Any one had there pinewood yet?

We have. We are a small pack. 5 Tigers (I'm DL), 2 or 3 Wolves, and 2 or 3 Bears. My DS came in 1st in the Tiger race and second overall in speed. 2 other Tigers came placed in Show (best looking). So 3 from my Den are going to District in March. They had lots of fun and they are already talking about what they can do differently next year.

We had ours on Friday.

The 37 boys in attendance all raced 6 times, and had a blast.

I had a Tiger family there who was scoping out our Pack for a possible move. The boy had fun, and got to know other Tigers. The parents had fun, and the dad stayed to help clean up. They are coming to next week's Tiger meeting, so it looks like they are staying.

Not held it yet, but had the planning meeting yesterday.

We are going to do it over a 4hr block of time on a Saturday b/c we now have 50+ scouts, plus siblings and parents that want to race.

It should be a full day of racing fun.

LtFightr - Have fun while its small. Our pack starter 4 years ago with just 6 scouts. So if you do it right - the growth will happen very fast.

YiS,

Dean

Yes, we did yesterday. Lots of hot dogs sold and eaten, lots of really cool cars this year, lots of yelling and cheering for the Leaders during their division races.....crayola car was a huge hit!

Boys had a great time, lots of trophies given out, and lots of really good times had.

It was our first year doing the derby, so it was an experiment of sorts to see how things went, trying to encourage more involvement by the families in the Pack, and everyone had a really good time.

There were some problems with the derby in previous years, with a previous CM, so we hoped for a good turnout and a good series of races for the boys, and we did that....They loved having a leader run off....in fact, it was one of their favorite parts of yesterday.

Anyway, we hope to build on this year for next year.

Pinewood Derby week is here. I helped another Pack setup their track yesterday so that we can borrow it on Friday. I even got to help fix the finish line, so I am very familiar with their system. It was exciting watching the scouts in a neighboring Pack show up, so I can only imagine how much fun we will have Friday night. We do our check-in on Wednesday to limit our Friday evening timeslot.

PWD was always my favorite part of Cub Scouts MANY years ago.

Our PWD is in March with District Races in April. The boys are very excited to race.

Last year we invited all of the the local packs to participate as well as Girl Scouts (all levels) to build a car and we had them race in their own heats. They loved it. We added a sibling class and an adult class.

We intend to do the same thing this year. We set up on Friday and have pizza and a movie. Weigh ins begin Saturday morning 45 minutes before race time. We have about 50 cubs this year. The other packs in town kind of folded and joined ours.

Dave

Den Chief son went to his Webelos Dens time slot of the Derby yesterday.

Very well organized, good facilities, decent track, very good finish line finish detector and display - in several of the races I could not have discriminated between 3 of 4 cars by eye.

Excellent competition too, there were 3 and 4 way place ties over the 4 runs of the final heat (sixteen car bracket).

Ours is this Saturday. This year, we're a little bit low in terms number of entries. We will have 67 cars from the ranks, 12 cars from the Open Class (parents and siblings), 6 cars from the Outlaws Class (everything goes), and 12 18-wheelers from the Big Rigs Class. This is down from an average of 80 cubs and 100 overall. Our all time high was 112 cars and 140 overall ... that was 9 years ago! We have 6-lane BestTrack track and a ton of volunteers. Best parts of the show ... the awards and the Big Rig races.

1Hour

Our PWD is 7 Feb with district 2 weeks later (we're hosting the district event).

We've added a sisters' class and a judged car show. The car show is open to any car of any vintage. I'm hoping that the car show inspires some creativity and excitement for next year.