Welcome Newbies, Lurkers, and Geezers

Since Terry started this area I'll jump on the bandwagon and start her up.

I'm currently ASM for a Troop at Scott AFB (was a MC, but got bumped up to ASM at recharter due to losing a few ASM's). I'm also ADC, an Associate OA Lodge Adviser, and a behind the scene guy whenever a volunteer or DE needs something. (Just got "volunteered" to help out with Outdoor Training next weekend.)

I got back into Scouting two years ago after a 15 year hiatus. I started out Scouts as a Cub (not Tigers waaaay back then), got my Eagle, and was ASM for a few troops here and there until I got reassigned overseas for the second time to a location with no Scout program (no kids for that matter). Weird thing is my kids are not in BSA (My daughter is a Brownie Scout, and my son just a few years from Tiger age). The idiot typing this is also a registered GSUSA leader...Am I a glutton for punishment or what? :)

I've only got a two weeks left in the AF and I retire. Will be moving just down the street from the base and will be still involved with my troops, district, and council.

OK who's next? How 'bout you Manyirons? :)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toss me in the geezer section!

I started in Scouting when my son joined Cubs. I was a Cubmaster for 3 years & a Webelos Den Leader for 1 year. I moved up to Boy Scouts with my son as an ASM. After a year, I was asked to be the CC & was in that position for 4 years. I then was asked to be SM and stayed in that position for 7 years. Currently I am an ASM.

I served on Cub Roundtable Staff for 3 years & District Boy Scout Training Staff for 5 years. I currently am a member of the District Camping Committee.

I am also an OA Vigil Member and a recipient of the District Award of Merit & Silver Beaver.

Next!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I'd fall under the young newbie category...

I'm a Life Scout and SPL of Troop 260 in Kansas City. I also serve as the youth OA advisor and OATR for our troop.

I'm an Ordeal member since August of last year, and I've been an OA zealot ever since. :)

I also wear a Foxman stick, which I'm told attracts Runners like the color red attracts mad bulls. ;)

Yeah...if you have any other questions about my Scouting career, just ask in this thread.

TA

I am currently SM of T-336 in Little Rock, AR and have held this position for 25 years. Prior to that I served 2 years as ASM with another troop. I used to be a Beaver, courtesy of Walking Wood Badge SC134 in 1978, I have been awarded the District Award of Merit and Silver Beaver.

I am an Eagle Scout and a Vigil Member of the OA.

I am single and have stayed involved with Scouting for so long because I believe in the program.

I guess I would fit into the newbie category, I've been in scouting for 5 years now, and on my way to Eagle, 2 years until I am 18. I guess, I am just starting to get into the true aspects of the BSA, and looking forward to being a leader someday.

What I like on this site are the forums, in which I have taken a liking to the Summer Camp and Open Discussion forums, not to mention the patch trading as well?

So how many of you plan to attend the 2005 Jambo, and what are you all looking forward to the most?

CtBoyScout101

Hi I've been lurking here for a month or so, reading and learning all you guys have to offer.

I started scouting last Sept. /Oct. as a Tiger cub leader. Had a pretty disappointing start as a cub leader. Loss half my den in January for different reasons. Wish I knew then, what I know now. Can't wait till next year.

At the round up, when I was recruited, no one else raised their hand when they asked for leaders but me. We missed the New Cub Overnighter because it was the Friday night after I was recruited and I had no idea that it was going on (found out the Thursday before, at training.) At the first pack meeting I learned about the Fall Encampment which was the following weekend, needless to say the rest of the parents were a little dismayed that I had know idea that it was going on (the same parents that was at the round-up and did not raise their hand when our CM asked for leaders.) For some reason these parents expected me to know everything about what was going on and I was still a little overwhelmed.

It has been a rough year for our pack. In February our CM took ill and her den dissolved. We are already a little pack so this did not help matters. But our new CM seems really dedicated and so am I. I guess because him and I are the only leaders left(him with Webelos II and I with Wolves)we really got some work ahead of us to try and build the pack back up. Looking forward to School night and round-up.

Like Evmori, I probably qualify for the geezer category. I grew up as a boy scout in Missouri, and have lived in California for many years now. Have been an adult volunteer for over fifteen years. Served as Pack Treasurer, Webelos Leader, ASM, CC, and on district training staff. Also OA Vigil member.

zippie2223,

Hopefully your new cubmaster will be successful. When we were involved in cubs, we had an interim cubmaster for one year who was outstanding. He was military due for reassignment, and we knew we had to recruit a replacement which we were able to do. But this one guy went on a recruiting binge and doubled the size of the pack in a single month. It was a great year.

