Dave where do you find the time?

Dave,

I've been around the forums for a short time. I'm just curious where you find the time to post so many messages. Perhaps things are a little different in the Central Region (I'm in the Southern), but down here we are under an intense amount of pressure to perform. I don't understand how you can pay as close attention to these forums as it would appear that you do.

I don't mean to be cruel, but perhaps you should be spending this time working with your DE's to raise more money, so that the Council wouldn't have to cut your position.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should being a professional scouter indicate less free time than any other profession? Go through the career thread again and see if there are any other people that you should say "Get back to work!!" too. I would wager that Dave spends more of his free time on work related pursuits than nearly anyone else here. What is your job, Commandpro, and how much time to you spend at it?

Happy New Year -- Fire in the hole!!!!

WOW! Where the heck did that come from?

Commandopro, I don't know what your intentions were with this thread, but it sure comes off sounding like a broadside attack. Adrianvs put it very well, but regardless of the validity of your question it would have been better off in a private message. Instead it appears to be a cheap shot to embarass someone publicly.

WOW (again)!

While I know that Dave can speak for himself.

I agree with ManyIrons.

While it might be ok to be rude where you hail from I happen to think that this was uncalled for, unnecessary and not Scout like.

Dave has gone a long way to help improve the image of the professional Scouter which I'm sad to say is not all that it could be in certain councils.

I would hope that on reflection you see how far out of order you are and offer an apology.

Eamonn

I agree that it is a cheap shot.

I know that many councils throughout the nation are cutting back because of lower giving as are many other non-profits.

What Dave's does on his own time is own business.

I thank Dave for the time he spends here as he gives us information that we as volunteers do not have access.

Thanks Dave and I know you will find a new position in scouting.

That did sound cruel though, and Dave has often stated that his books are in the office, that he'll reply then. He has been kind, helpful, thoughtful. He has given a "feel" for the pro side of Scouting, and quite frankly, I had trouble liking pros until I read Dave's messages. They made me really examine what the pros do, and how we are not "us and them" but rather all work together. This post sounded devisive and took what appears to be a cheap shot at someone who did nothing to deserve it. Dave is a man, that though I have never met him, is consistent in his support of and belief in the BSA as the single best organization anyone could belong to, and every indication is that he works hard to do a good job. I'm stunned at the post originating this thread and rather saddened.

Dave, look at your support and write the original post off as a nut, I know I will.

commandopro, if you get down this far, we have enough crotchetey, meddling, disruptive and just plain mean and ignorant posters already, we dont need any more

It appears that commandopro might be "Professional" Scouter.

Sounds like he's one of "those" that only cares about the almighty dollar instead, of serving the youth and volunteers.

I wish you well on your FOS, with that type of attitude you'll need it.

(This message has been edited by purcelce)

WOW is right. OGE, your last comment is even more agressive than the infamous " book thumping" thing. Hope it doesn't start an online riot.

I for one as a volunteer scouter will say that if DSteele is spending work time on these forums, I consider it one of the most productive uses of his time, and am thrilled if any of my registration and FOS money goes to support it. I assume though that much of his posts are on "his" time, whenever that is.

I will confess, that I spend entirely too much time on this forum and end up having to work later to make up for the time I do spend here.

SA

Around here, the law requires that smokers be given smoke breaks to go outside to smoke. The non-smokers were offended so they started taking "smoke breaks" as well. By unwritten agreement, this practice is allowed because the smokers don't want their breaks to vanish. Maybe Dave is posting on his smoke breaks.

BTW, you're not allowed to be mean and nasty around here, Bob White and I have that job.

Back in the mid 80's in Germany, my platoon sergeant and I had to go up to the Kaserne at Swabisch Gmuend for a meeting. Outside the front gate there were 40-50 people, from E-1 to 0-3, clustered off to the side of the gate milling around puffing away. There was a continous stream of 5-10 joining the cloudy cluster and leaving the cluster. The Task Force Commander banned smoking on post. The NCO club immediately went out of business and the owners of the bars outside the gates were ordering a new Mercedes. The troops in the barracks had to walk outside the mani gate to have a smoke, so their was a cluster even at 2:00 am. When I first enlisted there were no non-smokers. By the time I got out, I was one of the few smokers and marathon running and 10K races were becoming popular sporting events. I quit six years ago, when my kids were born, I guess that's what it took for me. I tried to quit often while in the army, always on a Monday and my squad would instantly know I was trying again, my disposition gave me away. They would light one and hand it to me, I could pass once or twice but, within the hour, I'd always take one. Rambling over.

In coming!!!

Wow, welcome to the place you wouldn't send your own Mother or sister. This site is known as "Little Nam" and could be hazardous to your self esteem.

Tread carefully or get your pride booted so far down your neck hole that you won't mumble a word for weeks.

Retreat while you still can. We let people off the first time when going in-country but from then on, they are on their own.

Dan has high speed service and has been a writer for years. He can write more in ten minutes than you can with two secretaries strapped to your lap, plus he has a brain, something you may want to know more about. FB