A comment from someone not in Scouting travelling Amtraks Southwest Chief

This is recent, as in posted today. It's a gentleman, posting about his sister, who travelled Amtrak in coach from Lamy NM to Fullerton CA. This means this Troop/Crew was westbound after a trek Friday or Saturday...

She said there were a lot of rowdy boy scouts on the train. So looks like the camp near Raton is still catering to the boy scouts.

I think folks should realize that rowdy is not a word most common carrier passengers want to hear about any neighbors during their trip, let alone Scouts.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

I understand the intent of your post, and the point is well taken.

However, the term "rowdy" can be interpreted a number of ways, I suppose. It's all in the eyes and ears of the beholder.

Could run the gambit from talkative to rape-and-pillage.

Yah, but not necessarily courteous to fellow travelers.

This can be a really hard thing to balance, eh? On da one hand, we owe our fellow travelers respect and courtesy. LNT applies to our in-transit behavior as well as our backcountry behavior, and disrupting lots of other folks enjoyment of their quiet vacation travel is not a good thing, eh?

At the same time, I reckon there are a lot of old fogies my age who just aren't used to being around kids any more. I admit that I've been out at times when kids have been out and about who were very kind and respectful, and had codgers come up to me and complain bitterly about "those hooligans". Yeh even see these gated retirement communities where dogs are OK but kids are forbidden. "Rowdy", like beauty, is oft in da eye of the beholder.

Personally, I try to stay away from such old grumps. ;). But when yeh happen to be around 'em yeh have to do da best yeh can.

Beavah

You know that boys will be boys and just because they are wearing a uniform doesn't mean their very nature is transformed miraculously. Yes they should be respectful, but any of us who have raised kids know how hard that is sometimes. A long boring train ride through the southwest desert you just know something is going to happen with a bunch of teenage boys on board.

Even a dozen teens from the chess club sitting in a tight close confined area (bus, train, plane or Chevy Suburban in their best behavior are going to be roudy by someone's definition. That's a lot of youthful energy condensed in a small space for a long time.

Barry

I have been doing a lot of reading on Amtrak centered forums for a while now, you get everybody from the person who is just thankful they can take a train to where they need to go instead of stuck in a bus, to someone who expects to be waited on hand and foot like some euro royal. If the latter had to share a breakfast table with some average boys it's almost guaranteed they won't be happy. I have read where a whole coach was dedicated to Philmont boys, and a Superliner Coach holds like 70 people.

A few years ago my family and I took Amtrak from Connecticut to Albuquerque, stopping in Raton. On the way west, a whole bunch of Scouts got on in Kansas City. They were ultra polite to everyone, even as they enjoyed each others' company. On the way back, another group got on heading east. They were tired and a bit dirty, but likewise courteous. I was impressed. Not all Scouts are rowdy and disruptive.