Dad crusades against God in school

And by trying to eliminate a Bible Club that meets at the school id violating the rights of those who want to attend the Bible Club. If someone tried the same thing with an Atheist Club, you would be screaming all the way to the Supreme Court, Merlyn!(This message has been edited by evmori)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed, you'll have to point out where anyone is trying to eliminate such a club; Croft complained about school officials promoting the club, and his lawsuit is only about the moment of silence, not clubs. Not even a very good attempt at a red herring argument, Ed.

Just to amend my earlier post, a really exhaustive course on the periodic table of the elements would mention a few gods in passing, like Tellus, Pallus, Selene, Thor, Helios, etc.

Sept. 18, 2003: Mr. Croft asks the school board to stop allowing the Cub Scouts to hold recruiting rallies during school because the group excludes atheists. He also complains about a flier his 8-year-old daughter received about Good News Bible Club meetings after school.

Nothing violated here. Mr. Croft was just offended. There is no guarantee you won't be offended!

It seems like this sad little man is crying wolf about everything & to shut him up, the school board is kowtowing to him! Typical radical behavior with typical results!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

The rallies and fliers stopped, and in some cases the songs were removed or altered, angering other parents.

I read fine Merlyn. Terrorist tactics! Attack everything you don't like! As long as other clubs are allowed to send home fliers (and they probably are) the Bible Club should be allowed. But not allowing them, their right are being infringed upon.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

I wish I could express myself better, as I don't think what I am trying to communcate is comming across so rather than continue, I will just change the subject, well at least add another variant into the discussion and I will need Merlyn to help.

I recently heard about a public school in San Diego that has time set aside for Islamic students to pray and the school has a program either promoting Islam or at least making information about Islam available to other students, during school time. Now, I heard this on a conservative talk show while radio surfing so I dont know how much credence to give this, but what have you guys heard about this? I think the issue was that moslems were getting the time to pray while christians could not. Again, I admit my source is suspect, I would like to know the truth.

Yes, I've heard about this. Yes, I think right-wing radio talk shows are about the worst place to get accurate information about anything to do with religion. No, I don't think any of this has anything to do with scouting issues, and Fred seemed to only post the original article because it mentions scouts and because he seems threatened by atheists who advocate for their rights.

Merlyn,

My comment was addressed to OGE.

Trevorum,

I guess I didn't see it that way.

OGE,

I heard something about that just the other day. It's not that schools are mearly allowing moslem (sp) to pray according to their faith, but that the schools are bending over backwards to make it happen. The school in particular actually sets aside time and a special place for them to pray. Hmmm, we could call that a chapel, couldn't we?

If moslems get a chapel, Christians should be able to have one too, at tax payer expense. But ohh nooo, we can't do that, someone might get ofended. Guess what OGE, I'm offended, that tax payer dollars can pay for a moslem to pray, but my kids can't.

IF public money has been used to provide a praying spot for followers of Islam, and a Christian Group also wished a praying spot for those students, would not the ACLU be the people to contact?

or to take the prayer spot away from the followers of Islam?

Please understand, I do not detract from Islam,I respect it as a faith I just want to understand what is going on

OGE,

My guess is that a special accomodation has been made for students whose faith requires that certain rituals be performed during the school day. My guess is that a special place - probably an unused room - has been designated for use by these students at certain specified times. I wouldn't call that a chapel, but I can see how it might acquire that label.

As far as I know, Islam is the only major faith that requires such rituals at pre-determined times during the school day. If a Christian denomination (or any other faith) could demonstrate that their faith has a similar requirement of similarly long standing precedent, I'll bet the school board would be equally accomodating.

(But again, that's just my guess.)

If the Muslim parents of these children wish to pull them out of classes to go to prayer every day, I don't have a problem with it. They can even use a vacant room. If the school sets aside class time exclusively for these children to go to prayer, then I do.

See why I don't want to argue about this? All of you have opinions, none of you seem to have made much effort to get actual information.

The ACLU of San Diego has quite a bit about this, it's right on their front page. There are also a number of wildly contradictory stories about the whole situation.

From July 12:

http://www.aclusandiego.org/news_item.php?article_id=000273

From August 3:

http://www.aclusandiego.org/news_item.php?article_id=000286

Like Harlan Ellison said, everybody's entitled to an INFORMED opinion.

PS: Gonzo1, I don't care who you were addressing, your statement was ludicrous. And you seem to approve of the Russian Orthodox Church's efforts to get their god into government schools in Russia -- I prefer religious freedom instead of having state schools impose some official religion.