SP, at the risk of sounding silly, will this be for the youth to earn?

Because it strikes me that the exposure to the professional opportunities, as a youth, would be pretty darn depressing.

No knock on the pros themselves, it's just a tough line of work to get ahead in.

Back in my days as a youth, I seriously considered striving to be a BSA pro till I observed what a mentor of mine when thru (he was a DE). An outstanding role model, loved scouting and the outdoors, and he never said one bad word about his job. But even a thick-headed high school kid like me could see the kind of hours he was keeping, working all kinds of projects. One heck of a grind. He kept a sleeping bag in his car and often slept in the office. Later he resigned and went into another line of work, where he was quite successful. If it got the best of a scouter that good, I knew I it wasn't for me.

But that's just me. Some bright lads shadowing a council exec might get a kick out of the fundraising, strategic planning, and social circles that one must move in. But I'm also thinking of the DEs in cubical land, working day and night like Bob Cratchit. That part might be kinda eye opening.

PS. This might qualify as chasing a rabbit, but why does professional scouting have to be the grind that it is?

(This message has been edited by desertrat77)

There is already American Business, and Salesmanship.

If you want to add another merit badge in that vein then I would suggest Marketing, or Public Relations.

I don't see the point, or the need, for a merit badge specifically for the business end of Scouting.

I think trying to steer a scout into being a professional scouter is a disservice to the boy. there are much more rewarding fields for a college educated young man.

Honestly I wouldn't want any of my scouts to be caught up in that conflicted world of financial and boy numbers......

Scouts should ideally learn lots about the volunteer and pro opportunities in Scouting by chatting with their SM and ASMs, their lodge and chapter advisers, their CD and PD and camp staff. I sure did - just naturally. Making it a badge of any sort will suck all the fun and interest right out of it. I agree with Lisabob.

We don't see more of a transition from Scouts to volunteers because of many factors, including the grey-area-Scouter phenom that Eagle 92 has remarked upon here; college; marriage; military service; starting careers; etc. There's a lot going on at that age, people are moving around the country, and volunteering with a youth program is not first on the priority list of most people of that age range.

There already is a badge for scouting for boys. It's called First Class Rank!

What you are talking about is a BS Beurarcracy badge! Leave it to the earner to decide what the "BS" stands for. That could even be requirement 9b!

You guys are a tough sell for my Bright Idea!

I really hate to lose pretty much ALL those young men we've trained up when they graduate from high school.

Does anyone have their own Bright Ideas on how those young men can be kept interested in Scouting and invited to participate in unit, district and council activities once they age out of Boy Scouts?

You've got an idea in search of a problem. Since our mission isn't to develop Scouting professionals or assistant Scoutmasters, I don't really see losing people when they turn 18 as a problem.

I'm perfectly happy to see my Scouts move on from Scouting and apply the skills and principles they've learned in their lives and careers. That's our mission.

The way our culture is set up -- that 19-y.o.s tend to leave home for college and may or may not return to start careers and families -- works counter to the model of Scouts moving up into adult leadership roles. And frankly, I'd discourange any of my gung-ho Boy Scouts from going immediately into a career in Scouting. If they think they're going to become professional Boy Scouts they're in for a terrible disappointment. My recommendation would be for the young man to get a business degree related to the non-profit sector, go to work for another non-profit for awhile, then come back to Scouting professionally, if that's what he wants to do.

I don't think you merit badge idea fits the program, either. WAAAAY to specific. Maybe an optional requirement related to non-profits in the American Business MB, but there's no way I can see this making the cut.