A Question for Merlyn...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question, OGE. I was going to reply with something flippant, but found I can't.

Your question to Merlyn brought back a time I went through where I didn't know if He existed -- a questioning period I had in college.

But know I honestly believe that I can feel His prescence and see His hand in so many things that I can't believe I ever really had those doubts.

Does that sound wacky? I hope not. I also hope I haven't derailed your thread.

Dave

PS -- I made a quilt that was a knight riding a pegasus. It's 8' x 10' and made of hand-stitched one inch squares. Across the top, I put the words "I Believe . . ." And left the rest blank.

Let me finish it here ". . . in God."

DS

I don't remember the subject ever coming up, so no, I wasn't brainwashed. My son was raised similarly, and I think he's an atheist, though I haven't asked him lately.

Oddly enough, if you don't tell kids that invisible superbeings exist, most don't believe invisible superbeings exist, just as if you don't tell kids that werewolves really exist, most don't believe werewolves really exist. You don't have to explicitly tell them that such things do NOT exist.

Someone once said that there are no atheists in a fox hole.

Having never been in a fox hole and never been a atheist I don't know.

Still over the weekend I did hear this from a Lutheran minister.

There was a Doctor, a Lawyer and a Engineer. They were discussing the worlds oldest profession.

The Doctor said that if you look in Genesis you will see how God took a rib from Adam and made Eve. This was a surgical procedure. So Medicine was the oldest profession.

The Engineer disagreed. He said if you went back in Genesis you will see that out of confusion God made order. Making order was the job of an Engineer. So that was the oldest profession.

The Lawyer said that they were both wrong and asked who they thought started the confusion in the first place?

I don't have all the answers, but for the nost part I like to think that my God and me are on good terms. At times I question the rituals, and then there are times when I take great comfort in the rituals.

If I ever do find myself in a Foxhole I feel sure that my God will be there for me. I only hope that I'm ready for him.

Eamonn

Oddly enough, if you don't tell kids that invisible superbeings exist, most don't believe invisible superbeings exist, just as if you don't tell kids that werewolves really exist, most don't believe werewolves really exist. You don't have to explicitly tell them that such things do NOT exist.

If you dont tell your kids about love and evil, do you think theyll come to the conclusion that they dont really exist? After all, these things are also invisible.

OGE, how does "Deism" come into the discussion. I thought you were discussing atheism, which is the belief that there is no deity. Deism involves belief in a "creator" but one who is not necessarily currently "active in the affairs of man." (To put it one way.)

Or maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

Merlyn,

Since you don't believe in God explain:

Childbirth?

the leaves changing color?

how people with cancer suddenly are cancer free without medication?

Have a question, too. Since you don't believe in God, do you believe in Satan?

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

You can find a lot of atheists in foxholes at maaf.info, the Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers; the MAAF president is currently deployed to Iraq.

Perhaps the old "no atheists in foxholes" should be turned around to "no christians in hospitals", since TRUE christians would just pray to get well, right?

Hmm, looks like the demon theory of disease really should be thrown out:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/news/local/states/wisconsin/6643191.htm

If there really IS a supreme being, does that being allow polygamy or not? If such a basic societal question can't be answered (and it can't, since major monotheistic religions don't agree on this), how can people claim to "know" what this supreme being wants if they can't even agree on such a straightforward question?

About the best thing I've read about gods is "you'll know you've created god in your own image when he hates the same people you do". I see a lot of that.