Coming to a school near you on April 25 - "day of silence"

Since our kids are well beyond school age, we miss a lot of this sort of thing. Apparently this is an event intended to promote homosexuality among school age children happening this week. Anybody hear of this one?

So how are teachers supposed to conduct class on this day of silence? Does the principal skip any announcements over the PA?

I guess the choir, drama club and speech-debate clubs can take the day off. And tell those coaches to keep it down over there . . .

Thanks for the link, Ed. I hadn't heard about this. From the info on the website, the idea is not to "promote homosexuality among school age children" (as eisely puts it), but to "bring attention to the name-calling, bullying and harassment ... experienced by LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) students and their allies."

Since bullying is always a bad thing, I guess this attempt to raise consciousness among people is a good thing.

In February of this year, there were 5 stories that hit the national press of young (under 25) people killed for their sexuality and/or gender expression. The most shocking of these was Lawrence King, a 15-year-old who was shot in the head at school by a 16-year-old classmate because he wore feminine clothing and makeup. And those five are just the ones that got national media attention.

That is what Day of Silence is about.