The boys used blanket rolls and dumped the backpacks in the Civil War.    At that time they didn't have the frame to the backpack necessary for the belt to be applied.  It is surprising how much "stuff" can be carried in a blanket roll very comfortably.  One must also realize that even with the backpack, the food and water was always carried separately from the backpack and on campaign, much of the supplies were carried by wagon and tentage was always optional on the march.  Once it became necessary for the soldier to carry more were policies and equipment changes made.

A normal Civil War soldier carried about #50 total equipment including #11 rifle and #5 lead ammunition.  Canteen was 2 QT adding another #4 and 3 days of food rations.  That means only about half of what the soldier carried was in his backpack...#20-#25 at the most.  Rain poncho, gum blanket, wool blanket, 1/2 tent, all of which could be rolled up and thrown over the shoulder.

The backpack was a useless piece of equipment with or without a waist belt.

Edited by Stosh
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All-purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment specifically the Field Pack - 8465-001-6480 - medium on a frame.  I've found the Medium A.L.I.C.E. can do double duty as a weekend backpack and a

I think I scared off Youngest from backpacking. Don't know what happened between when The family left for their trip, and when I met up with oldest, but he doesn't want to carry everything on his back

To which your family graciously declined their offer and slept outside where the adventure is....??????   I just took my Webelos AOL candidates out on their overnight camping adventure and woke up t

OK understood.  Sometimes I'm dense. :o

Well the A.L.I.C.E. I have the son using have been modified. It has the M.O.L.L.E. belt and  newer, wider straps. Lot more comfortable than when I used it on a regular basis.

I admit I love A.L.I.C.E. but it's been on 2 of my three 50 milers, a NSJ and WSJ, my European Camp Staff adventure, and a host of other campouts. But I do realize it's dated, lots of improvements and tech since it was created 45+ years ago.

And after this loading up the car for the wife to go camping with the 3 hoodlums while I slave away at work, I need to start investing in backpacking gear. Trunk was maxed out, and the kids will have stuff in their laps.

The design included two wooden struts that angles from the rear corners of the back bottom to fit into pockets at the hips of a broad belt just behind opposing cartridge pouches.  No threat to a proper modern pack, but a big improvement on anything that puts all the weight on the shoulders.

One good feature of the shoulder-borne sack - few people in the back country.

hey, that's great Eagle94!

I think it goes to show that the cub program is a bit watered down from where it 'wants' to be.

well really all of the BSA program.... the Wolf and Bear aged boys are pretty much ready to do stuff the ST2F scouts are doing.... and the T2F scouts are gearing up I think in at least many cases to more of what the venturing scouts are doing....

it would all be more fun all around I think....

I've been wanting to get my son out doing some backpacking since he was about that age.  sadly I never made it happen.  He hasn't been overly drawn to the idea, and we honestly just don't have many great trails to do it on around here.....

Well, all depends on the child.  We have Second Class scouts that are barely able to car camp.  We have Tenderfoots that are experienced backpackers. 

Well, all depends on the child.  We have Second Class scouts that are barely able to car camp.  We have Tenderfoots that are experienced backpackers. 

One needs to work these boys slowly into the backpacking process.  I'd start with carrying the sofa cushions to the kitchen every time they need a snack.

Yeah we had a WEBELOS (emphasis) who did 40 miles on the AT with Mom and Dad. While a Scout, he taught classes on backpacking gear and backpacking cooking.  Long story short, he was disqualified from the backpacking cooking competition because 'we can't allow professionals." :)  And yes, there was no left overs with his dish ;)

One needs to work these boys slowly into the backpacking process.  I'd start with carrying the sofa cushions to the kitchen every time they need a snack.

Actually SWMBO has loaded their backpacks with some gear and has been hiking them around the neighborhoods with Oldest so that all 4 of them could get ready for this weekend. THANKFULLY I was able to convince Middle Son he did not need his vintage, metal first aid kit with the spray can of local anesthetic. THAT KIT WAS HEAVIER THAN MINE!!!!!!

The cushion and not the frame?  

Just the cushions!  Gotta start slowly with these boys.  Just getting up and going to kitchen is a major trek for some of them.

I think I scared off Youngest from backpacking. Don't know what happened between when The family left for their trip, and when I met up with oldest, but he doesn't want to carry everything on his back as it's too heavy.  I think he tried oldest's pack on, and at approx. 28# it was heavy.

