University of Scouting patches

I recently attended the MTCBSA University of Scouting and earned my Bachelors.  Do leaders wear the UoS patches on their uniform?  If so, where?  Our patch is too big to go on the right pocket as a temporary, so I wondered if it could go above the right pocket.  The patch did not come with a loop but I thought about attaching one to it to wear on the button of right pocket.  It's a good looking patch and I would like to wear it, but if it is overkill then let me know.

Thanks.

What @@Stosh meant to say was, "Thank you for taking the time to get trained. Hopefully this will be one small step in your experience working with scouts and youth in general." :D

The only space on a field uniform for a patch such as this is on the right pocket. A sewn loop for it to hang on the button might work.

The space above the right pocket is reserved for a jamboree patch, interpreter's strip(s) and a name tag, http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34048.pdf.

Sounds like this patch was designed to go on a felt vest/jacket or on a backpack. When it comes to judging overkill, look at the leaders whom you respect the most. Dress as they do with just a little variation to suit your character.

Edited by qwazse
  • Upvote 1

What @@Stosh meant to say was, "Thank you for taking the time to get trained. Hopefully this will be one small step in your experience working with scouts and youth in general." :D

The only space on a field uniform for a patch such as this is on the right pocket. A sewn loop for it to hang on the button might work.

The space above the right pocket is reserved for a jamboree patch, interpreter's strip(s) and a name tag, http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34048.pdf.

Sounds like this patch was designed to go on a felt vest/jacket or on a backpack. When it comes to judging overkill, look at the leaders whom you respect the most. Dress as they do with just a little variation to suit your character.

EXCUUUUSE ME!?? I can speak for myself!!  :)  We ain't talkin' bout temp patches from UofScouting here, the one patch that IS NOT in my bin is the small patch that says TRAINED on my left sleeve.  That is not a bling patch.  That's a fur real one. 

Seriously, one can have all the UofS degrees in the world and none of them is as important than the position trained patch on the left sleeve.  I have all the training from Cubs through Venturing including the UC and Committee position training because I want to know what those people are supposed to be doing to support the boys. 

UofScouting is kinda like the frosting on the cake, the nice neatsy training, the meat and potatoes is the "Trained" patch.

• Upvote 2

Stosh, I respectfully disagree. The Trained Patch is the bare minimum. Often times, many folks who have earned the Trained Patch are still learning, still have a lot of learning to go. While I'm not a huge fan of UoS, I think continuing education for Scouters beyond the required training is important. 

• Upvote 1

What about the people that show up at UofS for the Dutch oven presentations, How to run a PWD, Canoe Kayak Preso, and still don't have trained on their sleeve?  I've seen that more than once.  Minimum meat and potatoes is still better than a whole bowl of frosting.  :)  We'll just have to disagree.  :)  UofS isnt the only continuing ed, Roundtables, and other seminars are just as important.  The Webelos trained scouter that moves up into the troop may have trained on his sleeve, but that's not going to cut it any longer, needs more.

By the way being over trained can be a problem too.  

By the bare minimum one could also describe that as the meat and potatoes of the process, the veggies, gravy and dessert are always nice to complete the meal. :rolleyes:

Edited by Stosh

Quite the philosophical discussion.  I did not mean to put a burr under anyone's saddle.  I am a co-den leader for our Bears and am looking forward to moving to Webelos 1.  I am position-specific trained as a Den Leader, Cubmaster, and Committee Member.  I do have my Trained patch but I'm still learning.  I attended the UoS for BALOO and enjoyed it.  I will put my UoS patches in the drawer with the others I will attain.

By the way Stosh, the dutch oven class was under the same pavilion that we were using and it smelled really good.  Man, you keep talking about meat and potatoes, veggies, gravy and dessert, you're making me hungry.

Quite the philosophical discussion.  I did not mean to put a burr under anyone's saddle.  I am a co-den leader for our Bears and am looking forward to moving to Webelos 1.  I am position-specific trained as a Den Leader, Cubmaster, and Committee Member.  I do have my Trained patch but I'm still learning.  I attended the UoS for BALOO and enjoyed it.  I will put my UoS patches in the drawer with the others I will attain.

By the way Stosh, the dutch oven class was under the same pavilion that we were using and it smelled really good.  Man, you keep talking about meat and potatoes, veggies, gravy and dessert, you're making me hungry.

@@tnmule20  Don't worry about our tangents, after the first post we always seem to take off in every direction!  Kinda like when the DL lets the boys outside for a few moments!  :)

As far as the temp patches, seriously, go with the patches with the button loops.  They switch out pretty easily.  My first uniform I bought when I got back into scouting as an adult has a 1993 Scoutfest patch on it.  Way too lazy to take it off and sew another on.  That's why I have the bin.  Someday I'm going to put that bin of patches on E-Bay and make a fortune. 

I really will eventually (eventually)  have made and sell a bumper sticker that reads "Will Work For Colorful Scraps Of Cloth", with a Scout fleur de lis in the corner.

U of Scouting can be inspirational, informative, fun, useful, meaningful and  tiring,  uneventful, worthless, boring and waste of time.   "It Depends".

Patches are what you want them to be, and the Uniform Police will counsel those that need to be reminded of the importance of "Patches"  :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvfsfS6NVUc&nohtml5=False 

U of S  patch looks good on my red Jacshirt, just under the right front pocket.    

• 2 weeks later...