• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as it pains me to say it, the only reason I haven't ignored GW is because when he's on topic and not playing at being an undesirable or ... maybe is just being undesirable, he makes good points.

Wisecracks are one thing, and many of us have done so... pie comes to mind... but few of us are mean in our wisecracks, but, some have chosen to be mean spirited, seemingly on purpose. It's the meanness that's tiring and unappreciated, a well crafted pun or funny wisecrack perks things up and we all seem to enjoy them from time to time.

Maybe you should stop the mean spirited postings GW, but I am generally opposed to censorship OGE.

How appropriate!

Day after day,

Alone on a hill,

The man with the foolish grin is keeping perfectly still

But nobody wants to know him,

They can see that he's just a fool,

And he never gives an answer,

But the fool on the hill,

Sees the sun going down,

And the eyes in his head,

See the world spinning 'round.

Well on the way,

Head in a cloud,

The man of a 1000 voices talking perfectly loud

But nobody ever hears him,

Or the sound he appears to make,

And he never seems to notice,

Sees the sun going down,

And nobody seems to like him,

They can tell what he wants to do,

And he never shows his feelings,

Sees the sun going down,

Ooh, ooh,

Round and round and round.

And he never listens to them,

He knows that they're the fools

They don't like him,

The fool on the hill

Sees the sun going down,

Ooh,

Round and round and round

....Helpfull, Friendly, Curtious, Kind, Cheerfull,... Sound familiar?

I was once told: "Never argue with" a(n) _______ (inject your preffered derogatory desritor). "They will pull you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

Absolutely no benefit at all JB. Funny though how an objection arises on the rare occasion when "free speech" works both ways instead of one way. Most folks are too polite to exercise their "right" to wrestle with a pig, but that doesn't stop the pig from slinging mud anyway.

Yes Mark, several years. With a couple of breaks between, no?

Once upon a time, there was a man that worked for a guv'ment agency. Got some promotions, made some friends, was recognized for the goodness of his work (sometimes), chastised when he didn't measure up to someone's expectations (rarely), and garnered some satisfaction thru the years. Then he was offered an "early out" program and BAM, now his wife wants him to "find another job ferpetesake".

In many a meeting with equals and higher ups, the most constant complaints he remembers hearing are "howcome we read about THIS in the paper and never heard about it from management? Where's the notification? How come the rumor mill is more accurate than the CEO's Memogram?"

It has ever been so, mores the pity.

Maybe it's necessary to hear about decisions BEFORE they are decided. Even if no one asked me about it and I have lots of good reasons why it won't work ("see? I coulda told you so if you'd asked")

"No one will be riffed"

"the merger will not affect anyone in (pick a section or level)"

"The new uniform/procedure/method/product/image/equipment has been vetted/tried out/

shown to/designed by/proven thru/... a trade group/committee of employees/senior workers/manager's secretaries...

But they didn't ask ME!

Scouter magazine? email lists? Which of Many Scout net groups? How is Irving to ask us? how is Irving to TELL us?

My Council, in it's wisdom, decided to bureaucratically congeal six Districts into one BIG District. When did "we" find out? At May Roundtable, it was announced that as of 1 July, it would happen. Meantime, 'keep on doing the good Scouting you are doing'. No one other than some paid pros and DCs knew before the announcement. The official rationales and the unofficial perceived reasons didn't even come a close match. Alot of folks felt not a little betrayed. Planned activities went on (CSDC, IOLS, Camporees, NSLST, among others) but the slippery slope of no longer being "A" district was palpable.

Perhaps this uniform thing is like that. We find out about it outside of the ""official"" channels and wonder how MY opinion was considered or any ones. Perhaps the 'rumor' or the 'reasonable' assumption or the 'overheard' comment is a better way, the preferred way, the 'cushioned' way of finding out before the actuality.

Somebody has to make the decision, make the choice. In this instance, the differences in the old and new seem to be stylistic and practical, but we have had arguments both ways.

In my capacity as UC, I now ask my Scouters, are you aware of the new District? and Are you aware of the new uniform coming this fall? And very few admit any knowledge of either. Most don't have an opinion. All want to know,,,how does this affect the Scouts in my unit? Can we still go camping and visit the museum? And I answer, very little and yes, and yes.

But it would be nice to be asked, and then told, by the powers that be.

Robert White: thank you for your "advanced notice", no matter how you come by it.

Auric W: I share your concern to hear that which will benefit me, but I admit to feeling it is better if it comes from them that should tell us, yes?

YiS

I still want to know why I got moderated for saying "Freaking" and someone can call me an ass with impunity. As I said before (which was moderated) fair doesn't seem to be fair.

" I share your concern to hear that which will benefit me, but I admit to feeling it is better if it comes from them that should tell us, yes?"

Much more Scoutlike to not tell tales out of school and when one is told, not repeat it. Like fairness, calls for Scoutlike behavior only seem to go one way.

No one asked me or any other person present to not share this information. It was offered freely and without conditions

You are just trying to create a conflict where none exists, simply because you enjoy creating conflict. I believe that is the behavior that OGE may be questioning us about.

As far as others concern over censorship I will offer that as a private forum, which this clearly is, the owner has a right of editorial control. Just as we each have a right to control the language and behavior used by anyone who comes into our own homes, so does the owner of this site and his selected moderators.

It is not censorship since posters should have no expectation of any freedoms on a private sight other than those offered them by the owner. Participation here, as I understand it, is not a right.

" It was offered freely and without conditions"

By someone who, by you own words, wasn't supposed to be making the announcement.

Let's close it with this. Whatever floats your canoe, BeeDub. You leaked the information in your "I got a secret" fashion because . . . you're BeeDub.

I had a really good limerick for here

But its' tone was not of good cheer

I decided against it

sans snideness or foul wit

I think I'll go have me a beer

GW, seriously, tone down the snide comments.

When you're serious, you have good comments.