So What if Girls joined, The changes to the BSA

>

Hello Basement,

So how about organizing a Girl Scout or AHG unit right along with your Cub Scout Pack?

That really seems like a natural to me, and since AHG has chartered organizations like BSA that suggests you could have two units chartered with a common committee organization and Chartered Organization.

It seems to me that a lot of Cub Packs in particular would be hospitable to support a unit for girls in addition to the Cub Scout program.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pushing my buttons aren't ya.....

Hell will freeze over before I support AHG. Those I serve are more than just Christians.

We are working on a Baden Powell Group.....Just trying to recruit some decent leadership.....We have enough interested girls......

Nike: "If you think your daughter's Girl Scouts troop sucks, then get in there and HELP!"

If only it were so easy. I book all the events for the pack, have offered to book the same events on different days for them, "no thanks".

We own three amusement park size bounce houses. just show my workers where to set them up, where to plug them in and tell them when to come back to pack them up and haul away... "No thanks"

Lend you the boyscout tents and equipment, "No thanks"

Lead a song? Show a movie? Dutch oven cooking? "No thanks","No thanks","No thanks".

Their not very active, but they sure are polite.

Hello Wingnut,

Your experience suggests that my inclination to have a Girl Scout or American Heritage Girl unit chartered by the same group as the Cub Pack and run by a common committee might avoid the kind of problem you describe.

Does that sound like something you think would be worth trying?

SP:

Tell the truth, I can't even get in deep enough to find out what a GSUSA unit is and how it should be run or even what their leaders book is called so I can read up on them. I must be doing the secret handshake wrong.

Off the original topic... we may have found a more receptive troop for my daughter.

On the original topic... Would opening the program to girls bring this problem to our door? Would we be accused of not wanting to be inclusive if we insisted on camping and outings?

Hello Wingnut,

I have heard frequent complaints of hostility towards men from Girl Scouts. They seem to be inclusive towards lesbians but not fathers, and not towards other men.

That's not the program that would fit in with my Cub Pack, which is part of my interest in American Heritage Girls, which doesn't seem to have that as an issue.

I'll note in passing that I'm really not interested in railing against GSUSA not being "inclusive" with respect to men. Girl Scout is welcome to persevere with it's program.

I would simply look for another program that meets the needs and interests of my Cub Pack and use that as a program for girls. American Heritage Girls sounds like it would be a good match.

Basementdweller, Those words from the GS leader touched a nerve in me. It's almost the same reaction I've gotten from nearly all women. Women just don't like me and I've become accustomed to that, sigh. Not too many men either (that's easier to take). But it's situations like you described that remind me of how much I appreciate my wife who is exceptional, at least in this respect.

Ya know Pack, I could give a rats behind what she thinks of me or how she treats me......Well what I was doin wasn't about me......Fine example she set for my daughter.

I have been treated that way by other BSA Scouters.....but those are district folks who I understand couldn't soil their hand by shaking mine.

Did I tell ya about the GSA Troop that would not let her visit until she filled out an application?????? At the end of the night handed it back to me to tell me she was too old for their troop.....

Thanks, NJ. I credit that to a Hebrew ancestor a few generations back, so I can't be ALL bad. Moreover he must have been a great guy. All of my ancestors since then were Presbyterians.

Edit to add: I'm not blaming the Presbyterians for the fact that women don't like me. That's because of something very different.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)