Forum Newbie, Experienced (But A Little Rusty) Scouter

I'm just getting back into it.

I grew up in a Boy Scout troop and think it's a fantastic program. Being a lifelong procrastinator, I got my Eagle a week or so before my eighteenth birthday. I was an 18 year old Assistant Scoutmaster, a 19 year old District Advancement Chairman, then a 21 year old District Commissioner. By the time I was 25 or so, I was working most weekends and lots of evenings and it was just not possible to do anything with Scouting. I gave it up. That was in the mid-nineties. So around twenty years later, here I am back.

Happy Easter

Mike

Welcome back mgood,   You are not alone many of us stopped scouting for a year or two or 10 or 20.  Then came back when we could.

Be warned!   the hills are steeper.  the sleeping pads thinner, and the creaking joints tend to give us away when stalking animals.  

But the smiles on scouts faces when they reach the top of a mountain ( of any sort )  are still there,  so are the sunsets,  and the good friends made around the campfire.

Oldscout

• Upvote 2

Those steep hills just allow us to enjoy those passing moments a little longer. The thinner pads? Well, we're less susceptible to pain by now, I hope, lol.

I have one of those shrunken uniforms too. But...never had that hair! :D

• Upvote 1

But...never had that hair! :D

Yeah, I had the hair, lol. I thought I was the rock'n'roll Boy Scout.

This was taken in 1987 at Philmont. I wore this getup to the campfire one night. My Scoutmaster told me to dress just like that the next day. He wanted to get a picture of me but had the wrong filter on his camera or something or other. So all morning I was posing and trying to look cool, just waiting for him to take my pic. He ignored me and never went near his camera. When I was trying to get the fire going, down on my knees blowing in it, he says "Hey, Goodwin!" I looked up and he got me. I look angry, but that was smoke in my eyes, lol.

post-43321-0-70508900-1428215662_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Welcome back to the Scouting life, mgood777!  I, too, took 15 years off and realized there was a giant Scouting-shaped hole in my life.  Over the past four years I've filled it with camping, hiking, and lots of mentoring.  It's great!  

BTW, I love that pic of you in the flannel shirt.  Very 1987.   :laugh:

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the forums & back to scouting :) I wish I had some memories to share from back then but sadly the only thing I have from that year is a birth certificate :p (ducks) Love seeing all the flashback pics on here. Hope to see you around and please continue sharing!

• Upvote 1