OK, politics seems to have been forgotten so I predict:

The felines will devour the patriots, pausing only occasionally to cough up a wayward feather.

Back to topic: I voted for Nixon (twice), Ford, Dole, and Bush (the first). Today I support any Dem who gets the nomination over our coke-snorting, drunk-driving, budget-busting liar who only won the election in the Supreme Court.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentlemen, gentlemen, I leave my thread alone for a few weeks and it becomes a place of football talk? Come on.

OGE, you'll be pleased to note that I arrived home safely..sixteen hours is too long, and it gets longer when President Bush stops traffic for an hour outside of the Toledo airport. BOO.

The experience was great. I am happy to hear most of you say great things about Dick Gephardt. He is really an incredible person.I was pretty devistated on Monday night -- front row spot for his speech, though.

I think most people were surprised that Gephardt did not do better. With all the focus on the three top finishers in Iowa since Monday, I haven't seen much comment about Gephardt. I have a theory...

Gephardt was totally locked into an anti free trade position with his union supporters. Iowa's economy is still dominated by farmers and the parts of the economy that support agriculture. Agricultural interests have a long history in this country of favoring free trade. Iowa exports a lot agricultural products to other countries. It could be that the bulk of the Iowans saw Gephardt's hostility to free trade as opposed to their economic interests.

Last time I checked, this thread was regarding the weather in Des Moines. When you guys hijack a thread onto football, how about letting a guy know.

How 'bout them Cowboys, Hops? The Cowboys aren't even the best team in Texas anymore. I thought you were from Louisiana, Hops. You need to be pulling for the Panthers and Jake Delhomme is another fine Lousiana boy. Geux Panthers!

Just so you know, I sitting here in my new NFC championship hat and t-shirt. Life is good. I'm a little bummed that I didn't win the lottery for SuperBowl tickets, but I'll get over it.

Did you hear about the gold phone on the end of the Cowboy's bench? It's Bill Parcell's direct line to God. Calls cost $500 a minute. Andy Reid has a similar phone in Philly. Calls are $1000 a minute. John Fox also has a direct line to God on the Panther's sideline. All calls are 25 cents a minute. From Carolina heaven is a local call.

Panthers 20, Patriots 17

Hey guys, I was just razzing you all about the football talk...as long as I dont have to partake in it, have fun.

On Gephardt's loss. It came as a surprise to us. Monday night was rough for us and the Gephardt family.

Eisley, you have an interesting theory, however, I must disagree with it. First, I was working out of Des Moines in a union hall. To say that Iowans didnt care about NAFTA and Gephardt's stances on free trade would be incredibly incorrect. Most of our supporters and beyond that the people of Iowa have been effected by many of the industries downsizing and closing down all together because jobs have gone to Mexico or beyond.

When it comes to the farmers of Iowa, Gephardt clearly had the best voting records for farmers. Just one example is that he voted against the hog lots that John Edwards supported and in turn made S. Carolina lost many jobs.

I really cant tell you why Gephardt lost on Monday night or where the John Kerry surge came from or why Howard Dean the front runner through most of Iowa didnt take more than 18%.

What I can say is that the Iowa caucus is a very unique event and a very very small percentage of the United States make a huge decision on behalf of the country, and if you are an Iowan who works nights or is ill or out of town, your opinion is not included.

Well, i am tired and my battle wounds have yet to heal, so I'll limp off my soap box now.

The title of this thread is IOWA, so at this point I figure it's up for grabs. Presidential Politics and Football is as good a title as any now.

Since our President apparently has some affection for the Patriots, and he, being a religious person and the darling of Christian politicians, well.. I figure God must be rooting for the PATs. Which is ironic because it was the Massachusetts Supreme court that has opened up the possibility of Gay Marriage.

God does not normally interfere in sports. The few times I can recall where His hand was at work included the '69 Mets and '86 Mets, the Franco Harris Immaculate Reception and the Patriots First Super Bowl win.

As far as Presidential Politics goes, I think the Republicans are a bit nervous, though they won't show it publicly. I know of at least 5 other persons in addition to Packsaddle that share a similar outlook on this administration. Me... I like George W. Bush as an individual. I think he's a compasionate, caring guy that cares deeply about this country. The issue I have is more with the closet cabinet that seems to be actually running things. I didn't vote for Perleman or Wolfkowitz. It remains to be seen if the Dems can come up with a ticket that looks like it wouldn't be as bad as these guys though. Like Le Voyager said, is there a true leader out there?

SA

Hey hey, holy mackerel, no doubt about it, the Cubs are on their way

The Cubs are going to hit today, they will field today, Come what may the Chicago Cubs are gonna win today...

Ahhh, the summer of '69 was when I learned praying for a sports team didn't work.

"Today I support any Dem who gets the nomination over our coke-snorting, drunk-driving, budget-busting liar who only won the election in the Supreme Court."

I haven't heard anything about the Supreme Court fixing Ted Kennedy's election..

Speaking of the Supreme Court, I think that you missed the corner-of-page-eight story telling how Gore would have lost the Florida election by an even larger margin if his preferred vote-counting method had been used. Not that it would have been the last method he proposed, of course...

Edited part: I just saw Adrianvs's note. I am just repeating what I heard from Pat Buchanan regarding the election. He was the first person I heard to say Gore was robbed. What a sweet guy.

OK, On topic. I really like Iowa. The rolling moraines, an occasional drumlin field, some kettles, climax forest of corn...and a few natural lakes. There's one that I like especially, Lake Okoboji (west and east) in the NW corner. It is a resort area but there's also a field biological station, Lakeside Lab, that is dear to my heart. Not to mention, of course, midnight beer and vegetable cheeseburgers at Miller's Bay Store. It's not too far from Silver Lake and there are several fens in the area. Just to the north is the MN border and some reasonably convenient bars for those Sunday afternoon thirsts. My favorite road sign: "Slight Bend Ahead in Road", written for persons used to driving in straight lines. Great state.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Speaking of Pat Buchanan and Iowa, the man who pulled the Reform Party nomination out of his hands in 2000 is still living in Iowa. John Hagelin is no longer running for president, but you could say that he is still in government. "His Excellency" is now a royal minister for a "king" who claims to be part of the restored Ram solar dynasty from Hindu mythology. King Raja Ram is living in Iowa too. So if anyone has been wondering where the Natural Law Party or Hagelin have been this year, they are busy running their own country, the Sovereign Global Country of World Peace. Its capital is in southeast Iowa, where "His Majesty" now resides.

Anybody here vote for the Hagelin-Goldhaber ticket in 2000?(This message has been edited by Adrianvs)