What are your multiple uniforms

I have:

1 Sea Scout white uniform

2 Sea Scout Tan uniforms (we were asked to have 1 white, 2 tan for the Sea Scout booth at National Jamboree. Before I had only one of each)

8 Green ODL venturing uniforms. All are the same in terms of insignia EXCEPT each one has a different National or World Jamboree patch on them. (I took advantage of some sales on eBay and the sell off of the old Venturing shirts to add to my collection and to have enough for each Jamboree). I have several charcoal gray pants/shorts (NONE from National) and socks.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure!

I have about 25 tan shirts.

Some I used for WB back when shirts had to not have a lot of patches and stuff.

Some from when I was the SM for our Council contingent to the 2001 and 2005 Jambos.

A couple from when I was serving on the Area Committee.

Some have District Committee insignia, some have insignia from other positions.

I have a white Sea Scout uniform and a couple of the tan Sea Scout uniforms.

The truth is that I can't sew and HWMBO hates to sew. So when I bought a new shirt I'd buy the patches and the nice Lady in the Council Service Center would sew them on for me for a few dollars.

I was informed back when I was District Commish, by one of my staff that I have one knot on up side down, Bad thing is I can't remember which shirt and I'm too busy to bother looking.

Ea,

"It appears that I own a fairly small number of uniform shirts (3)."

Don't feel bad, I too have 3, 1 short sleeve poplin with my Pack CC stuff, 1 short sleev microfiber also CC, and 1 long sleeve microfiber for my District Committe position.

1 Tan shirt ASM (same patch that I was awarded when I turned 18)! Kakhi shorts. Olive hiking socks. (Got sick of wearing out the standard issues.) I have the Jambo patch from my youth, and a patch from the first 50miler I hike, for the memories, on my right pocket. I hang whatever most recent patch I've acquired there as well.

1 Green shirt for this awkward in-between position of Advisor to VOA VP-Program. It also doubles as my Crew advisor uniform when I'm someplace were folks are expecting a field uni. Anyway the shirt was on clearance so I decided to bite the bullet. My one pair of grey pants bleached out in the wash. The Mrs was going to get a replacement pair for Father's day. She got a puppy instead. I was temped to name the thing Greypants. I finally acquired some lightweight grey shorts and wear grey socks with them as needed.

• 2 months later...

Four of the old-style tan shirts: One with Cub Scout insignia I haven't worn in at least twelve years; two fully loaded with knots and insignia that were my mainstay in troop and district roles from about 1999 to about 2009 (and probably will never wear again); and one "new" one purchased just before the Centennial version came out, with nothing sewn on and never worn.

One Centennial-style (smokes pocket) supplex nylon shirt, sleeve insignia (including Rocking Chair Patrol patch), universal patch, green Boy Scout shoulder loops, cloth name tag, and hanging OA temporary patch. This is my "troop" shirt when, as a retired SM, I show up at my two former troops from time to time.

One vented microfiber shirt, sleeve insignia (including Bear Patrol patch), universal patch, silver shoulder loops, cloth name tag, occasional hanging temporary patch or OA dangle. This is my "district/council" shirt.

Stopped wearing the knots and reduced other "front" decorations when I switched to the Centennial-style shirt.

Dan Kurtenbach

Fairfax, VA

I have only one uniform.

Tan short sleeve centenial shirt, zip away pants/shorts.

It was a Cub Scout uniform, but it is now a Boy Scout uniform.

After I became a ASM as well as becoming a ACM ( stepped down as CM) , I went with troop patches since the cubs really care more about what I am doing then what I am wearing while doing it - except

when I dress up as an indian, pirate, ballerina, etc.. - they do notice and have fun with that! :)

I also have a secondary pait of scout pants. They are also zip away. They are made of nylon/supplex quick dry, blah , blah, blah.

I have a red jac shirt. Bought it on sale. Could not see paying $99.00 for it.

But I think my best uniform is one that isn't even a uniform. I can go to my council office scout shop, council camp, District RT, camporees, ect... and most people recognize me by my face.

They will also recognize me at Wal-Mart or Outback Steakhouse while in non scouting clothes.

When I was coming in as a Den Leader, they were changing over to the Centennial Uniform, so I snatched up 2 shirts and 3 pairs of switchbacks on clearance. I probably have more in the patches than I do in the uniform itself.

1 tan shirt, cotton. Used for ceremony and field. Sweat stained with holes from where I cut off knots on a campout. Ink stain from a leaky pen at a Wolf campout. Includes toy train device to show I was "trained". Too big since I lost 30 pounds.

4 red Troop microfiber shirts for camping, sleeping, swimming.

• 2 weeks later...

4 short sleeve and one long sleeve (I'm in the South). 3 shorts, 2 trousers, one cargo, one not. They all have the same knots, position, council, and OA stuff. Temp patches vary, though. One rather worn one is my camp work shirt, but I do have one 100% cotton ss shirt that is by far the best looking of the bunch. It comes out for special occasions only. No centennial stuff.

As a Scout I had a summer and winter troop inform shirt with all associated numerals and patrol patches. I also had three short sleeve shirts with only CSP, US flag, rank, and Lodge flap for working on camp staff which I used for Lodge events too. I think I had about 6 pairs of shorts since we wore uniform shorts, socks, and staff T-shirt as a work uniform. I regret donating all but one long sleeve shirt and pants.

As a Scout I had a summer and winter troop inform shirt with all associated numerals and patrol patches. I also had three short sleeve shirts with only CSP, US flag, rank, and Lodge flap for working on camp staff which I used for Lodge events too. I think I had about 6 pairs of shorts since we wore uniform shorts, socks, and staff T-shirt as a work uniform. I regret donating all but one long sleeve shirt and pants.

My wife commented at the COH that me and the boys with the worn shirts "looked like we were active campers and knew what we were doing". She is pretty fastidious so I take that as a compliment.

At Summer Camp I noticed that "uniform cultures" vary within Councils. I saw one very large council where the adults all looked like the proverbial south american generals.