World Crest Patch not required - per insignia guide. Correct????

I've never had one of those ugly purple things on my uniform. When I was a kid, it was earned. I haven't earned it. Now everyone gets one, and it's ugly as sin. My uniform is mine for my fun. I put badges in the right places, but I don't always wear all of the badges I am supposed to. I don't like lodge flaps, trained patches, service stars, OA sashes, temporary patches or knots, either. My uniform is a council strip, uniform number, and a position patch. That's it. I wish it didn't have a flag on it. The old ones a long time ago didn't. I think the flag is tacky and looks like a security guard uniform.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes it seem that Boy scouts of America has joined the "No left Behind" syndrome by making an Earned Award an "at a boy" for everyone.

I earned mine along with other Camp Staffers by working with Several British Youth during Summer Camp..we raised their expenses for their Trip.

Now it is just another expenditure for Uniform Costs.

As for other things such as Centennial Rings, Jamboree Patches and Conclave Patches..I will wear only what I earn by being a member of scouting or as an attending member. My Local Council is out of Rings so no more to be bought and sewn on new Uniforms..I will not take it off my current old Uniform as I was a Member of Scouting during the Centennial..but I will not go out of my way to find one to put on new Uniforms. Our Council is getting a New Council Patch since the Centennial is over..I will buy a Centennial Patch for my Collection but not to wear. I like the Newest Council patch because it is very similar to the One we had forever and reminds me of the Old one from my Scouting Days.

Might as well let every scouter wear Eagle Scout Badges because we are here to support all scouts and Church Awards because we support all scouts and we do not want to hurt anyone's feelings since their church might not have an award.

I will never ever wear a patch I have not earned for going to things like Jamboree or OA Conclaves..that right is reserved for those who went..if I did not go.

Yes I have purchased Patches to support a Local group going but those Patches will go in a Display Case with a Note.. received for Financial Support or something like that..

I do not like the Cheesey little American Flags we wear but at least they are displayed properly not some lame excuse that the American Flag never retreats or viewed as moving forward..I like the Embroidered Flags better.

Three Life Time Scouting Goals I will achieve on my own...Attend a National Jamboree, World Jamboree and NOAC

Someday I will attend Wood Badge...just gotta work out scheduling.

All other Awards and Achievements are in the Hands of My Peers in Scouting..Vigil, Silver Beaver ...etc.. I would like them but I will not be a failure as an Adult Scouter If I never receive them

• 4 weeks later...

"Makes it seem that Boy scouts of America has joined the "No left Behind" syndrome by making an Earned Award an "at a boy" for everyone."

While I can understand you sentiment, the problem is the World Crest was never created to BE an award, earned or not.

It was meant to be a symbol of world scouting that ALL Scouts would wear to show they are part of a world-wide movement.

The BSA kind of messed that up by making the World Crest be something you could only earn. Other countries instead created other patches for that purpose. The BSA kind of does as well, with the International Participant patch.

So what the BSA finally did was get in line with everyone else in the world. Nothing more. This was done a LONG time before the "everyone gets an award" attitude started to come to the forefront.

emb21. One of the Scouts and his father are from Sri Lanka in my Troop. The father earned the Sri Lankian equivilant of the BSA Eagle Scout Rank. I am always trying to get him to show me the award.

The Council Store hands you one and says you have to have it when you buy a uniform shirt. Now I am all for scout global solidarity but why not just pre-sew the dang thing on the shirt.

As for BSA24--I hate my standard Council design but where it anyway.

"The Council Store hands you one and says you have to have it when you buy a uniform shirt. Now I am all for scout global solidarity but why not just pre-sew the dang thing on the shirt."

I don't disagree. I remember when the US flag was sold separately, and we had to add them, now they are sewn on already.

I find it interesting how other countries do it. With the Boy Scout of Philippines, they have their logo embroidered on one pocket, and the world crest embroidered on the other, so they don't bother to deal with patch. (tho I found that the big wigs would have tailored uniforms, so they had patches...)

Bart,

That's the Sri Lankan association's emblem, not their version of the World Crest. Only one version of the WC, but they can be made of different materials. I wore a WC from Canda that had a velvet background, the leaders issued those to use to makeup for not having to earn the WC while we were in the middle of a trip. Also have a woven Croatian WC.

In Sri Lanka, like most places that were under "modern" British colonial rule, the highest rank was "Queen's Scout". I have no idea how that all worked when the island became communist, but eventually the island become a republic and the rank was renamed "President's Scout". Anyway, the patch for it is the coat of arms of Sri Lanka.

The lodge at my summer camp has a poster entitled something like "Scouting around the world - Scoutisme mondial" It's subtitled "World crests around the world". For most countries, the world crest is the same purpley/blue one. Down in the S section, for Sri Lanka, it instead shows the "membership patch".