Scouter Using Position in CA Voter Guide

It is improper for a volunteer to use the name of scouting to support politial issues or a specific party or candidate.

Including himself? Meaning, is it really "improper" for a candidate to put in his own campaign bio that he is a Scouter, including position and unit? Or, for example, that he is certified by the BSA as a Youth Protection facilitator? (Just as a random hypothetical, of course.) If this is the case, I'd really (really) like to know exactly where it says that. The reason for my great personal interest in this is mentioned above. Plus, other people do this all the time, and I see nothing wrong with including this type of factual information about yourself in your own campaign bio.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We will likley never know because it would be a confidential matter and wopuld probably not be publicized."

*If* this is the case, I'd hope the council would in fact make it a public matter. It's not a personnel issue, since the person in question isn't an employee. He's a high-ranking volunteer, and as such sets an example for many other volunteers.

Were his actions in line with BSA or council policy? If the council keeps any hypothetical action quiet, no one will know, and other volunteers may feel it's OK to follow his example. (Which may or may not be a bad example, of course. Opinions seem divided here.)

But again, this is all hypothetical. Anyone here from this gentleman's council and know some of the details?

Saying that you volunteer in the BSA as part of a bio is a far cry from speaking on a political issue using your title and position in the BSA as your position of authority.

This is no different than wearing your uniform to a polical rally in support of an issue. You as a volunteer do not have the leagal authority to lend or suggest the supporty or endorsement of the BSA to anything.

This is no different than wearing your uniform to a polical rally in support of an issue. You as a volunteer do not have the leagal authority to lend or suggest the supporty or endorsement of the BSA to anything.

BobWhite says:

Saying that you volunteer in the BSA as part of a bio is a far cry from speaking on a political issue using your title and position in the BSA as your position of authority.

I know it's a far cry. That's what I suggested (perhaps too gently) almost at the beginning of this thread. I agree that what the guy did in California seems inappropriate. What I was asking (based on your post, which I thought was somewhat ambiguous) was whether the "hypothetical" situation that I described was also inappropriate. One thing can be a far cry from another thing and both still be inappropriate (or appropriate.) In this case I think one (the California guy) is inappropriate and other (me, let's say) was acceptable, at least. I was asking whether you disagree.

As I stated previously, I have no problem with this guy authoring the statement. My beef is with the "description" he used for himself in the very short bio space.

I will reprint the signature line from the political statement ver batim and let others decide if its a misuse of his position:

Dr. Jane Anderson M.D. - Fellow American College of Pediatricians

Robert Bolingbroke - Council Commissioner San Diego-Imperial Council, Boy Scouts of America

Jaralee Smith - Director of Education/California Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays and Gays (PFOX)

My issue is that he could use a LOT of different titles to describe himself in this extremely short bio. He chose to use his volunteer position within BSA. Why?

I wonder how the council would react if I had authored an opinion piece in favor of rounding up all the illegal imigrants in SD county and swiftly kicking them all 35 miles south of our city? Then I ended my political "opinion" (one that would show up in EVERY Califonian's mailbox) with the statement: DeanRx - Cubmaster Pack XXX, Boy Scouts of America.

I seriously doubt I'd be in my scouting position much longer. And BSA doesn't even HAVE a plicy stance on illegal immigration, unlike their policy on homosexuality or atheism.

I has been hesitent to call the CE on this issue, but think I might place a call next week. Just to inquire.

I've thought about a run for local city office, or school board. Can one place their BSA volunteer time in your bio when running for office? I'd say yes. In fact, in my same voter info book, a guy running for my children's school board (from an adjacent pack), listed his BSA service in his bio (along with about 10 other civic things he's been involved with).

To me - doing this as a candidate for office is an ENTIRELY different thing than writing a position statement for a Prop and then attaching just ONE of your affiliations to your name.

Seems the intent in the first example would be to show the public what you as a candidate has contributed to the community and thus your expirience for the job you are seeking.

The intent in the second example would be to convey an ENDORSEMENT of the stated position by the organization you have listed by your name. In that case - I would sincerely hope the author would have gotten prior authorization from the organization before linking them to a political hot button issue. If not, its not unreasonable to expect that you'd be in trouble with said organization.

Like BobWhite stated - even IF corrective action was to be taken, I doubt it'd be done in a public manner. Most companies (yes BSA is a company), would try and take care of these things as quietly as possible and hope it goes away.

Understand that Bolingbroke did not use scouting as his bio in this case. He used it as a title on his signature. Big difference. By using it as a signature rather than as bio element he is in essence saying that Scouting, through him, endorses the content of the petition. That is an improper use of his office.

BobWhite and DeanRx are right. And thanks Dean for the verbatim quote, it does clarify the situation. What California-commissioner-guy did definitely seems like a misuse of his title and the name of Scouting. On the other hand, Dean, there is no problem with mentioning your Scouting affiliation in your candidate bio if you run. You may want to re-read the previous posts in this thread, this specific subject has already been discussed and resolved. Someone (*looking around*) even gave a real-world example of when he did it when running for school board. Come to think of it, one of his opponents in one election identified himself as an Eagle Scout with a local troop. Eagle Scout beat Troop Committee Member in that case, but neither violated any rules.

Understand that Bolingbroke did not use scouting as his bio in this case. He used it as a title on his signature. Big difference. By using it as a signature rather than as bio element he is in essence saying that Scouting, through him, endorses the content of the petition. That is an improper use of his office.

Hogwash!

Another interpretation that is incorrect! There is a good possibility this guy is retired & being a commissioner in the BSA is his "work". Nothing wrong here!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

What we didn't know at the time was when he responded what titles he used, and who shortened it to what you see.

I asked in the feedback and got an email that said

" While many people responded to the propositions, only a few were published. As to titles, we shortened everyones title to one sentence that we thought were significant."

So that is why he is listed that way. I am sure he other things by his name than Council Commish. Someone else choose to list it that way.

I just read this and I cant sit back on this one. I will be calling the national office.

this was a HUGE political issue in San Diego with regard to the land they use in San Diego.

here is the wikipedia summary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnes-Wallace_v._Boy_Scouts_of_America

I just think that it takes balls to flaunt this after this fight.

Voting is a very personal choice based on your core beliefs. Being in the San Diego Council I have SERIOUS issues with this choice. It makes it appear that the scouts as a GROUP have this position, and no one speaks for me but me.

When people ask me to sign ballots in front of super markets I always say NO as I do not sign anything I cannot read about and research pro's and con's. Because I want to make sure the issue corresponds to my core beliefs.

this just adds to my perception of our council as very unprofessional overall.

Go ahead and call national, but probably more importantly, call your Scout Executive and your council president too. They're the ones who have any real influence at your council level. National doesn't, in most cases (or anyway that's my understanding)

This is the number I found fyi for anyone who also feels strongly about this:

BSA legal concerns: 972-580-2000

I would think they would be interested again in light of the legal issue here in SD with the lease.

What is interesting is that it appears that this individual was originally in the San Francisco area council so I am unclear other than the fact that he lives in Rancho Santa Fe (which is the Beverly Hills of San Diego County).