I know that I can count on all of my fellow Scouters to give me good advice on the following questions. Merit Badges: How soon do you recommend for new Scouts to start working on merit badges? How many can they work on at the same time?

Unless they are part of a Troop or Patrol program, District event, or camp out program, new Scouts should not be counseled toward merit badges until they attain the rank of First Class. That's where their priorities need to be. I believe that Bob White will bring up the "First Class in the First Year" program (or whatever it's called). This is a proven goal. It still works for us.

I absolutely believe that the troop program should provide an active scout the opportunity he needs to reach First Class First Year, however I do not see how that has to exclude the earning of Merit Badges.

Most Scouts attend summer camp within the first 6 months of joining and should be able to complete at least two Merit Badges. Depending on the activities they are involved in at school they can probably complete two or three during the course of their school work. Music, Scholarship, and Reading come to mind.

I would never say, or recommend you say, "NO" to any scout who wants to achieve something. The BSA advancement program allows scouts to work on Merit Badges as soon as they join. I would hope no adult would create an artificial barrier to block the scouts interest in advancement.

Bob White

PS,

there is no limit to the number of merit badges the scout can work on at one time. The scout is required to get a blue card from the SM before beginning work on any MB. The SM is responsible for making sure the scout meets any prerequesites listed in the MB requirements, and sees that the scout has contact information for a registered MB counselor. The SM should not refuse a scout a blue card unless the scout does not meet the prerequisites published in the MB book.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

In out troop we usually have the new scouts work on several merit badges at their first summer camp. Most have swimming before they attend camp then they take a few easy badges. We prefer to teach the basic scout skills at the troop outings.

I agree with the posters, there is no limit to the number of merit badges a scout may work on at a single time, and as an aside, any work done for a merit badge is valid until the scout is 18.

At the Summer Camp we attend, they have a "handicraft" area that does basketry, leatherwork, wood carving, Indian Lore and Space Exploration (they make the rocket in this area).

We encourage our first years to do 2-3 of these badges, although getting all 5 is not unheard, this qualifies the scout for a the HE-Man award and his name announced at the camps closing ceremonies. We would rather the scout come home with 2-3 completed badges than 5 partials and try to steer the scouts to completing one before going on to the other.

The first emphasis is in the First Year Program however, First Year in the morning, Handicrafts in the afternoon, cant think of a better way to spend a week.... as an 11 year old.

In addition to those school-related subjects mentioned by BobWhite, and the summer-camp badges, there are various things that a boy might be doing anyway that would allow him to earn a merit badge without major distraction from the First Class requirements. When I was a Boy Scout, merit badges could be earned after making Second Class, and I remember that the first one I ever earned was Coin Collecting. I had an active coin collection anyway, and meeting the requirements was just a matter of showing the counselor what I had and discussing it, and discussing those items in the merit badge pamphlet that were not in my collection.

Similarly, I remember the Dog Care MB (or maybe it was Pet Care, I think they have both now) not being a major strain. I was the main guy for our family's dog (when I wasn't at school) anyway, and just a bit of extra reading and discussing how I cared for the dog got me the badge. (I don't remember if I had to bring the actual dog along or not.)

There are probably a few others like this, unless of course they have changed the requirements in the past 30 years. No reason why a boy going for First Class should not be able to spend an hour or two applying what he already knows to earn a merit badge.

Every year I would buy the new Requirement Book for Advancement, in addition to the rank requirements, every merit badge has the requirements to earn each badge. This is a good place to start. Many of the badges will be easy. Keep the program fun and rewarding and yu will be surprized how many scouts will find their way to Eagle.

We also encourage MB work immediately. In addition to 2 or 3 at summer camp I ask in my initial SM conference what the boy's hobbies are and then can steer him to Pets, Collection, Music, Reading, Scholarship, Sports, etc. These relatively easy badges can give them some confidence in their ability to pass some of the more difficult and required badges.

OGEagle, I was recently told that a blue card was good for 6 months. It sounded like a "troop policy" but I haven't taken the time to follow up w/ the leader in question. Your note that all work is valid to age 18 presents hopes and hurdles. Did I start something I can't finish? (when just to young) or Can I just walk away and try again later? As a new ASM I'd like to encourage wise choices in which MB's to begin.

I offer as my source this link:

http://meritbadge.com/bsa/info/policy1.htm

I concur that a scoutmaster should be sure a scout is ready to attempt a merit badge. It would be hard to imagine a 12 year old would have the same apprecation for Personal Management that a 15 year old would have, but exceptions exist.

Then again, thats why a scout needs a signed by a leader blue card before he starts a merit badge.

ScouterPaul,

In my Troop, we sign up all the new Scouts for 5 merit badges at summer camp - basketry, woodcarving, leatherwork, wilderness survival & swimming. Unless they can't swim, they will come home with 5 merit badges. We feel this is a better way to utilize the resources at summer camp for the new Scouts.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

The troop my son just joined focuses on a different merit badge each month. The monthly campout is related to that badge. It may be an Eagle required or it may not -- Golf, Wilderness Survival. The boys choose the badges when planning the year. It's up to the boys to participate and to finish the badge. Right now they are working on Personal Fitness...the new scouts had a glazed over look the other night. In my opinion the new scouts aren't ready for that one.

The first summer camp for the boys, they are in the new scout program for 1/2 day. Then they are encourage to take swimming and a couple of other merit badges of their choice. I think they are pointed toward the Eagle required badge, but I'm pointing my son toward the "fun and easy" badges -- the arts and crafts type.

I bought the requirements book so my son can browse through it and have an idea about the requirements for some of the badges. Right now it's all I can do to get him to do ANY school work, much less work on merit badges. I think it depends on the kid and don't forget that not all new scouts are the same age. My son will be 11 in July, he is not near as mature as the new scout who turned 11 last September.

Mom,

You are right, have him do First year in the morning and aim for Basketry and Leatherwork in the afternoon. He should be able to come home with the badges. For his first summer camp having any degree of sucess is preferable to getting a partial.

The first year my son and I went to camp was a near disaster. He was wildly (as opposed to mildly ADD). He is a little better now. I made sure he was at every class and asked him every night if he had any work to do. The only thing he ever said about the camping merit badge was he needed a letter from the scoutmaster that he had the required nights of camping. Our Scoutmaster gives the required documentation to the counselor on thursday to reduce the possibility of it being lost.

When the blue cards were passed out on friday night, his was not in the completed pile, nor was it in the partial pile. When I asked the counselor, he said my son never turned in any of the written work (menu's, duty roster, etc). When he didnt get the blue card, he was devastated, after all, he made all the classes, something not everyone who completed the badge did. But then again, they turned in all the work.

In my son's mind, he was so focused on the scoutmaster letter that everything else went right past him.

The moral of the story is, know your kid (which I know you do) and have him work on badges you know he can finish.(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

OGE,

What I do at summer camp is make my rounds of all the merit badges areas & check to see how my Scouts are doing. I do this on Wednesday & Friday. This way, I avoid what happened in your Troop.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

Ed,

I thought I was doing exactly what you suggest. I made the rounds and thought I kept up on it. I didnt talk to the counselor before friday night because I didnt want to "interfere" in the process. Actually I thought walking him from site to site and class to class was more than I "should" have done. Believe me, I am a lot more inquistive now for other scouts with the counselors.

(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)