Get Ready For New Requirements In Faith

If God made me in his image as he did all our ancestors, and we have evolved and changed since our ancestors, does that mean God keeps on evolving & changing himself, and then he changes us to have his new traits?...   Did God once look like a Neanderthal ???   :eek:  Oh, no, could not be, throw that Darwin bum out ! :mad:   

You are assuming of course that God is done creating.  Maybe evolution is simply the method God chose to create.

I suppose it also assumes "created in his image" is a physical attribute and not some other say spiritual attribute.

Only the arrogance of man would assume such. :)

Edited by dcsimmons
  • Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For duty to God, I have always fallen back on the words writtenin the 1911 Handbook. To paraphrase, a Scouts duty to God is demonstrated in their actions by helping others, doing ones good turn daily.

We've had this discussion before. The BSA requires that you believe in a higher power. It does not require that you believe in a higher power that prescribed (or prescribes) ethics and morality for ma

This just seems like one more in a long line of micromanaging the program. Instead of helping leaders understand how to make the patrol method work we get JTE. Instead of helping us have a discussion

I am not sure that is accurate. Catholics (and Orthodox) view the books that Protestants call "apocrypha" (well, at least some of them) as canonical. Sentinel listed them above. And any well-formed Catholic will tell you that prayer for the dead can be justified from 2 Machabees 12.

Key phrase in Catholicism scrabble, "well formed"

Sentinel947 

You are assuming of course that God is done creating.  Only the arrogance of man would assume such. :)

Are you saying as God continues to make improvements on himself, my descendants will get those improvements also? If God went in for a nose job, my descendants will all have better looking noses also?.. Well maybe not that superficial, but perhaps God could work on that kneecap problem for Packsaddles... Cool..

You are assuming of course that God is done creating.  Maybe evolution is simply the method God chose to create.

So how then does one explain the continual genetic mutations attributed to evolution?  God didn't get it right in the first place?  Only the arrogance of man would assume such.

I suppose it also assumes "created in his image" is a physical attribute and not some other say spiritual attribute.

The image of you in the mirror is not you.  Only a reflection of you.

This is where the wisdom of the human mind fills in the gaps... with assumptions.  :)

Ooops, you changed your post.. Darn those cross posts..

Perhaps evolution Is his way, still can work on those kneecaps for Packsaddle.. (Got your back Packsaddle.)

So are you saying I take after God with my winning personality?  My sunny disposition? My singing talent? (plug your ears)  My love of chocolate? My poise & grace? (Ha)..

Edited by moosetracker

So riddle me this, Joker.... Since the species homo erectus has appeared on the scene, how much has he evolved?  He's basically the same genetic species he has always been.  He has learned how to retain knowledge, but that's not an evolutionary thing,  He has developed technology, but that's not an evolutionary thing.  He still kills his brother out of jealousy, like he has been doing all along.  He still wages useless wars,  Still seeks power over this companions, Has an over-bearing ego, etc. Somewhere along the line one would think some mutation would have come along to make things a bit better, but I'm really not seeing it.  Switch a cave to a house and one still sees the same-old, same-old.  Surely Socrates' philosophy dispelling the pagonism of the Greeks, redressed into neo-classic revivalism called "evolution" can surely come up with a simple explanation.

Ooops, you changed your post.. Darn those cross posts..

Perhaps evolution Is his way, still can work on those kneecaps for Packsaddle.. (Got your back Packsaddle.)

So are you saying I take after God with my winning personality?  My sunny disposition? My singing talent? (plug your ears)  My love of chocolate? My poise & grace? (Ha)..

Not so much :).  Winning personalities, sunny dispositions, singing talent, poise, grace, food preferences are all the things of man.  So let me ask you this, what makes a painting a masterpiece?  The quality of the canvass?  The oil in the paints?  The hair in the brush?  Or the "life" the creator breathes into it?  The intangibles we call "art" have nothing to do with the physical medium and everything to do with the emotional, dare I say spiritual, qualities it brings out in us.  It's not my place to know the mind of God or even pretend to try to understand it.  The scriptures don't say he created the world, and it was perfect, it says he created the world and it was good. Maybe it's good enough for him to develop the physical man into the spiritual man that was created in his image.  You know, kind of like using an outdoor program to develop character! :)

• Upvote 1

So let me ask you this, what makes a painting a masterpiece?  The quality of the canvass?  The oil in the paints?  The hair in the brush?  Or the "life" the creator breathes into it? 

Ok, but then why is it stated "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them."  Why not all life, did God not breathe as much life into a cat, bird or lizard (painted canvas wise)?

Still think it must be my sunny disposition.. Cat's can sing as well as I, and birds can sing better..

So riddle me this, Joker.... Since the species homo erectus has appeared on the scene, how much has he evolved?  He's basically the same genetic species he has always been.  He has learned how to retain knowledge, but that's not an evolutionary thing,  He has developed technology, but that's not an evolutionary thing.  He still kills his brother out of jealousy, like he has been doing all along.  He still wages useless wars,  Still seeks power over this companions, Has an over-bearing ego, etc. Somewhere along the line one would think some mutation would have come along to make things a bit better, but I'm really not seeing it.  Switch a cave to a house and one still sees the same-old, same-old.  Surely Socrates' philosophy dispelling the pagonism of the Greeks, redressed into neo-classic revivalism called "evolution" can surely come up with a simple explanation.

Homo erectus went extinct around 70,000 years ago. We have little-to-no knowledge of its genetics.

If the point you are trying to make is that H. sapiens seems to have similar characteristics, needs, interests, and tendencies today as we did way back in written history, I agree. The other monkeys haven't changed much either...except there are fewer of them and a lot more of us.

Edited by packsaddle

Here's one interpretation of In God's Image. It's not about comparing yourself to God. If everyone is created in God's image then the question is how should we treat everyone? Possibly the same way we treat God, and the same way God treats us. To help other people at all times comes to mind.

When student athletes invite me to the 'faculty appreciation dinner' I also get to watch the football team practicing prior to the meal. It always impresses me, all those strong young athletes being coached in some part by former, older, athletes who are now hobbling around slowly, sometimes with some kind of knee brace or other fixture to overcome pain or disability. That 'knee thing' is the subject of one of the 'sermons' I give my young, 'invincible' students. I tell them to pay close attention to those debilitated coaches because that can very well be their fate as well....created in His (their coach's) image.

To help other people at all times comes to mind.

Well, yes.  And if a young man regularly promises to help other people at all times, and does so, I'm not sure how much difference it makes whether he actually believes in God or not.

It doesn't matter. But, if the scout believes in God maybe these words will encourage him. Or maybe the person that wrote the scout oath was encouraged by those words. I'm not stating there's an if and only if relationship here. I'm sure the Dalai Lama has his own meaning and words that are similar to the scout oath. Whatever encourages people to be better people I'm all for. I brought this up because a bunch of people were talking about a phrase in the Bible that has deeper meaning than Pack's knees.