How Much to Charge For Joining A Pack?

We charge $40 per year Pack Dues and collect the annual $15 registration/recharter fee. The Dues along with our fundraiser cover the cost of awards, patches, and pinewood derby cars during the program year. It also covers the cost of new handbooks and neckerchiefs when the boys graduate to new dens. If a scouts sells $200 of popcorn, then his dues are paid for. Uniforms, Boy's Life, Camping Events, Outings, etc. are all extra costs.

Webelos earning their Arrow of Light are responsible for the cost of their "career arrows" or any other items they want to add. They decide at the den-level with their parents approval. The Pack pays for the cost of AoL Certificates and AoL patches.

(This message has been edited by Jeffrey H)(This message has been edited by Jeffrey H)

I guess it's about time I threw in my packs two bits...

When the scout registars, they pay the normal natinoal registartion fee (with/with-out) Boys Life. (what is this...$35 now?) On top of that fee, our Pack has a fee of $80.00. We've considered raising it, but to be honest, this number seems to meet our needs. The 'Scout' will now be responsible for obtaining his own shirt, unit numbers, and council strip. Many parents also buy the (really cool) patch holders for the scouts rank. (okay, I think they are really cool, becuase we didn't have them when I was a cub scout.

From here, the pack provides: Book, scarve, slide, patches, belt loops (and we tend to earn a ton of those), pine-wood derby car, rain-gutter raggata boats, awards for both events (trophies or medals, or both). Additionally, we pitch in with Blue and Gold banquet stuff.

But, all of our scouts are told...if you sign up during pop-corn season...you can earn your pack dues through selling popcorn. So far, my son has hit the mark every time...and I'm really hoping he'll do better this year than last year. Time will tell.

-- As an added bonus I wasn't aware of until VERY recently... our charter organization picks up the re-charter dues for all of the Scouts. So.. the family pays it once.. and then that's it. It's not the annual gift which keeps on giving... as it were.

• 2 months later...

When a new boy joins he pays the registration through the end of the year and has to buy a shirt. From that point on, the pack or CO covers everything. The pack uses popcorn money to pay for books, scarfs, sliders, campouts, den/pack activities, class B shirts, etc. The CO covers all recharter fees. We are very fortunate in this regard.

When a new boy joins he pays the registration through the end of the year and has to buy a shirt. From that point on, the pack or CO covers everything. The pack uses popcorn money to pay for books, scarfs, sliders, campouts, den/pack activities, class B shirts, etc. The CO covers all recharter fees. We are very fortunate in this regard.

• 1 year later...

I just want to say I wish out pack collected dues, seems like it would make life so much easier. But they say some parents can not afford it, so lets leave it to the Den Leaders to decide what dues need to be collected monthly. But we will see how long that last.

wow, interesting thread. The numbers here are all over the map

We were $60 annually since before my time. Increased to $70 last year with the national dues increase

WEBELOS 2 pay a partial, $50 I think it was.....

along with 1 popcorn fundraising per year, it seems to work ok.

national dues

boys life

book

awards

pinewood kit

pinewood trophies, decorations, etc....

B&G costs

leaders dues

and basically everything misc..... except for the camping trips and food during the trips

popcorn is so sketchy though, in that some boys sell a lot and others none.....

and our huge seller just crossed over so I'm not thinking that our popcorn take will be very high next year. May need to adjust.

Our cost is about $130 to $140 per scout per year. We price dues at the cost of paying for rechartering, books and advancements. We use the fundraiser to pay for the program. So the quality of the program is a direct result of the success of the fundraiser.

This year our dues were $50 and we asked each scout family to sell $200 in the fundraiser. Some sold zero. Some sold thousands.

We are doing $35 this year for new cub scouts and $25 for old ones. The extra $10 is for the Class B Tshirt they all need since we are big into being uniformed. The other $25 is the council/national fees. Most of the old ones will probably be buying a new tshirt anyways as everyone gets bigger every year. Boys life would be $12 more.

Kids earn everything else by how much fundraising we do. And we have a group of parents who love to fundraise. If they don't fundraise they are welcome to pay out of pocket for events etc.

You need to sit down and figure out WHAT your pack needs money for and where it will come from before figuring out random amounts of dues.

We charge $28, and that gets them a Boys Life sub, neckerchief/slide and handbook. Subsequent years, they get a new neckerchief/slide.

Then we sell popcorn and wreaths. Boys need to sell about $250 worth, or their parents can pay a buyout of $125 or so.

Pack pays for belt loops/pins, and pretty much all of the patches that can be earned. There are some district patches that are paid for at the den level.