As for middle son, he prefers "glamping" in a camper. One of the other Scouts family did the same thing my family did, leave early and have some family time. But they used a camper. When the temps dropped to near freezing, my family was invited into the camper.

Trip went well. Scouts did a great job, and I think learned a heckuva lot of stuff. I know I relearned some things I've forgotten. Only think that irked me to no end was the neighboring group left their fire going after they left. took us about 20 minutes to put the fire out having to make sever trips to the stream to get enough water to do the job. Why can't people be careful with fire? :mad:

On a different note, the troop was complimented by another group for how well we left the campsite, as well as for putting out the fire. They were on the opposite side of the group that left the fire going, and saw us putting it out. Guys did really well :D

• Upvote 1

Trip went well. Scouts did a great job, and I think learned a heckuva lot of stuff. I know I relearned some things I've forgotten. Only think that irked me to no end was the neighboring group left their fire going after they left. took us about 20 minutes to put the fire out having to make sever trips to the stream to get enough water to do the job. Why can't people be careful with fire? :mad:

Funny, we see this happen a lot. Once it was another troop. Very annoying. They also left a lot of garbage spread over their site. Ugly boy scouts I guess.

Barry

As for middle son, he prefers "glamping" in a camper. One of the other Scouts family did the same thing my family did, leave early and have some family time. But they used a camper. When the temps dropped to near freezing, my family was invited into the camper.

To which your family graciously declined their offer and slept outside where the adventure is....??????

I just took my Webelos AOL candidates out on their overnight camping adventure and woke up to a heavy frost.  Along with the AOL patch award in a couple of weeks, they will also be getting their Polar Bear Award for camping out at -32oF.  First time camping for the majority of the boys.  No one complained at all.  As a matter of fact I set a new record for campouts.  After 45+ years of taking kids camping, I think this weekend was the first time I did not hear one word spoken in anger to anyone and no one complained about anything!  The service project part of the weekend, the boys cleaned up the Brownsea area of the council camp for next summer and they rebuilt the firepit, picked up every piece of firewood within 50' of the site and stacked it up neatly and had it all set to go.  My ASM and I sat at the picnic table at the site and didn't say a word throughout the hour and a half of the boys working.  As I sat there I even contemplated doing WDL again.

As a Webelos event, the ASM and I did all the cooking, but had everyone at one time or another stopping by and offering to help out with little chores here and there around the camp kitchen.  Well, I"m out of the Twilight Zone and have returned back to real life this morning.  By the way, these are the boys that will be the basis for my next year of scouting!  I am really looking forward to it!

• Upvote 1

Alas no, my family did not decline. Two of middle son's fellow Webelos were in the camper. They and youngest basically had a slumber party. Wife and our friends probably wished they were outside with a all the giggles and talking that occured. I'm cool with it though because all four Cubs just had a campout  2 weeks previously

Switching gears a tad. I was told the troop will revert back to NSPs in December instead of keeping mixed aged. Made a comment to the SPL that he needs to keep all of my pack's Scouts in one patrol, even if it's a 5 man patrol, and not mix others into it to keep the dynamics. The Webelos did a stellar job on that camp out, and the one the month before. They did all the cooking, cleaning, setting up, etc with just a few reminders on both camp outs. Oldest saw them in action at Webeloree in March, and told me he thinks they will have no problems when they join the troop.

Alas no, my family did not decline. Two of middle son's fellow Webelos were in the camper. They and youngest basically had a slumber party. Wife and our friends probably wished they were outside with a all the giggles and talking that occured. I'm cool with it though because all four Cubs just had a campout  2 weeks previously

Switching gears a tad. I was told the troop will revert back to NSPs in December instead of keeping mixed aged. Made a comment to the SPL that he needs to keep all of my pack's Scouts in one patrol, even if it's a 5 man patrol, and not mix others into it to keep the dynamics. The Webelos did a stellar job on that camp out, and the one the month before. They did all the cooking, cleaning, setting up, etc with just a few reminders on both camp outs. Oldest saw them in action at Webeloree in March, and told me he thinks they will have no problems when they join the troop.

But of course!!  When those 5 boys have their ECOH together, remember this day!  20 years ago my Webelos boys did that, I know I was more proud of them than their dads.  One of the boys even commented that because I had been his WDL and ASM for 9 years, no other adult male other than his father had spent that much time helping him with growing up. Who needs a mentor pin when a boy says that to you?  :)

Imagine, if the Webelos boys do a stellar job as Cubs, what they can accomplish as Boy Scouts if the adults get out of their way! 

Edited by Stosh