They're actually listening

Wow. Just got off the phone with a Scoutmaster friend of mine. He said he was out in the garage when his phone rang and a woman from town said something about "one of his scouts and her son was injured". He told her to hold on and let him switch phones so he could hear better. So he headed inside and was thing, "darn, what happened now? with nothing but doom and gloom in his mind." He got to a better phone inside his house, and the lady said, "No, I don't think you understand what I'm trying to tell you." The lady told him that her son, one of his 14 year old Scouts, and two others were playing in the woods when her son fell. Her son ripped a nasty gash in his leg and the bleeding was heavy. The two other boys started jumping up and down doing the panic dance, but his scout immediately ripped off his shirt and formed a pressure bandage, had the other two calm down, and try 911. The were in the bottom of a steep ravine and couldn't get a signal. He then told the two to find two branches for a stretcher. The bleeding wouldn't stop, so he used his belt which slowed it to a trickle. They hauled the stretcher to the top of the ravine, called 911 and covered him with the other two boys shirts. At the hospital the emergency room doc was unsure if they could save his leg, so a surgeon was rushed in. After surgery, the surgeon came out to talk to the family and asked who did the first aid? They said Johnny. The doctor said he was able to save the leg, but there is absolutely No Doubt in his mind, that Johnny saved his life. My buddy was amazed, he is an EMT and safety engineer, so first aid is a constant theme of their troop, but he said he was always telling Johnny to settle down, pay attention, and listen. He didn't think Johnny was listening. He must have been listening more than he knew.

Wow, TP, that is a great story, thanks. I guess we all hope that all of our own little Johnnies (both sons and other Scouts) and, lets face it, ourselves, would be able to do the same thing in that situation. And being able to it means not only having the knowledge to do it, but also overcoming the urge to panic, remember skills in a crisis situation, and actually DO it. The injured young man is so fortunate that Scouting enabled his friend to do what he did.

Thanks for sharing, I had a boy in my troop save his brothers life doing the Heimlich manuver. I felt the same thing, he must have been listening more than I realized. The boy in my troop recieved the Medal of Merit, definately see that this fine young man gets nominated for it.