Ok, I'll bite into this one...

First off, I'm from Long Island, New York. I have been involved in Scouting all of my life, from a Tiger Cub, to becoming an Eagle Scout in 2003. As a Boy Scout I was a PL, SPL, JASM, and an ordeal member of the OA. I'm a first generation Eagle Scout in my family, but am preceded by many former Boy Scouts, and Explorer Scouts. Currently I'm a Venturer, and an ASM in my Troop.

I collect Boy Scout memoribilia including Uniforms, hats, and equipment.

I am finishing up my second year of College as a Public and Professional Communications major. My goal is to become a Professional Scouter.

YIS

OK, OK.... I'll join in....

I've been lurking on and off for about a year, more steadily for the last couple of months now that I've taken over the reins as Scoutmaster for a large troop here is Southern California. As a boy (many years ago) I was in a small troop on the east coast and left scouting after two years at the rank of Second Class. My troop then was nowhere near as active as the Troop I now lead. I've been with my current troop for two years (since my son joined) as ASM and now SM. I've learned tons from our very active Scouters and even more from this forum.

I find this forum a great place to see that other troops, regardless of size, deal with similar problems to those that we face. There is comfort in that.... Reading the discussions has prvoded many ideas that I hope will improve our already great troop.

Welcome newbies!

I'm not sure what class I fall into, but I am a 22 year old scouter who has been involved in the movement since I was a first year Webelos Scout. I was active in the Order of the Arrow for some time as a youth member. I served as a ceremonialist (the venerable shaman), performed elections and camp promotions, and was a chapter chief for two years. I am now assisting unofficially as a ceremony adviser.

I have been a camp staffer for some time and will be serving as program director this summer for the first time. I'm really looking forward to that. One thing to keep in mind about staffing is that while it is a seasonal job, it is a year-round identity. All the units in the area know you in your staff roll and capacity.

I am currently registered as an assistant scoutmaster in the same unit that I was in as a youth. Lately, I have been acting as an assistant den leader for a Webelos den. I should probably register for this position, but I know that by the time the pack gets the paperwork through, the boys will be crossing over the troop. haha..

There is also a good chance that I will be the advisor for a new Venture crew that is being formed. We will see how that goes.. I am graduating from college this spring and am negotiating how much longer I can spend as a staffer during the summer and active scouter in this area during the rest of the year. Physical relocation is the primary issue, but time constraints will eventually play a role as well. :(

OK, Here goes...

Im a life scout working on my eagle project (i have a thread going in the general forums on it...i need some suggestions so please visit) and have been in scouts for...*counts fingers*...almost 11 years...i am extreamly shy so doing a leadership projects is one on the most difficult tasks in my life. i have a little over a year left untill im 18 and will then probably become an Assistant Scoutmaster as long as college doesnt take to much time. i have earned every

OK, Here goes...

Im a life scout working on my eagle project (i have a thread going in the general forums on it...i need some suggestions so please visit) and have been in scouts for...*counts fingers*...almost 11 years...i am extreamly shy so doing a leadership projects is one on the most difficult tasks in my life. i have a little over a year left untill im 18 and will then probably become an Assistant Scoutmaster as long as college doesnt take to much time. i have earned every

Add another geezer to the list

Been playing the scouting game since 1971 when I joined Cub Scouts, continued on to boy scouts in Troop 5 Corning, CA where I received Eagle Scout in 1978 and was bestowed with a Vigil Honor sash by the Tehama Lodge #485 in 1985. I was asked to take on the reins as scoutmaster of Troop 21 here in Juneau in the year 1999 and been trying to get that right ever since I'll be sure to let you know if I ever do

YIS

Phillip Martin

Scoutmaster Troop 21

Juneau Alaska

Add another geezer to the list

Been playing the scouting game since 1971 when I joined Cub Scouts, continued on to boy scouts in Troop 5 Corning, CA where I received Eagle Scout in 1978 and was bestowed with a Vigil Honor sash by the Tehama Lodge #485 in 1985. I was asked to take on the reins as scoutmaster of Troop 21 here in Juneau in the year 1999 and been trying to get that right ever since I'll be sure to let you know if I ever do

YIS

Phillip Martin

Scoutmaster Troop 21

Juneau Alaska