For the Canadian Girl Guides organization, current government immigration and visitation policies are an issue because it could affect some of their members.  While some in this thread seem just fine with potentially leaving some members behind on a trip if they can't get through customs so the other members don't lose out, I applaud the Girl Guides for coming out with a position that says either all of their members have the ability to enjoy an official Girl Guide trip to the US or no one goes to the US under the Girl Guides rubric.  I applaud them for sticking up for their diversity policies.  If I'm crossing an international border with my Scouts and a couple are turned away because of their religion, we're all turning around and finding somewhere else to spend our money.

Considering only about 50% of voting age American's vote, it's more like 25% of the population.

And who are you to decide it's a non-issue for other people? For the Canadian Girl Guides organization, current government immigration and visitation policies are an issue because it could affect some of their members. While some in this thread seem just fine with potentially leaving some members behind on a trip if they can't get through customs so the other members don't lose out, I applaud the Girl Guides for coming out with a position that says either all of their members have the ability to enjoy an official Girl Guide trip to the US or no one goes to the US under the Girl Guides rubric. I applaud them for sticking up for their diversity policies. If I'm crossing an international border with my Scouts and a couple are turned away because of their religion, we're all turning around and finding somewhere else to spend our money.

You assume the other 50% of the non voting citizens agree with you. Popular opinion shows the country still split. Weed out those who don't have the right to vote and it's more to the against.

The change in immigration review has nothing to do with diversity. It has to do with rule of law.

Edited by Back Pack

And who are you to decide it's a non-issue for other people?  For the Canadian Girl Guides organization, current government immigration and visitation policies are an issue because it could affect some of their members.  While some in this thread seem just fine with potentially leaving some members behind on a trip if they can't get through customs so the other members don't lose out, I applaud the Girl Guides for coming out with a position that says either all of their members have the ability to enjoy an official Girl Guide trip to the US or no one goes to the US under the Girl Guides rubric.  I applaud them for sticking up for their diversity policies.  If I'm crossing an international border with my Scouts and a couple are turned away because of their religion, we're all turning around and finding somewhere else to spend our money.

No one is being turned away for their religion. They are being turned away for their country of origin, residence or citizenship, and only from those countries that are known to have strong ties to terrorism and/or loose security.

There are more Americans stopped, detained and searched for bringing in too much booze than there are Scouts of any kind being detained or denied entry for their religion. Seriously, let's be realistic here.

Edited by Col. Flagg

Not strictly relevant, but the countries in question were identified as subject to special scrutiny by our previous administration.

85% of the Muslims in the world are beyond the scope of that scrutiny or the Executive Order.

Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly visited Detroit on Monday (3/27/17) in part to allay fears from local Hispanics and Muslims about President Donald Trump’s immigration policies, but the results were mixed.

“No one is targeted, regardless of what unfortunately gets reported sometimes,†Kelly said. “Every single time a foreigner or American citizen comes into this country — and there are millions every day — they generally move straight through the process. A very tiny number are set aside for additional screening. That’s not based on religion, color or politics, and I reject anyone who makes that claim.

“The conversation today revolved around ... how ... we look very, very hard at terrorism (and) terrorist initiatives. ... Generally speaking, I think they were most interested in hearing from someone who has this job and makes no distinction between race, color and politics. It’s all about protecting America.â€

"If they're in Canada legally, and they have the proper paperwork, they don't have to worry about anything," Kelly said. "I don't get it. But it's their business. And if they feel that way, that's their loss, I guess."

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2017/03/27/homeland-security-secretary-visits-detroit-area/99690472/

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/29/521920595/canadians-report-more-scrutiny-and-rejection-at-u-s-border-checkpoints

Edited by RememberSchiff

Maybe the BSA should consider a flying ban for Scouts considering traveling to Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/trudeau-airport-radicalization-security-concerns-1.4045525

According to the report, at least one had access to runways and had been the subject of a police investigation.

One suggested committing an attack similar to the one in Paris in 2015 that killed 130 people, while another shared ISIS propaganda on his Facebook page.

Tyler Stoute, who works at a duty-free shop in international departures, said he's concerned by the level of security.

"It is a bit concerning, because there are many people who just walk through security every day without being searched and that is definitely a concern," he said.

Barry