Maybe I wasn't blunt enough before...

• Administrators

Folks, SCOUTER.com provides this separate Politics and Issues Forum ONLY to protect the value and integrity of the rest of the discussion forums (keeping what some people consider irrelevant and hot headed debate separate from the area where Scout leaders can share information and ideas of value to their daily and weekly roles as Scout leaders).

While I don't regularly participate in the forums, I have been receiving complaints and been monitoring them more closely lately (remember, many more people read these forums than actually post).

As I said in my previous post, I won't scrutinize the content of the debate in the Politics and Issues forum, nor will I squelch out anyone for expressing a point of view in this part of the Forums. However, I will enforce two rules (maybe more later, at my discretion ;-):

1. Keep the debate honest.

2. Treat each other with respect.

... basically, act Scout like.

I just closed a thread. You can continue to debate the various issues raised in that thread under new threads if you see fit. But that thread violated BOTH of the rules above...calling each other names, regardless of the points of view, is inappropriate.registering as multiple user name only to support your own posts is unacceptable.If these rules are unacceptable to you, then please leave SCOUTER.com.

Sorry if this message seems abrupt to anyone, but my previous attempt at bringing some decorum was not embraced by all.

TERRY HOWERTON

Publisher, SCOUTER.com (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Terry,

I don't think you need to apologize. You were very nice the first time around, and I guess folks sometimes need a little more than a gentle tap on the shoulder to pay attention.

You provide us with a great site and a wonderful tool. Keep it up.

Terry,

I participate in a number of forums, some are Scouting, some are Philo & Politics, and I'm a moderator at a couple of them. I've got to give you credit for attempting what you're doing in the Politics and Issues Forum. Leaving the doors open for any member to speak his or her mind, on any acceptable subject to the forums, without running interference, and avoiding the obvious temptation to squelch some things is very tough. It's especially hard when the rules are pretty much in the honor system arena. My limited experience tells me that there appears to be little to the middle of the road on this subject. You either tell folks that they're on their honor to follow the rules, or you sit at the screen 24/7 and be the bad guy. Sometimes you have to come down like the proverbial ton-o-bricks just to remind folks what the rules are, and how the honor system works. But if it's decorum you seek, even letting the forum run with little moderation is a lot of work.

Good job. Good luck.

• 4 months later...
  • Administrators

Just a bump up of this message as a reminder to some new members of our forum. You are free to debate any topic, but decorum is mandatory. Decorum requires that we all act as adults, refrain from name calling or treating each other with disrespect.

TERRY HOWERTON

Thanks Terry. I wrote a message last night in that thread (I believe) but decided to hold back my criticism at the last minute. I had a feeling that others probably felt the same way. I appreciate your stance on this issue and hopefully everyone reading these postings will reconsider their reason for participating in Scouting before posting comments that are obviously contrary to those aims.

• 5 years later...

I basically agree with Terry's approach. However, if anyone wants to call me names or something, feel free to PM me with all the vitriol you can muster. Not that I WANT you to do this... I just would rather have VERBAL attacks rather than something more substantial. ;)

Besides, heh, heh, even on your best day, you coudn't come even close to matching the verbal rapier of my wife. :)

I got the message the first time around, and it makes perfect sense.

Too bad there are some individuals that just don't seem to get the message. Thanks for the forum and keep up the good work.