Camping MB requirement

I've been looking for guidance in regards to requirement 9a, specifically the phrase "long term camp". In my past experiences this was always viewed much as the OA views it, a "resident camp", usually with tentage and probably meals provided.

Therefore all other tent or outside camping was counted in full toward the camping MB requirement. This included not only overnight and weekend campouts, camporees, etc, but also longer lasting campouts that changed campsites nightly, such as national high adventure treks and local backpacking, canoe, etc treks.

In the troop I am now in the camping merit badge counsellor will only recognize one camping trip of five days or above to fill requirement 9a, and the remaining time must be filled with weekend outings.

Was I wrong all this time thinking this requirement was made to limit the days of quasi camping (provided shelter, meals)that could be counted and that it was to be an added incentive to get the scouts out on camping trips where they could build their experience?

Well, the requirement states you may use a week of long term camp toward the requirement. The wording was recently changed to include "he 20 days and 20 nights must be at a designated Scouting activity or event." to, in my opinion, eliminate counting family & backyard camping.

It isn't required to count a week of long term camp, but most counselors do.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

In amplifying Ed's comment, remember that Camping MB and OA requirements differ:

IIRC OA requires minimum 5 nights of LT camping, and a total of 15

Camping MB leaves LT camp to counselor discretion, and totals 20 days and nights.

Camp a total of at least 20 days and 20 nights. Sleep each night under the sky or in a tent you have pitched. The 20 days and 20 nights must be at a designated Scouting activity or event. You may use a week of long-term camp toward this requirement. If the camp provides a tent that has already been pitched, you need not pitch your own tent.

Above is the requirement as written. As always, the MBC is the gatekeeper.

My interpretation is that one could camp 40 times at a Scout activity - 20 individual days, 20 individual nights and that would suffice or one could also camp for 20 consecutive days and nights and that would suffice too.

Now, I'm curious, has anyone ever not camped under the sky? Maybe only in the southern hemisphere? :)(This message has been edited by acco40)

I'm not a MBC for Camping MB.

But I must have too much time on my hands?

Our Camp Staff lives in tents while working at camp. Most are up at camp for something like 6 -8 weeks (36 - 48 Nights)

When OJ was on staff his tent had all the comforts of home??

Would this count?

(He did earn the camping MB without counting times spent on Staff)

Eamonn.

Acco,

Huh? He may use a week of longterm camp, not a month, not 6-8 weeks, he may use a week. I do not believe he must use a week, but he can if he wan't to. I think you'll agree a week is somewhere ---- aw nevermind. you get the idea.

(answer address to acco and Eamon)

We have counted consecutive nights of camping outside of summer camp, on backpacking trips where the campsite changes every night. So a 7 day, 6 night backpacking trip would cound as 6 nights of camping. Plus possibly another night or two camping on the way to and from the backpacking outing.

We have counted 3 nights for a long weekend camping trip, we do not consider a "long term" camp. i.e. Friday, Sat, & Sunday night.

SA

acco40

To be honest.

I don't really care!!

It was his MB.

I wasn't the MBC. (And as I posted "I'm not a MBC for Camping MB.)

I was kinda pondering the :"one could also camp for 20 consecutive days and nights and that would suffice too."

What I believe is of no consequence!

You posted the "one could also camp for 20 consecutive days and nights and that would suffice too." So what do you believe?

Ea

(Who now really have too much time on his hands!!)

First, yes - it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks other than the MBC.

But since you asked my opinion...

My understanding of the English language leads me to believe that as the requirement is stated - Camp a total of at least 20 days and 20 nights. Sleep each night under the sky or in a tent you have pitched. The 20 days and 20 nights must be at a designated Scouting activity or event. You may use a week of long-term camp toward this requirement. If the camp provides a tent that has already been pitched, you need not pitch your own tent. - any combination of days and nights would suffice as long as they met the other requirements (Scouting event, tent you pitched unless ..., etc.) Stating that one may use a week of long-term camp does not preclude using a two week long period or any other period for that matter.

In OJ's case as you described it to me - it was in a tent that either he or the camp pitched, was a Scouting event - so yes I would have counted that.

Thanks!

As I said;he had all the comforts of home.

I'm not sure if there is a difference between staying in a tent and camping?

He went as far as buying furniture from the local Good Will Store!!

The tent was carpeted!!

He had his laptop (Sadly no Internet in the tent!) His phone. His music. Electric lights and fans.

Is this really camping?

Ea.

Scouts will have a more rounded repertoire of camping experiences by camping in a variety of ways: car, canoe, backpack, summer camp, weekend, Philmont. Garden variety summer camp is too easy. I think that is the reason why the requirement limits "long term camp" to 1 week.

The original question is what is considered a "long term camp".

This is not defined in the requirements.

I searched through many pieces of scouting literature and found only one definition. The current Tour Permit Application (http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34426.pdf) defines a long term camp as longer than 72 hours. The former Local Tour Permit Application (pre Dec 2007) had no such definition.

I would imagine that there is a lot of variation on interpretation amongst merit badge counselors. This is yet another case where scouting literature could benefit having a clarification.