Scouter Using Position in CA Voter Guide

This sorta reminds me of the Coke commercial where the guys want to sue another division in their company for making an "eerily similar" product! Let's put on our lawyer pants and walk down that road!

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I happen to know both the person being discussed,the author of the article in the San Diego Reader,and the paper's owner/editor.

Yes,Bob Bolinbroke is a retired president of the Clorox Company,who lives in Rancho Santa Fe,an exclusive community in coastal San Diego County.I believe when he was previously in the Bay area he was president of the BSA council up there.Before serving as our council commissioner he served as our council president.Both positions are volunteer.I have served with Bob on our local board,and he is an effective and popular leader.He also has been interested in the day to day operation of the council,once spending most of a day attending a small training that my program offered to represent the council leadership.

Though I don't recall discussing politics with Bob,since it wasn't relevant to our Scouting functions,as a prominent retired executive,and leader in the LDS Church,I'm not surprised at his stand on Prop 8,or his listing in the voter's guide.Knowing his background I'd guess that he obtained advice from our council staff before including his BSA position in his statement for the voter's guide.

The San Diego Reader is an alternative weekly newspaper.It is distributed free,and largely supported by ads.Although it has a reputation as a liberal publication,its editor Jim Holman has some conservative views on subjects such as abortion and gay marriage.I know from my contact with him in a previous employment that he has been a generous,and sometimes anonymous,contributor to organizations with which he agrees.The author of the article about the proposition,Matt Potter,began as an occasional contributor,and is now the number two person in the paper's newsroom.

I don't know if anyone said this already, but I was looking over it. Here is something that may have happened

He may have been interviewed. During that interview they asked questions like his opinion, and somewhere down the line asked him who he worked for, or he may have made a scouting shirt on. If the reporter saw that there was a connection, then they will exploit it. Especially on this issue. Make good press. I am not saying that all reporters are like that, but most of the ones that I have dealt with seem to think this way.

sdcc57- You sound like the man "in the know". I sent a PM to you on this subject and look forward to your reply. As a CM in your council, I would hope Mr. Bolinbroke had permission to place his BSA title in the CA voter guide. You don't state that in your post.

I agree with the position. I support Mr. Bolinbroke's right to author a position statement for whomever or whatever Prop he may be inclined to support. However, I do NOT support him doing so under the guise of endorsement from the SDIC council or BSA.

Frankly, because of the trouble in recent years (decades) with the 9th circuit and the lawsuits regarding public land access for BSA, in particular your own council building in Balboa - WHY on earth would council (let alone national) allow someone with Mr. Bolinbroke's stature to throw fuel on the fire in such a direct manner?

I'm sure he's a good man, and gives generously in both time and money to BSA. However, suppose he had wanted to author a position for the opposition of Prop 8? Not only would I expect he'd no longer be welcome in the LDS, but in scouting as well!

Seems to me - unbeknown to the masses - the SDIC BSA has become a political action committee. I will have to think long and hard before I participate in FOS this year. Thought we were to be apolitical while in uniform... thats what national web site states.

I do / did support Prop 8. Marriage should be between a man and a woman. I do not think a homosexual lifestyle is conducive with scouting.

However, I do not support BSA or the council I reside in taking a controversial stance on the 2nd most hotly contested item nationwide (behind the Presidential Election). Prop 8 is / was not a scouting issue. Can you imagine the uproar if BSA (on a national level) were to endorse either candidate for President? Yet, there's nothing wrong with a high profile (volunteer) leader using their considerable clout to jump behind a Prop and then use their title while endorsing it?

By allowing Mr. Bolinbroke to use his BSA affiliation, the SDIC council did endorse (de facto) his stance on Prop 8. Otherwise the council didn't know about it (doubtful), or they supported him using it. Which is it?

I'd be interested to know:

1) Did he have permission ?

2) If not - has there been any discussion of corrective action ?

3) Does his time in service, monetary donations, connections run so deep that he is immune from repremaind for making political statements while "in uniform" (via title posted). ?

As a parent / leader / donator in your council, I'd be extremely interested to know the answer to those questions...

Looking forward to your reply...

YiS,

DeanRx

I'm afraid I can't answer the questions listed in the previous message.

1.I don't know whether Mr Bolingbroke had permission to include his BSA position in his statement submitted for the voter's pamphlet.As I'd mentioned,I'd guess that Bob would have checked with someone at the council/region/national office.I could inquire,though he might not choose to reply.

2.Since I no longer serve on the council's board I don't know whether it's been officially discussed there.This leads me to learn if they have,since I'd expect the subject was brought up.

3.I have no reason to believe that he is immune from criticism concerning his actions in this regard.