Ceremonies, Do You Use Them?

""When asked to appear upon some important occasion and deliver a five-minute speech, ((President Lincoln))  said that he had no time to prepare five-minute speeches, but that he could go and speak an hour at any time.""

A good ceremony needs the three "Ps" :  Purpose,  Planning and Practice .    Without them, any supposed ceremony  demonstrates and elicits   the three "Bs":

Boredom,  Buffoonery  and  Questions (okay, two Bs)    yawning, snickers and why are we here?  

If the participants believe in what they are doing, the audience can forgive alot, but the inspiration must come early and with clarity.

I like the Patrol Leader ceremony mentioned above.  It helps to make it clear what a PL is expected to do.  No amount of SM talks can do what a public promise can do.  

@@vumbi, you make excellent points:

- Image matters (the out-of-shape SM).    The public is watching.

- Ceremonies should be short and sweet.   Long and elaborate does not equal more respect. 

As for cutting the flag or burning it whole, I've seen it both ways.   At first I was horrified at the idea of cutting the flag.   But then I saw the ceremony that followed, and it was truly the best I've seen to date.

If respect and dignity are the hallmarks, proceed as you see best.

• Upvote 1

The ceremony needs to be dignified and respectful.  If you regard cutting the Flag into pieces as disrespectful, you should not do it.

Many years have passed since I watched the First Marine Division retire a U.S. flag.  They separated the "Field of Valor" from the strips before burning.  I was told by a Sgt Major that they flag was cut so it was no longer the U.S. Ensign.

My point exactly, once the flag has been cut up IT IS NO LONGER THE U. S. ENSIGN, and is now just rags to be discarded.  When I retire the Flag, I retire the Flag, not just cut up pieces of cloth.

And by the way, what the military does is not the same as what civilians do.  The US Flag Code is for civilians and the military has it's own flag code of protocol.

...capped by the SM waddling across the stage with the 'union', displaying a rather (ahem) unflattering profile.

- Image matters (the out-of-shape SM).    The public is watching.

While I'm sure everyone that posts here has less than 5% body fat, can do pullups until the Sun burns out, and run a marathon at the drop of a hat, its hard enough to get volunteers these days and the last thing we should be doing is shaming those who DO participate.  Unless you want only those in top physical shape to be adult leaders, in which case good luck finding enough to staff more than a handful of units nationwide.

Edited by MrBob

While I'm sure everyone that posts here has less than 5% body fat, can do pullups until the Sun burns out, and run a marathon at the drop of a hat, its hard enough to get volunteers these days and the last thing we should be doing is shaming those who DO participate.  Unless you want only those in top physical shape to be adult leaders, in which case good luck finding enough to staff more than a handful of units nationwide.

Mr. Bob, I don't think anyone is advocating elite athleticism.   But there are leaders don't even try to present a "physically strong" image.   Too many.   It impacts the BSA's image and recruitment (birds of a feather) and sets a poor example for the scouts.

We all have limitations.   Age and wear/tear take their toll.   However, most of us can still exercise in some manner.   And watch what we eat.   Collectively that would be a step in the right direction.  

Edited by desertrat77

MrBob, point taken. He stood out as the only adult in the ceremony and could have handed that job to the SPL. Not many were paying attention by that time. To me it stuck out that the only adult who entered the ceremony was the last person to represent the scouts to the audience. And while I can't say what the impression was by the audience, and I've spoken to the leader before - he's a really nice guy, it wasn't exactly the image that the audience had from watching the boys. I admit that after the long wait, I was applying a critical eye to everything, perhaps not as fairly as I could have.

There is nothing wrong with a scoutmaster participating in a flag retirement ceremony, no matter the size of his/her midsection.  He/She is a US citizen and has every right.  This is Boy Scouts, not the military.  Many of the men I learned from and admired since 1970 had much larger waist sizes than mine.

It is not necessary to cut up the flag before burning, just fold it and put it on the fire.

There is no one proper ceremony for retiring a US flag.  Every branch of the military has their own method, as does the VFW, American Legion, DAV, Amvets, each individual scout troop, patriotic organization,  etc.  Choose one of theirs or develop one of your own.  Use dignity and respect, and no one will have a valid complaint.  A proper, dignified ceremony can be done in 5 minutes.  You need not hold the audience for every single flag, just the first.  Remember, it's a ceremony. One and Done.

Ceremonies in Scouting are important to the boy and his family.  They are something that he will remember for a lifetime.  However short it may be, a ceremony leaves a lifelong lasting impression.  Always do them, from Scout rank on up!  Merit Badges, service stars, everything!  They don't need to be elaborate to be memorable.

Edited by frankpalazzi
  • Upvote 2

I was told by an American Legion member and Scouter today that any flag flown at a veteran's grave must be thereafter removed and burned."according to the flag code."   He was very sincere,  Apparnetly, they collect all the small flags placed on graves on Memorial Day and burn them.