I know, I know...but I have a different angle on this one.

Our troop does not "do" adult awards in the sense of scouting program. At the year end banquet, we give out plaques to the "CM of the year" or "ASM of the year" or whatever. But we never give out "knots". Even where deserved. The only exception is Silver Beaver, and we don't award that.

Our SM is departing the job. He did a wonderful job. Truly exemplary. But he is staying in the troop and in "lesser" leadership roles.  So, I thought it would be nice to get him his "Scoutmaster's Key" or "Unit Leader's Award of Merit". He does wear a "Cubmaster's Key" on his uniform.

The paperwork all requires the CC's signature. So I sent him all the information and suggested it would be a good idea. Silence. Crickets. Never even acknowledged the email. I will follow up, and mention it in person next time we get a chance to chat.

My question, though, is...what happens if the CC won't sign the paperwork for whatever reason? Is there a way to go around the CC? I would rather not have to go to district or council if I can avoid it.

• Upvote 1

Talk with your District Commissioner or District Chairman.  I submitted the paperwork for my Committee Chair's Scouter Training award without her knowing.  I just filled out the paperwork and then talked with my District Commissioner explaining the omission of the CC signature.  He (District Commish) signed it instead.  

• Upvote 1

No plaques, please! :dry: But, that's just my pet peeve.

I think it is important to get on the phone or talk face-to-face with the CC before bypassing him. If there are strong opinions contrary to yours you may re-think how you all approach this.

But, assuming it's just lost paperwork, the CC met the love of his life and is on an extended honeymoon in Tahiti, or something else innocuous, follow Ken's advice.

Edited by qwazse
  • Upvote 1

My question, though, is...what happens if the CC won't sign the paperwork for whatever reason? Is there a way to go around the CC? I would rather not have to go to district or council if I can avoid it.

If you CC won't sign and help, then I am not sure you have an option (other than forgery) with regard to district's help.

The Key requires a signature of the CC and the district or council training chair. You could go to them.

The Unit Leader award requires a statement from the CC and their signature.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/511-054_WB.pdf

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/512-003_WB.pdf

I can offer insight as a district and council training chair.  When I review these applications I confirm that the dates listed meet the required tenure and I confirm that all of the other necessary boxes are checked but I usually have no way to confirm these other requirements - that is, I have no clue if the person attended 4 roundtables in the past 3 years.  I do confirm that there are signatures in the places that require signatures but most of the time I dont know even know (without looking it up) who the CC is for the unit.

In the end - I think the only reason CC could give for not signing that would cause me to not approve, is that somebody else filled out the form and the information is not accurate.  Otherwise, if the requirements are met then the award should be approved.  Just like we insist for our Scouts.

Edited by jjlash
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

In Cub Scouts our pack included these into the awards program where the boys seemed to like a lot of 'bling' and see that they had a 'dedicated' adult. Sometimes the CM just handed it to you at the leaders meeting. In Boy Scouts we only do so warily, the adult awards seem to expand the COH too long. I have seen overly long Wood Badge beadings in the COH and think it is a mistake but that has been discussed elsewhere. We do include some quick adult achievement recognitions into announcements during the regular meetings especially if it was a slow night. Some of these might be better done at a campout.

One exception we make in our Troop is for long suffering background essential recognitions on the Committee: popcorn sales, treasurer, advancement chair, etc. They deserve the glory at the COH.

In our unit the SPL awards them.

That's how I got mine. The SPL did most of the leg work to get the award. He wrote a very nice letter. Quite an honor when it comes from the scouts and the only knot I bother sewing on my shirt.

Barry

That's how I got mine. The SPL did most of the leg work to get the award. He wrote a very nice letter. Quite an honor when it comes from the scouts and the only knot I bother sewing on my shirt.

Barry

Our unit does this too. The ASMs work with the SPL to make sure they are aware of which adults are eligible, and then they help with the paperwork. The award is done by the SPL at a meeting in front of the unit. No big "adult award fest" like you see at district. Simple and meaningful and done by the boys.