WHat was the coolest thing you bought?

Even though I am still the CM of my pack, I am also the ASM of our troop - which means I am starting to buy "ME" gear instead of using the "all 500 of us" gear I was used to using in cub scouts.

Love the hammock I just bought and just made up the rope knot that secures my carabiner to my canteen. Got my owm mess kit and a untensil set on a carabiner too.

Looking at all the new gear I wikll need kinda makes me feel like a kid in a candy store.

I have to admit, other than the actual spending of my $$$, I am excited to buy this stuff.

So, in your opinion, what was the coolest piece of " you " gear you bought for scouting?

Scoutfish, good topic!

First item that jumps out in my memory: a decent sleeping bag.

As a scout, I used the 10 dollar/10 lb Kmart sleeping bags (backpacking nightmare)...and the aforementioned GI mummy/chickenfeather/surplus bags which kept one toasty warm, but still, they were surplus and had definitely seen better days.

So in the '80s, when I could finally afford it, I went to the local sporting good store and bought a superb bag. Still have it, still use it. Amazed at how it improved my sleep and morale.

The rest of my gear, though, as I mull this over, is pretty much the same stuff I had as a scout in the '70s. It works and brings back a bunch of memories.

I think the "coolest" thing I ever bought was a battery operated christmas (Yultide Greetings for the politically correct) lights back in 94/95.

I was in Panama with another ASM and our families had returned to the states. We went camping in the Jungle and NOTHING went right. The wood we had was soo dry it sucked water from our hands but would not stay lit (even with magnesium). We were getting majorly bummed and then I out the lights on a bush and we cheered up.

I gave those lights to him and he brought and used them in the "Sand Box" a few times to cheer up other military.

He has passed on but the memory remains.

Rick

The two pieces of gear that have made the most difference in my camping are: LED headlight and Thermorest.

Taking the flashlight out of my hand and putting on my head was the smartest thing ever. Except maybe that they use LED bulbs instead of incandescent so the batteries last for a year instead of a weekend.

An air matterus that is insulated and stays inflated. Keeps the ground from digging into my hips and allowing me to get a decent nights sleep so I am able to funtion the next day. Thermorest are the best ever.

I have lots of camping toys and gadgets that are fun, novel, or at least useful but if I left them home would not make or break a trip. The two above are essential.

Plus one on the LED head lights........ Now don't go cheap....get a black Diamond or Pezel, this is an area where you get what you pay for.....Steep and cheap is your friend here.

Hammocks were a huge improvement... silnylon tarps, under and over quilts........

Backpacks.....how many times are scout leaders doped into buying a 90 liter pack or larger.....I bought into it....bought an osprey aether.....I WAS STUPID, 6 pounds of pack......

Granite Gear Crown VC 2 pounds..... So my hammock, tarp, sleep system and Backpack weigh less than my old backpack empty....

My weekend pack with food and water is 15 pounds.

sunto A-10 compass. Needle settles faster than anything (even my electronic compass), declination lines in the housing, and the instruction book was we'll written.

The coolest thing I have bought was technically for my Bear Scout.

An energizer 4 LED solar powered spot light. Puts out pretty good light.

From amazon:

"A great choice for a powerful light is the Solar 4LED has many features you may need or find super handy. With 2 power options; either solar panel or AC car adapter. Delivers a large, bright spot light with either 5 hours of charging in the sun for 3.5 hours of runtime or 12 hours of charging through car adapter for up to 5 hours of runtime. Water resistant body with a carry strap for handling."

It's shipping weight is 1.5 pounds but it probably weighs closer to 12 ounces. He can strap it on the back of his pack and let it charge then hang it up in the tent at night to play uno or anything else.

Yeah and an Uno deck is the second coolest gear I've ever gotten.

1) headlamp

2) Spork-a-knife... my mess kit now consists of ONE untensil, an old Army canteen cup and 1/2 of an old BSA mess kit. I can eat for a week with those 3 things if need be.

3) Big Agnes zero degree rated mummy bag w/ trapizoid footbox! I can finally fit my shoulders comfortably into a mummy bag and my feet have room to move, but still stay warm. Big $$, but it'll last me forever as I assume I'm finished growing in size.

4) A gorrilla pod for my digital still camera and flip share video camera. One of those inventions you see, its so simple, yet so great. Why couldn't I have thought of that !?!?

Was thinking of getting a MSR pocket rocket, but I'm kind of partial to my old Coleman exponent single burner. A little bigger, but its fuel and fire all in one, doesn't junk up with temp or altitude like propane, and although I'll likely never use it like this, you can run it on unleaded gas without a conversion kit (if the end of the world comes - or at least the 'big one' finally hits SoCal).

Watch on a carabiner. I didn't even buy it, my husband got it as a giveaway at one of those tech fairs where they try to convince authorized purchasers to buy stuff.

I have ecxema and psoriasis on my wrists, so watch bands are an excruciating irritation.

Dean look at the Soto stove verse the pocket rocket.......

Pocket Rocket has issues below freezing....the Soto has a built in pressure regulator and works much better in colder weather and I have found it to be more consistant heat delivery....

Hammock. I still get a lot of looks. I love how fast it is to take down.

Runners up:

-Leatherman Micra-thing is amazing.

-Swiss Army Gas Mask Bag-Really versatile. Hang it on a pack, a belt, has a strap. Perfect size and it is waterproof. And my dry-box fits exactly in it.

-Walking Stick. Got a cool looking one.

Have to admit to being very much like a kid in a candy store.

The last thing I bought was and is always the coolest until the I buy something new.

My office used to be just across the road from Gander Mountain and I spent a lot of time there leaving a fair amount of my hard earned cash.

"Cool"? Is kinda like beauty very much Dependant on what your doing and what your used to.

Boots have come a long way.

I remember back home buying army surplus boots that weighed almost as much as I did.

My old old Blacks of Greenwich down filled sleeping bag lasted years, now I have six or seven bags that I can use depending on the weather and what I'm doing.

I've always loved Swiss Army Knives and feel lost without mine.

Teflon coated light weight cooking pots are great.

But maybe the coolest thing that I use the most is my Goretex rain gear.

I use it for camping hiking and walking the dogs.

I remember the days when I was dry on the outside but soaked on the inside.

I paid what I thought was a small fortune for it but it was worth it.

Ea.

Careful with that hammock. Use a climbing carabiner, or you might end up in a pile on the ground like some of my scouts!

Agreed, the headlamp is a game changer for me. And the super light weight jackets and rain gear.

But the big thing for me is the waterproof shockproof cameras.