Fundraising with a Fireworks Tent?

I see alot of Fireworks tents each summer around town sponsored by local Scout troops. In fact my neighbors troop raises about $15k each summer from thier tent. He says the parents club actually does the sale and then they transfer the money to the scout troop when needed. But their sign says boy scout troop *** and they park thier trailer out front. He says this parent's club has a balance of $35k to $50k in to help out with troop expenses.

Our troop runs about 6 different fundraisers and we have just a few thousand dollars. Our troop is located in a adjacent city where Fireworks we just approved by the city council. I though what a great way to solve this problem but upon further review it may not be possible. Some one in our troop says we can't sell Fireworks and based on BSA website he is right.

Quote from the website

"Fireworks

The Boy Scouts of America prohibits the securing, use, and display of fireworks in conjunction with programs and activities except where the fireworks display is conducted under the auspices of a certified or licensed fireworks control expert.

Local councils may not authorize any group or chartered unit activity for or on behalf of its members, units, or district to sell fireworks as a fund-raising or money-earning activity."

How many troops are just saying "screw it" and are selling anyway?

Any way around this rule?

Apparently one way around the rule is to say "screw it" and do it anyway.

People who want to follow the rules will, those who don't won't.

I suppose I could sell crack or run a brothel and then donate the money to the troop. But if I call it a troop fundraiser and park the troop trailer out front, I think that's over the line. Whether or not the "parents' club" is maintaining sufficient distance between themselves and the troop is a call the Scout Executive ultimately gets to make.

LOL

This is sad, and the example set is not accurate

There is the argument that our Nation has always celebrated events with fireworks.

Our Council forbids this because fireworks do cause the most injury to people, never mind kids. Think of the litigation from an accident where the scouts sold the mortar that started a forest fire and burned down half the town.

Just because someone is doing something wrong doesn't make it right, not matter how profitable it is. Does this mean we should rob banks?

As twocubdad says what does the SE say?

Mr Brown,

If I see a Pack, Troop or Crew in our Council with a fireworks tent, I will call my District Director the next business day. Period.

A certain Missouri legislator, when he first ran for office, used our Councils CSP, the Tribe's claws, and Tamegonit's coup thong in his brochure, implying Council sanctioned his election to me. I had no problem calling a certain senior manager in our Professional staff.

My faithful brother in the Tribe, how do we honor our Four Heart's Resolutions by bypassing clear and unequivocal guidance?

The parents of that troop should be asked, point-blank, whether they'd allow their Scouts to purchase the fireworks they're selling and use them on a camping trip.

"Local councils may not authorize any group or chartered unit activity for or on behalf of its members..." - CLEARLY states that groups such as "parent organizations" may not sell fireworks and then transfer the money to the unit.

It'd be like the PTA selling beer and giving the money to the school's driver's education program. The end does not justify the means.

I can't imagine any CO being willing to assume that kind of liability, whether the BSA allowed it, or not. In my neck of the woods, use or possession of fireworks is illegal, so it's a moot point. Of course, on the 4th, you'd never know it. What can you do? Figure out what the right thing is and do that.

I understand that having a Fireworks tent is not an option. I was curious how other troops are able to pull it off. I appreciate the gentleman in our troop who brought this rule to our attention. We were ready to make a run at it until he spoke up.

But I am curious John, what does your district say when you call? And also, what do they do to a troop that is not adhearing to this rule.

Shortridge, love the PTA analogy. I use analogies and that has to be one of the best.

Thanks for the input everyone. We will stick with our other fundraisers but look for something that else that is approved and may perform better.

How do other troops pull it off? They are probably not filling out the "Unit Money Earning Application" and getting permission. And if their annual FOS donation is hefty, everyone looks the other way. Why don't you ask your neighbor...in a friendly, nonthreatening way..."how do you guys get Council permission to do that?" Since it's a "parents club" (are they the CO of the troop?), they probably don't think they are bound by BSA policy.

Say the CO is a parish KofC and they hold a fair with rides, food vendors and beer and bingo tents. There are raffles sold by the troop parents (who are also members of the parish) and of course a 50/50 drawing every hour. They ask the troop to help in exchange for $$. In uniform the troop polices the grounds and helps with parking. At the end, the KofC and the parish committee divide the proceeds among various areas, including back to the KoC who buys tents a trailer and stoves for its troop. Then whats the problem?

Its none of the BSAs business how a CO collects it money.

I suspect the parents here are conducting a similar thing but have the poor judgment to place a troop banner nearby.

The BSA charter is granted by the consent of the CO. The BSA is to provide the youth program and the support services not dictate what can happen in the CO.

My chartered Partner annually has a fireworks tent. My DD at the time (he's since left) told the Partner they could not mention Scouting in any way shape or form on the sign.

My current DD is stand-up, he takes the info to the right DE. In our District, we don't go there.

Mr Hardy,

From the Charter Agreement:

"Conduct the Scouting program according to its own policies and guidelines as well as those of the Boy Scouts of America."

BSA has the right to protect its brand name from misuse.

Keeping with the church fair example. Youre telling me that BSA would NOT want uniformed Scouts helping out with a parish fund raiser?

This is confusing. So here we have a parish that basically owns the troop. They have to go to the Council Exec to ask if the boys in their own youth program can wear the uniform when supporting a parish event?

I knew some priests that wouldnt put up with that in a NY minute.

The scouts are performing a service project for the CO. They are not fundraising for the CO in uniform(a prohibited activity). I think the key is whether or not the scouts are "paid" for their work at the fair, such as, "if the troop does this, they will get a X% split of the profits". But if the fair raises funds for the mission work of the parish and the parish coincidentally budgets X dollars annually for their youth programs (e.g, not a quid pro quo), then that's ok.

Clear as mud?