Top Posters In This Topic

Spring (March, April, & May) 51 degrees

Summer (June, July, & August) 74 degrees

Fall (September, October, & November) 54 degrees

Winter (December, January, & February) 24 degrees

Average snowfall total is 31.5

Winter average 24 = 48-24 = 24

you will see below zero temps

Most part of Iowa are in a moderate drought right now, so they are hoping for more snow to help the watershed.

andrewcanoe

yes driving on I80 watching or should I say doging the semi trucks is breathtaking!

Only pulling your leg! The truck traffic is very heavy the first 50 miles, than it tapers down.

World largest truckstop is on I80 in Walcot Iowa about 1 hour west of the Illinois border. This truckstop has movie theartes in it! I stop there for gas and a malt from DQ, on my way home from Iowa City.

It's looking like my job will have me thinking outdoors, at least part of the time. So I should definately be packing my long underwear and wool socks.

You all are great! I am really excited to head out there with all this Iowa talk, and to think, I had been sad that I wasnt heading to New Hampshire.

Iowans, anything interesting you can tell me about your Presidential Caucuses? I mean, I understand the basic concept of them, but any insider info you have to share?

My Favorite Iowa song in the whole wide world:

Townspeople:

Oh, there's nothing halfway

About the Iowa way to treat you,

When we treat you

Which we may not do at all.

There's an Iowa kind of special

Chip-on-the-shoulder attitude.

We've never been without.

That we recall.

We can be cold

As our falling thermometers in December

If you ask about our weather in July.

And we're so by God stubborn

We could stand touchin' noses

For a week at a time

And never see eye-to-eye.

But what the heck, you're welcome,

Join us at the picnic.

You can eat your fill

Of all the food you bring yourself.

You really ought to give Iowa a try.

Provided you are contrary,

We can be cold

As our falling thermometer in December

If you ask about our weather in July.

And we're so by God stubborn

We can stand touchin' noses

For a week at a time

And never see eye-to-eye.

But we'll give you our shirt

And a back to go with it

If your crops should happen to die.

Farmer:

So, what the heck, you're welcome,

Glad to have you with us.

Farmer and Wife:

Even though we may not ever mention it again.

Townspeople:

You really ought to give Iowa

Hawkeye Iowa

Dubuque, Des

Moines, Davenport, Marshalltown,

Mason City, Keokuk, Ames,

Clear Lake

Ought to give Iowa a try!

scoutingagain made reference to Field of Dreams, a movie based in Iowa. The baseball stuff is great, but whoever wrote the thing knew nothing about farming or farm life. Another Iowa movie, which I liked much better, is The Straight Story, which is a true story. Alvin Straight was elderly and infirm and could not drive himself across Iowa to visit his brother's deathbed. So he rode a John Deere lawnmower. Lovely scenery and a lovely story. Not for kids, though. There's nothing objectionable, but it's a very slow movie. There's nothing speedy about crossing a state on a lawnmower. This was Richard Farnworth's last movie, and he is great as Alvin.

OGE needs to cut an album. Or ten!

OGE:

Ya can talk, ya can talk, ya can bicker, you can talk, you can talk, talk, talk, bicker, bicker, bicker. . .

Ya can talk all you want to, but it's different than it was . . .

We can't steal lyrics without giving credit to the source ;)

We're stealing from The Music Man.

DS

Aw, I love when OGE bursts into song! Isnt he the best? Definately needs to come out with Songs of the Old Grey Eagle.

Got a phone call from my boss in Iowa. All systems are a go. Not sure on a depature date, but my accomadations and all of my work stuff has been confirmed. WAHOO! IOWA HERE I COME!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All!

I know its been quiet from my end of the world for awhile and there's still two weeks of not much talk from Outdoorthinker. I got a free minute and wanted to say hello. I hope you havent had too much Venture talk since I've been inactive.

I am safe and sound and working harder than I have before (including last summer) here in Iowa. For all of you Iowans, do me a favor, please please please please be nice to all of those political callers you get trying to get you out to the caucus. I am spending an average of 12 hours straight on the phone and working an additional 5 hours with data entry and meetings and such. One of the those callers may be me, Outdoorthinker, ASM, Venture Crew member and camp staffer.

Anyway, I miss the forum LOTS. Cant wait to get back to my regular posting!

Outdoor,

It has been kind of quiet without you.

Any chance you want to let us know for whom you are working?

Are you learning much? I'd be very curious to hear your impressions of the process now that you've been exposed to it so intensely.

Can't wait to hear more from you.

Mark

hey if you guys think its quiet in the forum without OT, you should consider what its like here...

Lets, see, for whom is OT working? I will leave that up to her to reveal if she so wishes, but as an genuine, committed idealistic college student, well...

OT, your serve