No Scouting on Yom Kippur?

As someone that is Jewish. Yom Kippur is the holiest day of the year and not a happy holiday. It would be respectful to not conflict with that date. We avoid a large number of Christian days during the year.

My wife is Jewish and I do understand. My remarks were kinda in jest

Just to summarize as most others have hit my points. If you are running an OA, District, Council or National Event, the event should not take place on an important religious holiday.

As for your unit, that depends on the Scouts in the unit. If you know you have no Jewish Scouts, then camping over Yom Kippur would be fine. If you do, then by camping on Yom Kippur you exclude those Scouts, which isn't fair. I feel like it's pretty common sense here.

Yours in Scouting,

Sentinel947

Original post ... It's been discussed at our district committee meetings when we lay out the calendar for the next year. No events on Christian or Jewish holidays. I believe the camps may also not be reserved. Not 100% sure on that. Just know that the district is NOT to schedule any events.

Units can do what they want.

Interestingly, the Boys' Life Planning Calendar 2015-2014 marks no religious holidays except for Christmas.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/magazine/pdf/331-011.pdf

You make a very good point, and this is something I noticed before. I take issue with Boy's Like only recognizing on faith, which is also evident in it's "Bible Stories". Fair treatment would be nice, major observance days of all faiths should appear on the calendar, and "Bible Stories" should rotate between belief systems, or be removed. Boy's Life consistently fails to set the correct example.

God, grow up. The index in the back of the calendar includes all holidays from Judaism, Ba'hai, Hinduism, Zoroastrianism (for all 5 people in the US that are Zoroastrians), Sikhism, Jainism (for all 3 Jainists) and a ton from Christianity which aren't marked on the calendar pages themselves, either.

God' date=' grow up. The index in the back of the calendar includes all holidays from Judaism, Ba'hai, Hinduism, Zoroastrianism (for all 5 people in the US that are Zoroastrians), Sikhism, Jainism (for all 3 Jainists) and a ton from Christianity which aren't marked on the calendar pages themselves, either.[/quote']

:o My fault, I missed that.

Odd the way this is laid out. After the December 2015 page is a page with 2016 and 2017 religious dates, then a page with 2017 and 2018 religious dates, and finally two pages of 2014-2015 religious dates.

Again sorry :o

RS

:o My fault, I missed that.

Odd the way this is laid out. After the December 2015 page is a page with 2016 and 2017 religious dates, then a page with 2017 and 2018 religious dates, and finally two pages of 2014-2015 religious dates.

Again sorry :o

RS

It is laid out in a dumb way. I imagine it only lists the major Christian holidays as well as federal holidays because they're the ones that are also going to be school holidays that all units, Christian or not, will need to grapple with (every unit I know of doesn't meet on school holidays)

In the bigger sense (where my "grow up" was placed, not just to you, sorry), I'm simply tired of every person with any quirk turning it into victimhood for themselves, or of people without any quirk white-knighting for no reason.

It is laid out in a dumb way. I imagine it only lists the major Christian holidays as well as federal holidays because they're the ones that are also going to be school holidays that all units, Christian or not, will need to grapple with (every unit I know of doesn't meet on school holidays)

We have planned events over Christmas break when school is out of session, although never on Christmas eve or day.

Our troop often meets when school's out. We meet at a Catholic Church, and respect all days of observance for the charter org, choosing not to meet on those dates. As far as school holidays, they're optional meeting nights, if there are at least two scouts and two leaders who will attend, we have a meeting.

With regret nearly all schools in the area are on a balanced calendar now, and we've found the seasonal breaks are ideal for events, as are extended weekends, such as Memorial Day, and Labor Day.

Our crew meets on Sundays, between services, and has found this also works well. The members now attend more services as well; they're already at the church after all.

My point is non-traditional solutions are worth exploring.

God' date=' grow up. The index in the back of the calendar includes all holidays from Judaism, Ba'hai, Hinduism, Zoroastrianism (for all 5 people in the US that are Zoroastrians), Sikhism, Jainism (for all 3 Jainists) and a ton from Christianity which aren't marked on the calendar pages themselves, either.[/quote']

Just in my area here in Silicon Valley in California, we have a Zoroastrian Temple, a Jainist center, a couple of Sikh temples, plus Ba'hai, Hindu, Buddhist religious centers and several mosques (and my local council has or has had scouts from each of these faith traditions). So there are considerably more than 5 Zoroastrians and 3 Jainists in the nation. In my pack alone, we have or have had scouts that are Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu and Buddhist. We can't have a pack BBQ without veggieburgers.

While I believe you didn't intend any insult, the dismisive tone of comments like: "for all 5 people in the US that are Zoroastrians" could be hurtful and is unnecessary.

• Upvote 1